2014 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

First trip with the new to me boat

First ukee trip on our own went well. More fog than we expected, but I guess that breaks us in a little for our Sooke trip in Aug. Thanks to Slickwater for the report, white and black/white houchies worked well. Fished salmon at food islets and Crow Island (great name) for good coho action in shallow. Florence produced our chinooks unfortunately long beach is where the larger springs came in from. Had a fun day with Luke on board, Limited on ling around the red can, and Hali further out. Nice to keep a large Hali after releasing one oversize last year. This Hali measured 4cm under, and went 65lbs a personal record keeper for me!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 604
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 623
First ukee trip on our own went well. More fog than we expected, but I guess that breaks us in a little for our Sooke trip in Aug. Thanks to Slickwater for the report, white and black/white houchies worked well. Fished salmon at food islets and Crow Island (great name) for good coho action in shallow. Florence produced our chinooks unfortunately long beach is where the larger springs came in from. Had a fun day with Luke on board, Limited on ling around the red can, and Hali further out. Nice to keep a large Hali after releasing one oversize last year. This Hali measured 4cm under, and went 65lbs a personal record keeper for me!!

Great trip. Looks like you spent a day targeting bottom fish and P Cod, where's the Salmon pics?

Nice fish there Crow !!!!! You beat Pete on Hali !!!! LoL ! Looks like you guys had a great trip ! Can't wait for round 2 myself !! Your coolers were full I'm sure ! Cheers Slick !

Great trip. Looks like you spent a day targeting bottom fish and P Cod, where's the Salmon pics?
I cant help but wonder why you want to see pictures of my salmon when you have not asked others. Since you asked Big Green Machine, I did not take any.

Way to break in the new boat Crow. Say hi to the fam.
Still looking for the PCod in that pic hahahaha

gonna guess the ease of social media and texting is keepin most at bay , lock jaw lol ,

fishin is just not good enough in most popular, well known areas right now , to support hundreds of boats,
all hammering one or 2 areas cause of a public report , hundreds if not thousands read the Uki and Bam reports here daily,
based on the messages im getting , its slow for most , but are finding areas holding a few fish in the Sound , keepin er on the low ,
i dont blame them !!
today was much better inshore , on the South East side of the Sound !!

i will say , i know the top rods in the Bam area are doin very well , ive seen the pics !!
so they are out there , just a matter of putting some effort and time in MOVING AROUND !!!
20 mins , nothing ! move !!

my guess is big bank or Swiftsure is where most consistant catches are comin from ,
Souththbank to South east 7-10 mile was dead last week , as well as Tofino area from the guys i talked to

Patience , it will get better , much better , very soon !

i know this doesnt help much , but.......
doesnt help that alot of good guys that use ta post reports here alot ,
are no longer posting , again ,i dont blame them !!!

gd lk

fd
m2b

Cuz of something like this??

Kinda happened to me yesterday, ha ha!! :)

Attachments

• 10403655_10154376211375076_6024869810582186540_n.jpg
    10403655_10154376211375076_6024869810582186540_n.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 961
For what it's worth. Had to cancel my trip because of medical issues. My friend just came back last week and said fishing was tough but, if you worked at it, you'll find them. SouthBank and BigBank were dead, Corner also. Went up north to Florencia and it was a war zone. He went a little north and got into some nice kings. Told me the biggest was about 35lbs and a few in the mid twenties. Also did pretty well in front of the lighthouse when the water was too rough. Came back with limits for all in the family trip. Was using my setup that I used last year and did really well at the corner. I trolled a glow white hoochie with a clear mylar skirt with a couple of small red beads inside. Approx. 42in 30lb line leader and didn't matter what color flasher. Trolled around 2.5 to 3kts. Tide change worked the best for me. He told me he got this biggest around tide change also. My friend is pretty straight up so I believe him.

Just came back from 4 days in Ukee - 2 days of grinding it out and 2 days of some pretty intense action. Inside was definitely pretty tough. But that's where the big ones came to play. Getting a fish on about every 45 mins inside. Average sizes were about 12-15lb on the inside. Our largest was over 20, but not quite 25. A few Coho swimming around on the inside. We got some good action just OUTSIDE Florencia bay (inside was a gong show with everyone jigging the kelp beds). Saw 2 tyee come out of the kelp beds though. We also got a couple of screamers right out front of Ukee harbour. Didn't see the fish but felt large. Big Bank (rat's nose) was insane. All little 6-8lbers but the sheer number of them was unreal. That's if you could get past the Coho (~8lb on average). Had Coho come and take the hoochies on the surface as we were clipping to rigger. Tough to even get riggers down to a decent depth. Coho were extremely aggressive, hammering rigger clips, hitting buzzbombs as soon as they hit water. Fun, but kind of annoying after about 15 hookups - lol.

We were working hoochies (seemed any hoochie with white, brown, black as main colour was hooking up). Usually about 30" from flasher (any flasher). Also had good success with anchovies, no flasher. Long beach bank was kind to us on Friday as well. Turtle head was ok too. Yes, the fishing is pretty slow (for wcvi) on the inside, but if you put in the time you should get your daily limits.

Any new news? How's the fog? Rat's is out for my boat. Shoreline rules are changing Aug 1st. I may spend a couple hours in the ditch trying for sockeyes. Wave to the guy in a 17' whaler with a merc and honda kicker. Be there Sat pm to Wed am.

Hey all! Just got back a couple days ago from a month of fishing outa Ukee. Was a blast! Although, my face is very red, nose won't stop peeling and my lips are still cracked & bleeding but, the scabs on my ears are getting smaller now.
We fished every day ...everywhere.
Y'all know what I fished on one side religiously,(mostly with chovy) with various "as-like" combo's on the other. I did well with hoochies, plugs and spoons but I did most damage with bait. It was the go-to while testing "as-like" lures on either side.
The low down:
For the duration of the expedition it was Florencia Isle.
* EVERYONE was going to Flo in the morning. Ya didn't want to go there but, there was fish there. Lots. And there were huge clouds of squid they were feeding on. Springs from 12-ish lbs to 25 lbs all day with a few over 30 lbs hauled over the rail. Few Hali's too.
Unfortunately, the troll tack is small at Flo. 3 or 4 boats, if they all know the tack. In the morning there would be up to 30 boats jockying for "the spot".
One of the veteran guides decided to jig the fresh squid then jig for salmon. Excellent idea! ...for him. He knocked the **** outa them in front of everyone. So ...now we have dozens of boats trying to position their boats to drift in to "the spot" and jig. And right out of a "Saturday Night Live" skit, the brawls began. Brilliant display off idiocy.
I stayed the hell out of the melee and dragged bottom out in 60' to 70'. Naked Chovy both sides at about 1.8 to 2 mph. I tubbed out with 18 lb to 25 lb springs every time in just a couple hours (caught a 12 lb Coho on Coho belly flap too). Then I'd bolt and go testing somewhere else. Testing different combo's and testing different areas that weren't getting fished because everyone and their grandma was at Flo.
Long Beach: Always a good place to grab your hali's. Slow troll using belly flaps, squid, herring, needlefish hoochies and UV white hoochies to grab our hali's. Also caught several Jack Springs and Coho on the bottom and with the gear suspended.
Little Beach: Hot then not. Put your time in and you'll pick up your fish ...most of the time. One day we lost 2 very big fish and boated a 28 lber. A 42 was pulled over the rail right beside us.
Wya Point: Ditto to above except the 42 lber. Did see a 38 lber caught there tho.
Inside Light: Picked one hali at 15 lbs and many Jack Springs with a handful of Coho. Same same each time.
Outside South: Ditto less the hali.
Turtle Head: Ditto to above.
Mara Rock & Great Bear: A lot of waiting for the fish. Not a lot of feed either. Traditionally I've found, these are first light and evening spots to fish and I don't feel I was able to give these spots a good, honest rub while I was there.
Harbour: Yup, right in the frickin harbour ...basically. Just off the green can. Just put your time in and you'll tub out with some really nice fish ...and about a 1/3 the pressure Flo was getting. I pulled several 18 lb to 26 lb Springs from there and a good amount of 10 lb to 14 lb Coho. There were a handful of over 30 lbers dragged over the rail too.

* I spent a day shooting an episode for Coop's Nice Fish at Flo. We'll prob be able to see the Gong Show going off in the background.

Keep Your Rod Tip Up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting such a thorough report. Sounds like the unusual year continues. Are squid like locusts and have a big year every so often? Only under 77cm inside surf line toward Wya etc.. and one big one in harbour mouth or Great Bear starting tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that Flo Bay gong show was ridiculous. Lots of fish elsewhere without all the negative aggression.

Back