2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

88a is the most common channel...
I'll keep an ear on 88 next time. Anyway, yesterday's fishing (April 28) off Thrasher was epic. First time over and I'm glad I went. Getting there was very lumpy, had to slow it down to 18-22kts. Took almost a couple hours to get there. By the time I did, there was what I would call an Armada of fishing boats so I knew I was in the right place. Hooked into 8-9 fish, landed 4. Most were caught just after 6pm. Travel back was idyllic, flat seas straight across back to Port Moody. Was able to do 28kts the whole way back and I think I made it in an hour and 20 minutes. Had some equipment failures. My panther kicker steering quit just as I was reeling in a big one (lost it as a result). Rebuilt the dam think on the water (lost an hour) and got it working for the rest of the day. One down rigger I rebuilt the day before wasn't wired up properly either but I managed.
I can't imagine crossing the straight if the weather turned! Hope I never get caught.

Out at thrasher now. Conditions are awesome.
Three fish in the box.
100-121 ft. Caught On skinny G , anchovie and nogs needle
Very little wind here.
Happy friday :cool:
Yah, it was great. Epic fishing day. Funny thing, I did much better on spoons than anchovies (spoon was a black/green/blue stripe thing) at 120'.

The wife caught a 21 pound marble Chinook off Roger Curtis yesterday. 160 on the rigger. We had a few shakers and one that was just short. Perfect weather out there, a little red on the neck and face!

Mike
Where exactly is Roger Curtis? Can't find it on Navionics.

Only in "recent" years (the last 10) have the Whites really "taken over". When I first started fishing whites were rare... and you only ever really caught them in late August and September in the Strait.

Been catching whites springs in the spring for a long time Andrew, you are right though definitely more now (new hatchery concentration?). Marbles quite predominantly a Puget Sound Blackmouth??? And those beauty reds are BC beef...most predominant that we pump outta our hatchery, just dumped 50k today.
No matter what it is great to see the strong early pushes of fish.

Been catching whites springs in the spring for a long time Andrew, you are right though definitely more now (new hatchery concentration?). Marbles quite predominantly a Puget Sound Blackmouth??? And those beauty reds are BC beef...most predominant that we pump outta our hatchery, just dumped 50k today.
No matter what it is great to see the strong early pushes of fish.

Agreed nice to see.

I remember going over to Thrasher in the 80's and 90's and getting nothing but reds in April and May...and watching everyone come back with reds too.

I guess it was around 2003 or so I recall seeing more whites.

Crossed to thrasher late afternoon Friday... was exciting of the hop and we got a couple undersized to the boat and lost what felt like a keeper but then it slowed down for us after that. Was nice to fish in shorts and sandals! Saturday morning was a different story for weather but same for fish. A couple undersized and one keeper. Decided to cross to the hump and nothing and finally boxed a couple reds at south east Bowen. Hootchies at 140'... Great couple days

I hit Thrasher around 9 o'clock today, took about an hour to get two 15-18 Pounders right at the easternmost tip of the shelf. Got one on a green spackleback Jughead and the other on a No Bananas skinny G.
Lots of bait and shakers there as well, 110' down.

Friends report from thrasher:

Fished 7am-1pm hooked 2 legal Chinook and 7 undersize fish. Overall slow fishing compared to how it's been.

Friends report
Fished 7am-1pm hooked 2 legal Chinook and 7 undersize fish. Overall slow fishing compared to how it's been.
I think your friend isn't on good terms with the fish gods!
Seen multiple people on social media limit out before noon today. The fishing at thrasher continues to be solid for the most part.

Back