2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

That's good news, it was getting pretty spotty. Tried Saturday but got tired of de-weeding.

Got out for a late fish at Winchelsea and picked up a nice scrappy fish. Tried plugs for an hour with no hits so switched over to Kitchen Sink at 120'
Pearce 2015 Wincelsea.JPG

Nice fish RedFisher. Spent the day out there between Winchelsea, Balenas and Gerald. Got 2 shakers, a baby ling and a few Pcod.

Out with Redfisher and MasterNate for a quick tour around winchelsea tonight. Nate and Red were both into fish...Red's fish fell off after a nice little battle - Nate got his in after a long, long run. His fish dressed out at 17, so we're guessing 19. Both anglers were using Red's new AMUNDSON reels, each stated that they loved the fight. I was Capt...beauty night out there. :)

View attachment 18506

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldnt agree more with you StormTrooper. Those Amundsons reels are so smooth. I love it when the fish runs. It is why I love to fish so much. Pure adrenaline rush.

Out tonite at Winchelsea - got 2 smaller reds (10 lbs) and lost 5. Looking like the whites have moved on. :( Kitchen sink and mongoose. Back out in morning for round 2 then moving boat over to Port Alberni for the season.

Out tonite at Winchelsea - got 2 smaller reds (10 lbs) and lost 5. Looking like the whites have moved on. :( Kitchen sink and mongoose. Back out in morning for round 2 then moving boat over to Port Alberni for the season.

I never tried to eat a spring salmon that has white meat...is red meat tastes better than white meat? Is white meat good for smoking?

There is absolutely no difference in taste. One of the great urban myths of fishing from the old days when the big companies used to rip off the commercial guys on the price of white springs then smoke them and make a ton of money selling them on the eastern US market. The majority of white springs we see are fall run Harrison fish.

There were good numbers of fish around this week into the low 20s. Quite a few spots are holding the fish both on the Vancouver Island side and across the straight. The bites are fast and furious, sometimes only lasting an hour and then turning off completely. They've also moved a bit deeper with most in the 160-180 ft range and the splatterback hootchies continued to be the hot gear. Hopefully this wind dies down, it's been tough bouncing around in 25 knots.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no difference in taste. One of the great urban myths of fishing from the old days when the big companies used to rip off the commercial guys on the price of white springs then smoke them and make a ton of money selling them on the eastern US market. The majority of white springs we see are fall run Harrison fish.

Try telling that to my cat...
Caught same day, cooked the same way, same oven at the same time.

Attachments

• 20150526_082912.jpg
    20150526_082912.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 20150526_083247.jpg
    20150526_083247.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,106
Try telling that to my cat...
Caught same day, cooked the same way, same oven at the same time.

Lol, cats are so finicky, we are on our 15th brand of cat food for one of them, the other cat will eat anything. White vs red is a preference, like braid vs steel on the DR.

That's a smart cat :)

I'm not a huge fan of the whites either.. Definitely a different taste and different texture, even smoking it is a different animal.

The difference in taste is related to the river of origin, not the colour of the flesh. Compare a Barkley sockeye to an Adams River fish and they taste different due to their genetic makeup. I prefer Adams fish way more, likely due to their genetic makeup that allows them to travel 100's of miles up a river system without eating before they eventually spawn. Barkley fish travel 25 miles at most. In the same vein of thought, Harrison fish don't travel very far, they are like Barkley sockeye in this regard. An upper Columbia River chinook travels a long way and I really like how they taste. There used to be a lot of research done on chinook by DFO which I used to follow when I made my living commercial fishing. Research was pretty clear that a white spring was not some form of inferior chinook. There can be several different types of chinook salmon with different combinations of run-timing (spring/ summer or summer/fall) and early life history (immediate ocean entry, 90-day entry or entry after one year) in even small coastal rivers. Once in the ocean the young fish spend several weeks to months in the estuary or near the shore. Generally, spring/summer migrating stream-type chinook range further into the ocean than do the early migrating ocean-type fish, which have a more coastal distribution. The fry in headwater populations or in colder northern rivers spend a year in freshwater after emergence. All these factors influence taste.

Here is a link to an "example" of one of the documents.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas/Csas/status/1999/D6-11e.pdf

PS I don't particularly like the taste of my local river springs at either of the Qualicums and usually smoke them. I know they are still fun to catch too:)

Good afternoon all!

First time poster, long time lurker!

My in-laws have a cabin in the Qualicum Beach area and I finally managed to get myself a little 12' aluminum with a kicker on it so I can get out on the water. Since this is just a little boat I don't think I'll be putting a downrigger on it anytime soon so I'm wondering if any of you have any tips or insight on whether jigging for salmon is realistic in the Qualicum/French Creek area?

Thanks for any tips you guys might have. I know a rigger is the way to go in the future but it's not going to happen this summer so I'd love to just get out and do some jigging for salmon or halibut if I can track down a halibut rod.

Cheers!

Believe can launch a small boat right at the Little Q. Get out into 30-50 feet water. Drift, anchor, tie off to one of the private buoys there. If they ask you to move, just move. Regular rod with mcdeep or similar jig. Starting late Aug the springs usually hang around the Little Q. Always see a small boat or two jigging and often see them into fish…

Halibut.. not sure about regular in that area! But if you venture out to 100-150' deep and use your sounder to find gravel bottom; can tie into some lings. May want heavier jigs to rattle bottom..

Keep your rod bent

PB

Back