2015 Tuna Adventures

first time out for tunas early september. Ran out after a limit of springs and hali. Found some 18c water and trolled 13k. Having only read about it, and sitting there wondering if the water was warm enough, were going fast enough, right place etc....6 minutes in BANG! tripple header. Proceeded over the next 3.5 hrs with 2 successfull quads 3 successfull triples and numerous doubles, for a total of 44. Ice was fading fast so we had to bolt. One word to describe first experience with tuna...EPIC Definately hooked!!

image4 (1).jpg.

image2 (1).jpg

image6.jpg

image1.jpg

Hali reels sustained heavy beatings

image2.jpg

image4 (2).jpg

awesome! that must have been a blast!
how far out did you run and did you head out from Tofino?

Great post hooktenter. Im pretty sure you will turn things around on your next trips like maybe go get your tuna's first then go for those second class species. LOL Your addicted now so you will understand.

addicted is the right word alright. sit and stare offshore all day now. lol planing stages for out riggers as well. we were at the entrance to the Esperanza canyon. Warm water progresively moved off quickly after that day. 30 k out first day 44. 40 k out 2nd 14 and 55k out 3rd and 6. Pretty good, considering no help from Capt. TerraFinn I suppose.

Well that was an epic season for myself despite only making it out 4 times this year. All 4 trips were great with good sized fish and good numbers. This was the first season I did not get skunked once. I did my first overnighter and learned a few things(got a para anchor after that).
Did 2 trips of jigging and chunking which were reasonably successful with some trolling mixed in as well. Man-0-man jigging and chunking is very VERY entertaining! I don't want to troll any more.
There seemed to be fish out there all season without the gap in mid july. The fishing was on at the top of july and just never quit! Cant ask for anything better than that.

I'll spend the winter dreaming of Juna (June caught tuna) and jigging and chunking tactics. Well after hunting season anyway I will.

Cool. I just looked at the weather for the week. Wow. Lots of tuna weather. Good luck out there.

Out of Nootka yesterday, 30 miles out. The water was OK with winds to 15knots. The best surface show I've seen with tuna splashing and jumping on the surface. X-raps and swim baits were the ticket, with a couple on the cast deadly dick. Nothing on zukers/wood plugs.

Early in the day we found large schools of sauries on the surface, but no tuna. Later when we found the fish, they were all full of a mix of shrimp and tiny squid. Landed 18 10-22lbs (fairly small) until we had to leave at 1.00pm (due to wind and a long trip home).

Question? What is the coldest water you guys have caught tuna in? The temp was 57.6 where we had our best luck, with the lowest temp at 57.4 on the last fish. Normally, we would have bypassed that cold, if we hadn't seen the surface action.

I will usually wait until 58.5+ before we drop the gear. We hit up to 60.5 degree water this trip, but it was barren. Like all things, just when you think you know what you are doing...................................................

I've got them in 12.5C 54.5F. Have you calibrated your temp gauge?

I'm back in Canada this week, was hoping still possible this weekend or next.

The weather looks great all week except Friday but that can change anyday. I'm thinking about Octuna. Sunday maybe.........

Anyone out of Tofino looking at Sat or Sun?
Bouyweather and WindyTV have good conditions.
Temps look good at 30 miles

Im out for the season. Sorry guys. Good luck if you go. Some nice weather indeed.

Sculpin I might be goin sat from bamfield. ...
So keep in touch. ....depending on tha weather

Back