2016 Sooke Reports

It was still going at lunch today. Right up till I pulled my gear at 115, guys were still getting fish.

Good fishing from the Trap to the Head today in the fog
came home with 4 , 3 in the teens and one 24 pounds.
Lost two more good ones.
60 to 70'...from 8 - 10 when we quit.

Good fishing from the Trap to the Head today in the fog
came home with 4 , 3 in the teens and one 24 pounds.
Lost two more good ones.
60 to 70'...from 8 - 10 when we quit.

May I ask what you were using for teasers and flashers? :) Thanks in advance!

~I might head out tomorrow with a buddy.

May I ask what you were using for teasers and flashers? :) Thanks in advance!

~I might head out tomorrow with a buddy.

we like the Green Betsy Flasher, 6' leads and gold-sliver or green silver teaser heads and 10 to a pack anchovies
BUT don't get caught up on the flashers and heads...they are designed mostly to catch fishermen
When the fish are there like they were today almost anything will work
The bait we found was small, so Coho Killer, or Andrew Needlefish spoons also work as well.
It's all about being lucky enough to be at the right place and the right time
And guess what...they will probably be somewhere else tomorrow
sure nice to see more fish showing

Fished west from 9-5. Hit a 7lb hatchery coho off Otter and a little later an 18lb chinook. A few shakers to the boat and missed a few good hits. the afternoon was slower but did have a solid hit and a few stripped anchovies later in the day.

The coho had a 6" herring in it, nothing in the chinook.

we like the Green Betsy Flasher, 6' leads and gold-sliver or green silver teaser heads and 10 to a pack anchovies
BUT don't get caught up on the flashers and heads...they are designed mostly to catch fishermen
When the fish are there like they were today almost anything will work
The bait we found was small, so Coho Killer, or Andrew Needlefish spoons also work as well.
It's all about being lucky enough to be at the right place and the right time
And guess what...they will probably be somewhere else tomorrow
sure nice to see more fish showing

Hey thanks for that, my fave is an old blue clear teaser head with scale pattern covered in fish tooth marks I used a long time ago.... but it hasn't produced the last few times we've been out so I though I'd ask what guys are using these days. I just got a boat and I'm getting back into fishing after taking a break for about 8-10 yrs and it seems the old gear hasn't worked so far heheh...Cheers and tight lines:)

Thx for sharing gone fishin that's the nice thing about this forum

Agreed! Thanks for helping a re-born newbie lol. I used to have it just dialed in around Aldridge and Beechy but no luck so far, been out three times...Might try again tomorrow....it sure is nice to be back out on the water though, a fish would be a bonus lol....maybe we'll launch from Esquimalt fish might be in town by tomorrow lols.

Put in an afternoon shift... sort of.... decided to anchor up for Hali.... current was crazy fast... 3 pounds wouldn't stay down. Buoy pretty much under water. I felt the Navionics App was off by about an hour.... :(
Once the tide slowed... one massive hit... spooled a bunch of line then got off.
Did not try for Salmon.... will be out again in the AM... and report what I can.
We have also been using brined and dyed anchovies in chartreuse teaser heads as well as the AP spoons.... both seem to be working.
No fog in the AM will be nice for sure.... Tight lines!

Put in an afternoon shift... sort of.... decided to anchor up for Hali.... current was crazy fast... 3 pounds wouldn't stay down. Buoy pretty much under water. I felt the Navionics App was off by about an hour.... :(
Once the tide slowed... one massive hit... spooled a bunch of line then got off.
Did not try for Salmon.... will be out again in the AM... and report what I can.
We have also been using brined and dyed anchovies in chartreuse teaser heads as well as the AP spoons.... both seem to be working.
No fog in the AM will be nice for sure.... Tight lines!

Dont quote me but i believe the fishingn regs say that when fishing for halibut your restricted to a 1kg weight....so 2.2 lbs max.....

Might want to double check into that so that you dont get burned while out fishing.

Thankfls to everyone for the fishing reports...looking forward to gettting out there saturday. Will post a report
Cheers
Sudsy

I fished Pedder Bay today...I didn't get too early of a start, in the water by about 930 am. Fished close to the kelp beds, a nice little bite came on around 1030ish, I lost the first one right at the boat, it was maybe around 16 lbs. The other two boats fishing near me also landed one each around the same time. I got another nice one on shortly after and was able to get it in the boat, a 14lb white spring. Got the first fish at 60 feet and the keeper at 45 feet, on anchovy with a glow head. I got one more nice strike but it didn't stick just before I packed it in at around 1:30 pm. An absolutely gorgeous day on the water.

Dont quote me but i believe the fishingn regs say that when fishing for halibut your restricted to a 1kg weight....so 2.2 lbs max.....

Might want to double check into that so that you dont get burned while out fishing.

Thankfls to everyone for the fishing reports...looking forward to gettting out there saturday. Will post a report
Cheers
Sudsy
good to know...... thanks for the info..... interesting enough... the local tackle shop sells 3 pound weights....

good day today at Otter and Muir fished 7:30 -1:30. Got a 16 off Otter at 10am @70' on betsy combo then moved to Muir at noon. Had triple header within 5 min, got 2 of the 3 a 10 & 7lb springs. the third was much larger but lost it before getting the net back ready. Now I know why I see 2 nets on some boats.

And you also know why most boats run two rods. Lol.

Great to hear there's fish out there just in time for the derby.

good to know...... thanks for the info..... interesting enough... the local tackle shop sells 3 pound weights....
Those 3 pound weights might be meant to be used for prawn/crab traps to keep them secured on the bottom. Especially with prawn traps you want to add some weights due to current and depth in Sooke Basin.

Those 3 pound weights might be meant to be used for prawn/crab traps to keep them secured on the bottom. Especially with prawn traps you want to add some weights due to current and depth in Sooke Basin.
It is illegal to: fish with a fixed weight (sinker) greater than 1 kg except on a downrigger line, in which case the fishing line must be attached to the downrigger by a release clip.

I did not know this either as we only had 2lb weights last trip and the current was very strong and wished we had 3lbers lol :)

BWD was right today; ESE air flow and no fog. :)Went down to Muir with my brother from U.K. Arrived at 7:00am and joined the throng and made many passes throughout the morning. Had one coho which came off and saw maybe 5 fish being caught several of which looked like small coho. Otherwise no hits.

One amusing thing was we had a flasher and bait on top as we were in 20’ of water and a gull came and took the bait. Problem was line was in the clip and when we retrieved the gear the gull was pulled under. Came to the boat and was lightly hooked in the end of the beak. Unhooked he flapped off straight away, none the worse for his ordeal.

At lunchtime a strong east wind blew up and we abandoned a disappointing Muir and headed back past Otter with the tide. Right off the end doing about 4.5K SOG we had a big hit. After a very strong run we managed to boat a 16lb fish in rough waves and current now swirling around Otter. The successful teaser was purple/gold chrome. The bloody nose one had no hits all day.

A great end to a great day!:D

Last edited:
English...full moon usually means slow mornings..except maybe a very short crack of dawn bite....I find the afternoons come on with a good bite on the fast flood when there is a full moon. That happened for me yesterday at Otter when it was hard to keep something in the water fishing...they were biting it as soon as you got it down. Bigger fish too!! Going to be a hot summer weekend and the best Chinook fishing of the year. The timing could not be better for those who have tickets in the JDF Fishing Tournament this weekend. Tickets are still being sold until about 4pm Friday.

Aha!...... lets get past the three pounds of weight.... won't happen again....
Todays report..... f'in awesome!
Limited out on Spring... all over 20..... was at Muir......
Like Profisher said... slow start... then went pretty heavy and consistent till we limited out about 1:30.
Even bagged a couple clipped Coho.... let several unclipped ones of back to mate....
I think..... we have it figured out.
One more troll in the AM.. will tell me if it was dumb butt luck.... or we got it.

Back