2015 Tuna Adventures

Outriggers aren't really necessary for Albies as to the rest you'll do fine just be sure to spend some time imagining what your spread looks like from underneath-hulls/motors all put out a different pattern of wake so exact placement can be different too just be sure fish can see what you're dragging.

People in the Pac NW often put lures quite close to the boat something I was taught was a mistake especially with outboards but it works well here.

Hey Eric,

Go to the first night seminar and the captains meeting, everyone will be more than ready to supply you with info and help with your ?'s.
I have been on a bunch of different boats and some use outriggers and some don't. As DB said, outriggers are by no means a necessity.

The shots of tuna laying all over the decks is during the mayhem of a bite which is fast and furious at times, you have to leave them on the deck, depending on your manpower on board while resetting your spread and fighting fish. Once it cools down you start the process of dealing with the fish.

Good luck and see you out there!

Guy

These replace outriggers very well and they catch tones of fish. Can be fished off rods or a high hand line. They do not like very rough weather but can be fished closer to the boat if it is rough. PNT has them and the store in ukee.
imagejpeg

I'm on my iPad and can't post a photo of these yo-Zuri left and right splash boats. Sorry. Maybe some one can step in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you just love the weather. Friday looks good but the weekend just got blown to ***** :(. Oh well, won't know till Friday morning anyway. Was planning on Saturday but might have to head up a day early now.

The weatherman givith and the weatherman takith away.

here is my theory..slit gills put in bucket with hole in bottom, bleed out for 10 min or so, then put in well with water and ice, remove after about hour and pack in ice. really lot of questions i know but i am here to learn. Thanks
This sounds good. I like to bleed head down in buckets for the gravity assist(no water or slush). Then slush up to two hours then pack in ice. You have to have a slush capacity that can handle the bite. What I mean is you can fish 16 hours and catch most of your fish in two hours of that day when the bite is ON. Your slush should be about the size of a large fishing cooler. Slushing in a cooler is very efficient(savings on ice). I start with it half full.
You have to carry empty containers for handling ice otherwise it is hard to pack coolers with fish if you have nowhere to put the ice.
My fish handling system is the one thing I find myself honing constantly. It's a lot of work and it's worth the effort to achieve a high grade product.

Is Friday still looking good according to Bouy Weather? My son and I will head over to Tofino tomorrow if that's the case. Not too much to see on Terrafin the last time I looked, but I'll check it again later.

This sounds good. I like to bleed head down in buckets for the gravity assist(no water or slush). Then slush up to two hours then pack in ice. You have to have a slush capacity that can handle the bite. What I mean is you can fish 16 hours and catch most of your fish in two hours of that day when the bite is ON. Your slush should be about the size of a large fishing cooler. Slushing in a cooler is very efficient(savings on ice). I start with it half full.
You have to carry empty containers for handling ice otherwise it is hard to pack coolers with fish if you have nowhere to put the ice.
My fish handling system is the one thing I find myself honing constantly. It's a lot of work and it's worth the effort to achieve a high grade product.

thank you everyone for your help

Is Friday still looking good according to Bouy Weather? My son and I will head over to Tofino tomorrow if that's the case. Not too much to see on Terrafin the last time I looked, but I'll check it again later.

Home

Home

Thursday 9/3
Morning

Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.

Seas: WNW 1.8 meters at 9 seconds

Winds: ENE 1 to 2 knots
Afternoon

Light winds with a slight chop. Small long period swell.

Seas: SW 1.6 meters at 11 seconds

Winds: WNW 6 to 8 knots

Friday 9/4
Morning

Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small long period swell.

Seas: SSW 1.2 meters at 12 seconds

Winds: N 2 to 3 knots
Afternoon

Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small long period swell.

Seas: SSW 1.3 meters at 12 seconds

Winds: WNW 12 to 16 knots

Saturday 9/5
Morning

Seas: SW 1.3 meters at 12 seconds

Winds: WNW 10 to 14 knots
Afternoon

Seas: SW 1.2 meters at 16 seconds

Winds: WNW 8 to 11 knots

Sunday 9/6
Morning

Seas: WSW 1.6 meters at 13 seconds

Winds: WNW 4 to 5 knots

Afternoon

Seas: SW 1.7 meters at 20 seconds

Winds: WNW 8 to 11 knots

Monday 9/7
Morning

Seas: SW 1.7 meters at 19 seconds

Winds: NW 2 to 2 knots

Afternoon

Seas: SW 1.6 meters at 19 seconds

Winds: WNW 7 to 10 knots

Tuesday 9/8
Morning

Seas: SW 1.6 meters at 17 seconds

Winds: WNW 3 to 4 knots

Afternoon

Seas: SW 1.6 meters at 16 seconds

Winds: WNW 7 to 10 knots

Wind & Wave Forecast for 48.75º N / 125.75º W

Good luck Nick! Tower Todd has been captaining for that outfit a bit this year. They seem to have it really dialed in and really good captains. Your going to be so f&*#ing ruined lol ;).

Pretty bloody pumped! (albi pun intended) We have a good crew of guys so hopefully I will have some time to put down a rod and work the cams for a bit. Should be an unreal expedition. It's a live bait tour but I hope to chuck a few poppers at them should the catching permit. :D

My son and I had a good day out there today, boxed 24. They generally weren't that big, but we did get two large ones. Both the water and weather were beautiful.
It started off with a double header 5 mins into it. We mostly had singles after that though. We found a school and worked the area.
We finished off with a double then a triple, all in about 5 mins. We were done after that as we were out of ice.
The water was beautiful, you could see the hooked fish (and the school) so clearly way down.
Has anyone taken a mask and snorkel and jumped in before??? I need to add that to my list.
No talk on the VHF between boats out there today, clearly I'm on the wrong channel.
Be aware, no high speed internet in Tofino. I couldn't access Terrafin, so I used two day old charts. Destination #1 was at 59F, so we kept running out further.
Thx again to Fishtofino for posting the excellent forecast, it got us out there today.

My son and I had a good day out there today, boxed 24. They generally weren't that big, but we did get two large ones. Both the water and weather were beautiful.
It started off with a double header 5 mins into it. We mostly had singles after that though. We found a school and worked the area.
We finished off with a double then a triple, all in about 5 mins. We were done after that as we were out of ice.
The water was beautiful, you could see the hooked fish (and the school) so clearly way down.
Has anyone taken a mask and snorkel and jumped in before??? I need to add that to my list.
No talk on the VHF between boats out there today, clearly I'm on the wrong channel.
Be aware, no high speed internet in Tofino. I couldn't access Terrafin, so I used two day old charts. Destination #1 was at 59F, so we kept running out further.
Thx again to Fishtofino for posting the excellent forecast, it got us out there today.

Nice job Eriks, are you hooked on ? How are the arms and backs?

That's pretty unreal. I can't imagine the kind of soulless human who nails a record sized BFT on live bait and doesn't crack a smile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday was just a little bit epic for tuna, the bar keeps getting pushed higher.
My favourite thing is still the camaraderie among the fishers.

Guys - check out this 56.3# BLUEFIN caught out of Ilwaco this week!
I'm heading down to get my live well installed later this week and will be fishing next weekend (weather permitting) - maybe I can find one too.

Thread on BD (warning some user avatars may not be safe for work on that site) -

- http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/52-blue-fin.600593/

Just the image of the fish

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/attachments/image-jpg.620529/

Saw a large Bluefin jump clear out of the water behind our boat yesterday....we were all yelling...bite! Bite!! But he didn't, lol. Guess we will have to be satisfied with 3 coolers full of Albacores. ;)

Saw a large Bluefin jump clear out of the water behind our boat yesterday....we were all yelling...bite! Bite!! But he didn't, lol. Guess we will have to be satisfied with 3 coolers full of Albacores. ;)
How large?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back