2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Everybody texts these days. Only ever hear Vancouver whale watching and johnboy on 88a lol

Is someone complaining about White springs? Are you a racist fisher?

Lol ;)

Two glasses of red wine in, much better half just asked ... can we catch a ling cod for dinner Sunday night ... so close, April 30 vs May 1, yet so far. Having said that, she did just agree to cross to Thrasher next Sunday to fish for ling cod ... might just have to find a salmon at the same time. ;)

Lots of chatter on 88 today ^^
Limits at thrasher. Double headers. Triple headers. Was releasing 8-10 pounders with the hope of something bigger. Biggest we got was 15. From what I heard on the radio and what I used sounds like the fish were biting basically anything. Beauty flat calm day, doesn't get any better.

The wife caught a 21 pound marble Chinook off Roger Curtis yesterday. 160 on the rigger. We had a few shakers and one that was just short. Perfect weather out there, a little red on the neck and face!

Mike

Made the crossing yesterday on a buddy's boat to see what all the fuss was about at Thrasher.
Put in a half day, hit about 10 sporadically, brought 5 home. Hootchies and anchovies beat spoons, but there didn't seem to be much of a pattern to the action, shallow rod, deep rod, in tight, offshore. Nothing big, all cookie cutters.
Great time had by all.

Usually lots of whites and marbled this time of year at Thrasher, also lots of sockeye coloured reds. Some of the best table fare in this earlier season.

Only in "recent" years (the last 10) have the Whites really "taken over". When I first started fishing whites were rare... and you only ever really caught them in late August and September in the Strait.

We cooked up a fillet of a marble and a fillet of a red a couple nights ago. Family loved them both equally. Similar in flavor just the red was a little bit denser with a little bit more flavor. The marble was a bit lighter in flavor but both so delicious. Next ocean meal will be a Spring, Ling, Crab, Prawn chowder. Soooo good!!

The 25kt winds have closed in between Vancouver and thrasher. In my humble opinion I would stay on whatever side you're on and if you need to cross do it tomorrow afternoon.

lots of sockeye coloured reds. Some of the best table fare in this earlier season.

I had one of those yesterday!! Confused the hell out of me. Charcoal grill for ten minutes, can't beat it.

Back