2014 Tuna Adventures

No - probably won't have anything fresh in our area until July and not until Aug for it to be good enough for the commercial guys to go after it. I haven't seen any albies caught down south of me yet. The water looks like its warm enough off of Central CA but I've heard of no albies down there yet.

67 for me. Still going to try for a June tuna if the stars do that thing. Yup. Time to drag out the tuna tote and start prepping which will start with cutting everything apart assessing leaders replacing leaders and choosing the right menue for the early season tuna spread.

I'll call it 66 just for ****'s sake lol :D

Trying to beat you for first albacore caught is pretty hard. I'm in the area and will give it a shot :).

If Anyone is trying for Tuna at all in first two weeks of July ??? Im at Salmon Beach for 2 weeks then . Aiming to give it a go if currents & weather are right !. Think I might Fill the tote with salt Ice & bag it & put in freezer for those calm days that one can shoot out !!! Have been loading up on gear/gaffs/rod/reels/!!! Rod holders I got off of Ebay & are awsem !! Have company July 5 weekend. But may team up or meat on water with someone before or after July 5 weekend if it works. On Stanby ! The Beat goes On With Or With Out Ya !!!
Slick

Last edited by a moderator:
dogbreath & birdsnest are right. Monitoring chlorophyl & temp are mandatory also all aspects of the weather. Catching tuna is easy once you understand the game BUT It's a big ocean out there. Safety FIRST.
Some asked for pics. How about a video of one of many 2013 Aug & Sept trips. go to www.westviewmarina.com - media- video- the 2nd one You will love it!!
Fish On John

La Perouse 57f

A long wide swath of warm water pushing up from the south.

There here !

(maybe)

Looking at BD website now.

Hey Monkey, Im not getting the same info as you. Can you post a link? The la perouse if find is a poor gauge of what is going on for water temp imo. It should be a good source but I find that it often is showing temperatures that are very different from what is happening off shore where the tuna may be. The buoy is not very far off shore 7-10 miles I think and the tuna grounds are 30-50. I think there is often a "seam" where the blue/pelagic water changes to the coastal water and It seems to be 20 to 40 miles. This inshore waters have been pretty warm this spring there is no doubt about that. Fingers crossed for an early start while checking the SST's every few days.

Ahhh. I see now. But I do feel that la perouse buoy water temp is meaningless for tuna fishing off our coast. just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
La Perouse

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46206

Washington SST

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/washngtn.cf.gif

Total different sst flow than last several springs just going by that sst for west coast.

I had terrafin last year but I found it hit and miss for detail.

Terrafin can be annoying when you're clouded in for days or weeks but those cloud-free SST shots have a very high degree of inaccuracy. If I was a betting man, I'd say the Tuna could be in as close as 41 / 130 by now. still some waiting to do but its looking promising. With the right weather, we could see Tuna in the canyons within a month.

Well Bird

The sst charts from Noaa and the Bouy are in sync. ( temps are good with ~2 degree variance due diurnal heating(

I agree that does not mean there are fish.

The SST is up thats why record temps in Tough City, Plus Jet stream high pressure.

Im a weather geek and a tuna freak.

I charter so it costs me 2 G per for my one or two trips per year.

The water is right now . That dont mean the pelagiacs are there.

I love that your the first out and one of the leaders in this sport fishery.

Monkey

I'll be ready for some Juna!!! :p

Starting to watch terrafin and looking down South of us trying to see where that big ball of warm water in Northern California is headed.

Taking all my tuna tackle up to da Beach this weekend and going through it all in the evenings. Re-tying everything and tying up stuff I want to try. Trying to have it all ready to go for when that shot at them presents itself.

I haven't been out fishing lately because of boat refit time. The boat is in tip top shape and ready to go:):cool:.

Someone saw a blue shark ( I assume) off tofino today. Indicators...

Maybe I someone should try for a may tuna.

I posted this tidbit on the Renfrew thread (where I was talking mostly about Swiftsure bank) but I thought I'd re-post it here. I spent part of Thurs at U.S. Blue Dot. We picked up two small hali out there. The surface water temp was a little over 60F and the water was very clear. I haven't seen water temps that high this early in the season ever so perhaps we'll see those albies a bit early this year. I didn't see any tuna, thrasher sharks, whales or mola mola but the water temps were right.

I fished off shore on friday and saw very clear water and a multitude of seemingly unusual jelly fish. The water off shore(30+miles) has some catching up do to temp wise I Think. It is the warmest I have seen the water here so early as well. Its fantastic. I believe the warm water reduces the possibility of the strong afternoon NW winds. ITs been very nice here, go fish out there wherever you want, whenever you want. And that salmon are chompin too!

Charterboat out of Westport, Wa did a recon trip yesterday............looked around for about 6 hrs. temps were 59-60 but not Tuna present yet so have some patience boys. :)

Back