2014 Tuna Adventures

Well the first 5mins was them catching a few tuna during the derby. The rest is/was salmon fishing. Anyone know is that all the attention the derby is getting from these guys?

So when is the first TUNA adventure Planned ?????? If water temp's are right ! How early guy's get action last year ??
Serviced my kicker today & pooring cannon balls tomorrow. Just passing time till it's TUNA time !!!!
Slickwater

So when is the first TUNA adventure Planned ?????? If water temp's are right ! How early guy's get action last year ??
Serviced my kicker today & pooring cannon balls tomorrow. Just passing time till it's TUNA time !!!!
Slickwater

Its lonely out there in the early season but for the last 2 years I have got-em in the first week of july. Larges too, just not huge numbers but well worth the trip for 6 to 16 above 20lbs. That first take of the year is really awesome. My first bite this year was a quintuple header!!!

The first one of the year 2012.

Here is the deck trama after landing the first 5 of 2013 in July.

Tuna

Right ON !!!! Im up first two weeks of July at our cabin at Salmon Beach . Hopefully warm currants are close . Will have TUNA gear aboard every trip to BIG BANK just in case one can run out for TUNA !! Have extra rod holders on order for my boat & took first two weeks of Aug & First week of Sept for back up Just in case !!!

Looks like you had some fun from look's of deck of boat !! LoL !! Ive seen those day's too & had lot's of fun !
Slick

30 to 50 miles out. Last year was pretty far...50 miles.

30 to 50 miles out. Last year was pretty far...50 miles.

Which direction do you guy's go ??? Barkley Canyon ?? Are you planning to head out simiular time this July ??? Hear it's lonley out there !! May be game for July shoot out for a warm up !!
Did anyone enjoy or watch the old tuna clip ??? Thought it was intresting .

Most of the time we head North to the Louden or the Clayquot Canyons. That's where the Tuff crew's are fishing. It's the shortest run from Salmon Beach.

Cool old clip. Thanks for sharing.

I watched the clip. It was good but I haven't seen any schools that big and voracious around here. Most of those were yellowfin tuna I believe. As to which direction - W to SW depending on which canyon you plan to hit. Barkley is a common location as is Louden. Some of the guys fish Nitinat or Juan de Fuca canyon but both of those are on the American side of the line. The albi fishing in July is hit or miss early and generally gets better later in the month and keeps getting better all the way through to about Nov. Oct/Nov can be very good but the weather windows are shorter and less frequent so for most guys it's mostly a Aug/Sept show.

Thank's for info !!! Will do more research !! Just cooked up some tuna . Marinated in spicy szechuan 1" steaks for 3 hr. Pan fried with little rice oil . Unreal !!!! Will have this one again !!
Slick

Good Day People…My wife and I have been coming to the west coast for some 10 years now for about 2 weeks every year for vacation, Bring our own boat, normally go out of Prince Rupert. we haven’t been doing too bad with catching our limits of salmon and halibut, we enjoy it immensely… lately I have seen some posts, forums and some video on U Tube on the tuna fishing….looks like a riot! We booked a trip at the beginning of September 2014 at a Lodge on the North West Coast of Vancouver Island for a couple days of tuna fishing and a couple for halibut and salmon, I can’t wait. Will share the trip when we get back. Hope some day to go out with our own boat…looks to me like it is a good idea to “Buddy Boat” for that distance.

I have been enjoying everyone's posts on Tuna as well,, it looks like a heck of a fishery.. This fishery is one of the main reasons I am planning on a bigger boat in the next couple years, something on the 26" range. I am not what one would call a seasoned ocean goer by any means so for myself I would only consider a buddy system before heading out. I plan on booking a charter or two in the next couple years just to se if for sure it is my bag,, I honestly can't see how it wouldn't be,, I mean it's fishing..

Anyways just wanted to thank all you guys for your posts and looking forward to seeing and reading about your adventures this coming season..

Good luck to all and stay safe boys..

I have been enjoying everyone's posts on Tuna as well,, it looks like a heck of a fishery.. This fishery is one of the main reasons I am planning on a bigger boat in the next couple years, something on the 26" range. I am not what one would call a seasoned ocean goer by any means so for myself I would only consider a buddy system before heading out. I plan on booking a charter or two in the next couple years just to se if for sure it is my bag,, I honestly can't see how it wouldn't be,, I mean it's fishing..

Anyways just wanted to thank all you guys for your posts and looking forward to seeing and reading about your adventures this coming season..

Good luck to all and stay safe boys..

I was thinking like you & did a charter as well to see what the Tuna fishery was all about having never done it. Was worth every penny & tip for the experiance & the art of fishing many lines.
It made my whole year. One of my funnest times ever !!!! Do your research on who you charter !!! Some charters better then others. I want to catch fish when I charter !!!! I went to Oregon coast & fished on Tackle Buster. Was Unreal!
At time I did not know they were chartering on V-Island for Tuna. Slowly getting set up to fish 8 or 10 lines on my boat & gathering tuna lures . Can't wait for first trip.
I may even do the charter again it was so much fun !!
Good Luck
Slickwater

No Tuna Talk lately ????? I just picked up another Penn Conflict 8000 Reel & 3440 yards of clear 60 lb line 12 feather lures to blend with my other 20 diving lures. Bought 3 extra 7' rods 1 peice . Just need few more reels & 6-8 rod holders which I've got my eye on . Will mount to my rails. Im Guessing $1500 to set up boat for Tuna with gear I allready have . Will be set up for trolling & Jigging When Slickwater Hits the high seas .
What is the average cost to upgrade gear for tuna with the rest of the boy's fishing this new adventure ?????
6 Tuna feathers with lead heads for $36. on ebay . Not bad . I paid $10. each in store.

You need a couple gaffs too-gaffs have a way of slipping overboard-all that blood.

I agree ! Have one that is 3' & new one that is 18" for a on deck fish handler. I do not like the angles mine have !! Will be buying at least 2 or 3 more . One at least 6' or more. may half to rig it up myself to reach out & get the job done on the odd stubborn fish ! I believe in two or more of everything !!! Including Beer !!!
Slick

Just bought a 34 footer specifically for Tuna but now want something smaller and faster top speed is only 14 knots. Excited to go fish for tuna. Reading all of the tuna posts is not helping the addiction.

I agree ! Have one that is 3' & new one that is 18" for a on deck fish handler. I do not like the angles mine have !! Will be buying at least 2 or 3 more . One at least 6' or more. may half to rig it up myself to reach out & get the job done on the odd stubborn fish ! I believe in two or more of everything !!! Including Beer !!!
Slick

I picked up two floating telescopic gaffs from HC last year that work great. They are 4' to 8' roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back