2015 Tuna Adventures

Great video why knot!!! Nice weather that day for sure.

Headed out today with Tidal Chaos (his boat is in the shop right now), my son, and my son's buddy.

We managed to get a few hours sleep this time but the run out was brutal. We headed up to Clayquot again and had to run straight into it from Ukee. The tide really stacked them up and we only managed 15 mph. Took 4 hours to get out there. We hit a quad right of the bat then just a few singles over the next hour and a half. We heard radio talk out west and the tuff boys helped us out. We trolled west and proceeded to plug the boat in a few hours. Average size around 20 with a few bigger ones thrown in the mix. After the effort to get out there it ended well:).

Weird day with very little life out there bird wise and jumper wise. We did see a pod of Northern Right Whale Dolphins which was a highlight of the day. Very cool mammals :cool:. First 6 banger for the boat too. Talk about Chinese fire drill on deck lol :D. Landed every one.

Would be great to see someone hook up and land a larger Bluefin. From my reading, it seems that the larger Bluefin (50-150lb) are typically caught on larger lures at slower speeds(3-5kts) and often down deeper. Thinking about running one rod with heavier line down deeper during the derby. Not sure what to do about the speed since most of the Albie's are caught at the 6-8kt speed. Any thoughts? Any experienced Bluefin guys out there?

My son and I had a good day out there today, boxed 24. They generally weren't that big, but we did get two large ones. Both the water and weather were beautiful.
It started off with a double header 5 mins into it. We mostly had singles after that though. We found a school and worked the area.
We finished off with a double then a triple, all in about 5 mins. We were done after that as we were out of ice.
The water was beautiful, you could see the hooked fish (and the school) so clearly way down.
Has anyone taken a mask and snorkel and jumped in before??? I need to add that to my list.
No talk on the VHF between boats out there today, clearly I'm on the wrong channel.
Be aware, no high speed internet in Tofino. I couldn't access Terrafin, so I used two day old charts. Destination #1 was at 59F, so we kept running out further.
Thx again to Fishtofino for posting the excellent forecast, it got us out there today.
Sorry. If i had know you were coming out i would have told you we were on ch 79

Went out the first time for Tuna on Friday with my 10 year old son and another fisherman with no experience.

Had read all the threads, studied up as best I could, and was LUCKY enough to hook up with Fishtofino and a few other boats.

Iced & Gassed up the night before. Headed out at 5:30. Went out a out 30 miles. Saw a couple of somethings jump a few miles apart, and started fishing not long after.
Ran 4 rods and 2 handlines. Every rod/line/lure got a fish. Had cedar plugs, zukers, a rappala and a surface popper. Each one hooked up at least 1 fish. So didn't really learn much about what works better/best.

First hookup was within minutes of putting the lines out. A Single we landed. Next another single landed. Then we lost 2 singles.

Then we had fish on 5 lines and landed them all! Exciting/Mayhem.

Being new at it, every time we had a fish on we slowed to boat to get the fish in, so good thing those 5 hit all at the same time. It was pretty nutz. Another missed single after that (after a long lull) and we headed in to do some Hali fishing. Ended up with 7 of 10.

Saw a pod of dolphins or porpoises on the way out.

Not a lot of birds, no sharks - which disappointed my son who was really looking forward to seeing shark fins in the water - he's at that age.

Great Trip.

Look forward to doing it again soon if possible.

Congratulations on the first trip. It's sounds like you did your research and went about it the right way:cool:.

Ran 4 rods and 2 handlines. Every rod/line/lure got a fish. Had cedar plugs, zukers, a rappala and a surface popper. Each one hooked up at least 1 fish. So didn't really learn much about what works better/best.

Looks like you learned what works! Congrats, sounds like an epic day.

84608fac064bc89789f2657167a5784d.jpg
1b7b0b46d79577ae641ccb3171b358e5.jpg
e5a43dde2a113570cca25e8560ab82ab.jpg
1bad017752b701d9697e4bff2808d792.jpg

Great weekend of tuna fishing for everyone! On friday we had 4 boats that boxed over 100!

Tykette Blue had tuna fever all over it! Most tuners to the boat and largest ever!! On sunday we did over 30 but will get the official count tomorrow during carking session.

Made up some jug-turds as we did last year... Paid off!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that looked like a jughead... Right on, sounds like it will be a great shootout!

50a2d12b40e1b9c9a4a6c6d27ec6727a.jpg
859bbf1f3dc77e1bf23056dda62c46c3.jpg
9bc7d669dcc02336b75159ba07833291.jpg

Total was 34..

Groceries are done.. Now to find bigger grades for the shoot-out.

Good fishn to everyone taking part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back