2015 Tuna Adventures

Some observations from the other day.

-Suspicious birds are your friend (I just like that saying lol).
-Some times the bait in the area are fast moving. The bird patches on this trip were unreal to say the least. One minute your zeroed in on them, look down at the screen or something on deck, look back and they are 100 yards plus in a different direction! Saury? Black and purple?
- Just because the first two days were hot during the week doesn't mean the day after will be (this is exactly what happened to Fishtofino and I on our live bait trip).
- Reading some articles on line and they suggest quite a bit of chum in the prop wash to start the stop. Something to try for sure.
- Wind sucks big time. Even 8-10 knots. Try to fish glass lol.
- Do not troll with all mono spooled reels (I'll let you find out for yourselves).
- Bright yellow braid attached to your swim bait will catch fish (2 this day to be exact).
- Timing and speed are everything.
- Hang an extra rod off the back corner with a weighted jig in a rod holder with the drag just loose enough to let it keep going down an inch or so at a time (hooked one up this way).
- I think our schools are smaller and one needs to practice how close you can get to them. We did a few stops where we went up wind quite a ways to start the drift and they didn't pan out very good. We also crashed the party, that everyone say's not to do, and did quite well. A few more trips under the belt will help, but all I am saying is try stuff.
- Get a good night sleep the night before because this is one hell of a fun way to fish em. They will kick your azz at the rail :p:).

Hopefully Jay will post up some more :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the boats that went out last night limited 4 people for a total of 80

They were done by noon

The limit will be about 4 each if guys keep posting photos like this. Also there is NO WAY you can properly care for the fish with that many on a sport boat like a small Grady.

If the current forecasts hold up this weekend looks pretty good. I may make a run out of Ilwaco on Sat. I have a new bait tank and I need to get it installed. This might be the weekend to play with that.

I was thinking of heading to Tofino for a Friday and/or Saturday trip with my son, for a last outing before school starts, but the long range forecast seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I don't have Bouy Weather though. I don't know now if it's smart to plan a trip now, but nothing ventured... As a backup I looked at the Tofino reports, not much advice on alternatives there!!!

According to Buoy weather the seas will get nice starting Wednesday/Thursday. There are a few boats planning on going out from Tofino on Friday.

With the big seas the last few days nobody was even tried to get offshore so.....hence no reports.

I'm looking into doing a trip to Westport next year. It would be for between 2 and 4 guys. I wanna book early to get the dates that we have. On a tight schedule. Who would you recommend booking with? Best bang for the buck to fish for 1 or 2 days not counting the ride out if we're sleeping on the water. Better to book with a big boat If the conditions are bad or a faster smaller boat? Is first or second week of August too early most years? New to alby fishing so any help would be great

I'm looking into doing a trip to Westport next year. It would be for between 2 and 4 guys. I wanna book early to get the dates that we have. On a tight schedule. Who would you recommend booking with? Best bang for the buck to fish for 1 or 2 days not counting the ride out if we're sleeping on the water. Better to book with a big boat If the conditions are bad or a faster smaller boat? Is first or second week of August too early most years? New to alby fishing so any help would be great

Mark Coleman's group is far and away the best small boat albacore charter out of Westport.
http://allriversguideservice.com/aboutyourguide.html. By August, the fishery is using going pretty well and the flattest seas are usually in August also. You should be good in the second week. The only thing I would say is allocate a few days extra as bad weather can keep you off the ocean more in this fishery than in salmon fishing.

I'll be running out of Tofino Friday on Rodzilla and out of Bamfield Saturday on the Trophy Hunter. If anyone else is heading out PM me and we can try to share info.

Mark Coleman's group is far and away the best small boat albacore charter out of Westport.
http://allriversguideservice.com/aboutyourguide.html. By August, the fishery is using going pretty well and the flattest seas are usually in August also. You should be good in the second week. The only thing I would say is allocate a few days extra as bad weather can keep you off the ocean more in this fishery than in salmon fishing.

Heading out with Mark this weekend for a couple days of livies. Should be good, he won 1st and 3rd place this year in the Washington Tuna Classic. Tuna on!

Have a great trip FB. Would love to hear about your experience when you get back.
And yes...lots of pictures.... just like Sculpin!

Heading out with Mark this weekend for a couple days of livies. Should be good, he won 1st and 3rd place this year in the Washington Tuna Classic. Tuna on!

Good luck Nick! Tower Todd has been captaining for that outfit a bit this year. They seem to have it really dialed in and really good captains. Your going to be so f&*#ing ruined lol ;).

Don't you just love the weather. Friday looks good but the weekend just got blown to ***** :(. Oh well, won't know till Friday morning anyway. Was planning on Saturday but might have to head up a day early now.

I am doing the BTS this year. my first time for Tuna. Do most people use outriggers? i was looking at the costs and felt really not worth the investment for a month of season? Perhaps Im wrong? I was going to use 3 off the back and 1 long line off each side? Any help on this? Also Bleed buckets, I see online that some are full of water and others are stuffed in buckets everywhere or just all over deck(not my style) ...here is my theory..slit gills put in bucket with hole in bottom, bleed out for 10 min or so, then put in well with water and ice, remove after about hour and pack in ice. really lot of questions i know but i am here to learn. Thanks

Back