2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

Believe can launch a small boat right at the Little Q. Get out into 30-50 feet water. Drift, anchor, tie off to one of the private buoys there. If they ask you to move, just move. Regular rod with mcdeep or similar jig. Starting late Aug the springs usually hang around the Little Q. Always see a small boat or two jigging and often see them into fish…

Halibut.. not sure about regular in that area! But if you venture out to 100-150' deep and use your sounder to find gravel bottom; can tie into some lings. May want heavier jigs to rattle bottom..

Keep your rod bent

PB

Thanks PB, really appreciate the input!

Any reports from today? I would like to get out for an early morning fish tomorrow. It looks glassy right now but they are calling for a 15 knot wind to come up overnight. I guess I will check the water early.

Out fishing around Winchelsea yesterday in the afternoon and through -seaweed- the high slack. Slow going until-seaweed- around 5pm.

Couple of -seaweed- undersize and one good hit that-seaweed- got off. 3 inch Pink Sink and Kelly McGee spoons/ Green-Silver-Glow flasher.

Marked some bait around.Seaweed.

Noticed-seaweed- several people jigging in the closed area.

Watched one -seaweed- guy catch a large salmon tight-seaweed- into the island in the closed zone in about 50ft of water.

He even came over---seaweed--- and pulled up along side us and bragged about it........seaweed.

Not sure if ----seaweed------jigging a salmon lure mid-water constitutes bottom fishing-----seaweed-----but have no way of knowing if he went to the bottom to get it.......seaweed.

Clearly saw the jigs on their ----seaweed-----lines when they pulled up along side us.....seaweed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was out last night in the same area and noticed the same boats in the RCA area just south of Ada Islands.

I didn't do anywhere near as well as Seafever, didn't see much at all on the sounder between 3 and 7pm and no hits at all, let alone fish in the boat. There is the difference experience makes! :)

I'd be interested to know how others interpret the closed zone; as a newbie to boat fishing, I've poured over the regs and definitely interpreted the closed zone to be 'no bottom contact' so I'd assume that mid-water jigging would be fine.

Yes, a fair amount of weed and tons of it along the current line.

Out fishing around Winchelsea yesterday in the afternoon and through -seaweed- the high slack. Slow going until-seaweed- around 5pm.

Couple of -seaweed- undersize and one good hit that-seaweed- got off. 3 inch Pink Sink and Kelly McGee spoons/ Green-Silver-Glow flasher.

Marked some bait around.Seaweed.

Noticed-seaweed- several people jigging in the closed area.

Watched one -seaweed- guy catch a large salmon tight-seaweed- into the island in the closed zone in about 50ft of water.

He even came over---seaweed--- and pulled up along side us and bragged about it........seaweed.

Not sure if ----seaweed------jigging a salmon lure mid-water constitutes bottom fishing-----seaweed-----but have no way of knowing if he went to the bottom to get it.......seaweed.

Clearly saw the jigs on their ----seaweed-----lines when they pulled up along side us.....seaweed.

I would be less concerned about guys jigging in Whiskey Golf and more concerned about trolling through an RCA. Just a heads up if you troll from winchelsea to schooner you quickly enter it. Guys troll through it all the time.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...uth-sud/NanooseSchoonerCoveChart3512-eng.html

Glad to see that big NW finally die. Went camping for the last trip of the year on this side. Speared some ling for fish tacos with some uni. Still solid numbers of Chinook in most areas. Same old, hootchies 100-180. Good luck the rest of the season.

Tripitaka........I was actually talking about that triangular boundary they have marked around Winchelsea that was firstly established because there are apparently a load of underwater cables leading to Winchelsea. But now it incorporates the saving of Glass Sponges too.
This not an RCA....

No bottom fishing allowed there but trolling is o.k. There are signs on Winchelsea.

Kelly:- yep...I know about the RCA's...........used to fish a lot of those places time past when there weren't any.......

Tried dragging around a couple of Green Splatterbacks but they didn't seem to be on the menu yesterday.

I'm still a believer in your color choices...have nailed lots of fish on those before plus the green/glow or green/white needlefish hoochies you often used to mention in posts gone by......:cool:

Green/white spoons too......... :p

Cheers and good fishing, sir.........

Yes, I think I came to that conclusion after I had replied, Seafever. I'll admit that I did have 5-10mins jigging in that area as I'd found a couple of clouds of baitfish on the sonar and wanted to see if anything was around them. I was only at 50' in 150+ water though so I figured I was OK as I was nowhere near the bottom. There did seem to be a couple of small boats down by the RCA though but I'm not accusing anyone as they could have been right down on the edge but not actually in it and there was no way I could tell for sure without going over there.

I was running 3" Kitchen Sink and Mongoose on the troll at various depths between 50' and 150'. Folks shouldn't read into that though; the failure of an elephant to play a piano is neither the fault of the elephant or the piano. ;-)

Tried french Creek hump this afternoon. Finally some nice calm water, afew weeds in the normal areas but nothing like 2 weeks ago. No bait balls but quite afew marks 60-100 ft possibly coho as the wife lost 3 (acted like coho while fighting them). Afew taps from deep but no hits off clip, all action was from around 100ft with a white polkadot spoon and red/green/silver flasher.

Quote from the regs:

Certain coastal areas are designated rockfish conservation areas (RCAs). Sport
fishing is not allowed in RCAs, except for gathering the following:
• invertebrates by hand picking or diving
• crab by trap
• shrimp or prawn by trap
• smelt by gillnet

I was out last night in the same area and noticed the same boats in the RCA area just south of Ada Islands.

I didn't do anywhere near as well as Seafever, didn't see much at all on the sounder between 3 and 7pm and no hits at all, let alone fish in the boat. There is the difference experience makes! :)

I'd be interested to know how others interpret the closed zone; as a newbie to boat fishing, I've poured over the regs and definitely interpreted the closed zone to be 'no bottom contact' so I'd assume that mid-water jigging would be fine.

Yes, a fair amount of weed and tons of it along the current line.

Even as a newbie boat angler I'm fully aware of the limitations of the RCAs. For the avoidance of doubt, that isn't the zone Seafever and I are referring to here for the fishing part. Here is the closure notice:

No anchorage and no trap or bottom contact fishing area: Anchoring and bottom contact fishing north of Winchelsea Islands, bounded by 49°18.76’N, 124° 06.260’ W and 49°17.213’ N, 124° 02.135’ W and 49° 17.457’ N, 124° 04.577’ W and 49° 17.730 N, 124° 05.217’ W, is prohibited. Fishing in this area is restricted to gear that does not contact the bottom and is extended to trap fishing and bottom jigging. Trolling in the area is permitted. For further information visit: http://www.vtos.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/notship/ntsactive.htm

Calm forecast was actually a little choppy this morning. Only weeds were in the entrance to the marina. A couple small bait marks and a few random marks more to the top 100 ft. Released two undersized that took to green flashers and green/white spoons around 115 ft. A few taps down deeper but nothing off the clip.

Was out early this morning for a couple of hours off French Creek. Slow for the most part but managed to nail a 12 1/2 pounder using a 5" coyote all white with iredescent on one side. Sorry, don't know the name but it looked cool in the store and it works. I was in about 250' of water fishing about 170'. It seems a little slow right now, hopefully will pick up soon and maybe the wind will cooperate.

Was out yesterday afternoon out front from 3-8:30. Fished hootchies, spoons and anchovies at all different depths. Not even a sniff.

Out off Winchelsea Wednesday night. 1 keeper and lots of small springs. Needlefish bait around but not a lot of it...and the whales dropped in for a visit at slack water. Weather was great though.

Fished french creek hump this morning. Not as calm as forecast! Afew marks and afew small random bait balls. Had afew good taps and one hit off the clip but gone. Best action 130-140 ft with green/yellow flasher and green/yellow spoons.

Does anyone here have a link to the closed fishing areas for sponges here in the gulf? I believe some exist around my area but I couldn't Goggle a link to the actual locations. Just want to avoid fishing incorrectly in the wrong place:)

These are not RCA's

After a call from a fellow Sports Fishing BC enthusiast the sponge areas are now clear to me. To see these 9 in the gulf check out the DFO site (scroll down under the Shellfish spot and click on the maps like the RCA zone maps)
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s17-eng.html

Until further notice, the following waters will be closed to the harvest of prawn and crab to protect glass sponge reefs in the Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound:
1. Howe Sound – Defence Islands Closure Subarea 28-4
2. Howe Sound – Queen Charlotte Channel Closures Subareas 28-2 and 28-3
3. Foreslope Hills Closure Subarea 29-3
4. Outer Gulf Islands Closure Subareas 18-1 and 29-4
5. Gabriola Island Closure Subarea 17-11
6. Parksville Closure Subareas 14-2 and 14-3
7. East of Hornby Island Closure Subarea 14-6
8. Sechelt Closure Subarea 29-2
9. Halibut Bank Closure Subarea 29-2

Back