2016 Sooke Reports

Out at dawn to possession. 5 shakers and didn't see any nets out. Trolled down to the trap and played in the slop with 30 other boats for a few passes and watched some fish get caught. Had to be in early so trolled back and caught a 12lb around iron mine. Pulled the gear and in by 10. Most fish I saw were around that size...

Out at 6 this morning, pretty choppy and overcast out around beechy.
A couple hits, one undersized and a Rockfish is all we had for our trouble.
Wind kept kicking up so we called it about noon.

To top it off I lost my scotty landing net. Lost it right off beechy and wind was blowing south.
If anyone came across a black scotty landing net with black rope/mesh with a couple zip ties please let me know.

Headed to Sooke in the AM for four days.... taking a couple buddies out... just to clarify.... Cohos.... can be kept if Hatchery?

Well our annual trip has come to an end. Today was the best day fishing out of the four, with a special thanks to Blue Wolf Charters with some expert advice!! Picked up a 16-12-10-8 and 6lbers plus a dozen shakers. Went through 4 packs of anchovies. All our fish were on teasers at 40/50' on the DRs. The 16lber was a fun one as is got hooked in the side behind the gill, felt like a 40lber, 1/2 hour later it was in the boat. Looks like the fishing is picking up and can't wait to be back next year. Good luck out there guys and thanks again Wolf!!!

No problem Franko wished we met earlier on in the week to chat with you more, have a few more bevies at the resort always great to hang with guys on the forum . Ive met alot of great guys on here and appreciate the guys that come up to me and say "hi"!!!! Glad you finally got into them, to bad you have to leave now but their is always next year. by then you will have forgot the secret set up LOL LOL

Thanks Bud Wolf

Boat is in....... first trip will be 6AM... saw a few nice Spring on the cleaning table just now. Talked with two other guides that said it has certainly picked up last few days...... sounds like my timing was good for once!

Spent some time on the water the last few days and seems like time spent mostly watching the orcas and humpbacks. Halibut fishing hasn't been successful but I know of a few caught by others. Salmon fishing hasn't been a great success either but I've seen others catch them.

I haven't seen much bait around but I haven't ventured far from the Barbour.

The coho caught don't seem to have much fight in them, even the ones over 5lbs.

Any word on how the fishing was this morning thinking of going tomorrow morning, any info would be great.
We left Sooke yesterday after 5 days on the water. Fishing is definitely getting better towards the end of our trip, its too bad we kinda missed the times by a week. You should have no problem getting a couple hogs. Muir/Otter was the best for us.

This AM was a grind.. loads of boats at Muir, Otter, Trailer park... etc.... saw very few nets... not many reports of big fish. We lost a screamer... picked up a couple small ones and 2 nice sized Coho that we had to let go because they grew that funny fin near their back....:) Headed out again in an hour or two.

We were at the trap this AM for nothing but shakers. I did see one nice 20 liber boated.
T2

Just got back in from second outing for the day.... nada..... wind and waves and kelp made it pretty tough to keep a troll going. Tomorrow!

Wow. Exact opposite what I heard on the dock at Sooke Harbour Marina this evening. A couple of guides and another fisherman both described it as excellent. 2 different boats had limits of springs by 11am. I saw the fish at the cleaning station too. One guide said it was like pink fishing it was so hot.
We are out tomorrow morning so will see what it is like for us.

Wow. Exact opposite what I heard on the dock at Sooke Harbour Marina this evening. A couple of guides and another fisherman both described it as excellent. 2 different boats had limits of springs by 11am. I saw the fish at the cleaning station too. One guide said it was like pink fishing it was so hot.
We are out tomorrow morning so will see what it is like for us.
I think hit and miss for sure.... it appeared to be mostly miss... but I agree... there are fish there... just have to find them... then I am sure it will be hot. Nut certainly not like previous years where there were everywhere.... much more spotty.

SSSHHHHH sir reel...... but have to wonder how anyone can see fish landed in all this fog??
but can say a 30 was caught at trap some at beechy a few at possesion and all other places so I would say there is fish everywhere being caught in sooke waters.
Good luck Wolf

Foggy out for sure.... watched two large boats come within inches of one another this morning.... I think the dowrigger booms hit between them.... yikes... You can't see the other boat until almost on you.
Hit some spring this AM... was great fishing from 6:30 till about 8:30.. tides slacks and changes ... bite seemed to shut down at that time. Kept three Spring all about 10 pounds.... let go about 6 Wild Coho.... all had that darn funny fin on the back... must be a disease.... LOL
Heading out for Hali shortly.... will update again after.
Get an absolute kick from the guides buzzing one another then saying "switch"..... hiding all that secret info... all good I guess when you make living doing it.
It is just funny to listen to...... tight lines@!

Poked slowly out in the fog this morning from 8:00am until 12:30am. Stayed round Possession/Harbour Mouth/Bluffs area as did not fancy running far in the fog. It did not lift until 11:30am.No hits at all. Did not see any nets in the water either, but maybe they were being boated all around us and we could not see anything because of the fog. :)LOL (From the Ronj's post above we probably missed the bite though. :cool:) Saw one 12lb fish at Sunny Shores dock.
Wind prediction is ESE tomorrow so should be no fog. So "Fog Willing", going to try Muir again tomorrow with my visiting brother.

Last edited:
Pushed off the dock at around 6am. Hit Muir and trolled to Sheringham. Not a sniff, so at about 9 pulled up and went to otter. It was on there. Had 4 strong fish on, and man what a bummer. We lost all 4! 1 snapped us off, and the other 3 managed to roll just right and have the hook slide right out.
Saw lots of fish caught, most were good size.

Anyone put in an afternoon shift last couple of days? Wondering if there has been a bite on a bit later.

Was hoping to take my kids out tomorrow but not in the fog with just me running the boat.
Thinking we might go around lunch time for a few hours.

Back