2014 Tuna Adventures

Added this addition to the "what if" thing. Something to think about for sure. Doesn't add that much weight to the boat.

Anyways, I got it for my boat and for anyone else that is close to me out there that needs a "jump".

I'm not on facecrack so call me on the VHF eh? lol!!!

Just bought a 34 footer specifically for Tuna but now want something smaller and faster top speed is only 14 knots. Excited to go fish for tuna. Reading all of the tuna posts is not helping the addiction.

Have only done one day but it was epic!! I have never had such a fun day nor had arms that sore when we brought in 22-24.

I just just laughed when we left Tofino around 4:30.... Admittedly I napped on the way out and woke up to sun thanks to Tofinoguy. No word of a lie.....we were just getting set up to put the lines out in the "middle of nowhere" some 50 miles out and I looked overboard and saw tuna swimming by. ~4000 feet of water....50ish miles offshore and we slowed down right in them! 2nd line deployed and first already hooked up....as I grabbed the rod I laughed thinking "this **** is easy!!" Hahaha.

Admittedly I napped on the way out and woke up to sun thanks to Tofinoguy.

Were you wearing pink PJ's while napping?

And you give me a hard time..........

Anyway, just trying to add some safety stuff to the thread is all. Not like safety is an issue out there.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you wearing pink PJ's while napping?

And you give me a hard time..........

At least I napped while en route! What colour were your jammys whilst snoozing on solid ground??? (BTW....I had let it go.....Hahahaha)

Pink is the new black or camo! Don't fight the temptation!

At least I napped while en route! What colour were your jammys whilst snoozing on solid ground???

Pink is the new black or camo! Don't fight the temptation!

When I went with Shawn for my first time, I watched for log's and other things while heading out of Tofino harbour. I watched for log's and other things for the first 15 miles or so. I was wide awake the whole way out. I helped get stuff ready on the way out and helped deploy gear etc.

Tuna fishing isn't "nap" time fella :rolleyes:. Get with the program.

This isn't wonderland Alice!!!

When I went with Shawn for my first time, I watched for log's and other things while heading out of Tofino harbour. I watched for log's and other things for the first 15 miles or so. I was wide awake the whole way out. I helped get stuff ready on the way out and helped deploy gear etc.

Tuna fishing isn't "nap" time fella :rolleyes:. Get with the program.

This isn't wonderland Alice!!!

Hahahaha....it WAS wonderland once we got out there!

I trusted my Captain ( as any good third mate should).....plus Ken (damnfish) and I stayed up too late due to excitement! Sean was with us....so Shawn had eyes....I was just there as the pretty face who was boondoggled by the size of the Hoochies we were dragging! :eek: I hate plastic! :p

greenhorn.jpg

Anyway..........

Back to the safety stuff. That Rescue pack could come in handy for myself and anyone else within radio range that needs help.

I know DAK had the sat phone out there and that was pretty cool to talk to him via email when I was on land. I don't know if anyone else has sat phone's out there?

I'm just letting folks know what I have on my vessel for this year's season. I have all kinds of spare parts from electrical, plumbing, etc. on board.

Some folks that have been on my boat ask why do I have so much extra **** on board? I ask why not? **** happens and you have to be prepared. Like some of the first threads......get your **** together and have it wrapped tight :cool:.

Pippen and I joke around, but in all reality this is serious stuff folks.

Hang on....I worked hard on this one....

greenhorn_zpsc4b1bda2.jpg

LOL...jk we were all there...

But yes...safety...SAT phones are becoming more available to the average person with rental packages, short term service ect. It is definitely a HUGE bonus to have shore contact out there. A sound investment.
That booster pack you have is pretty handy. Is it built for marine, it looks to have few corrosive parts...

Anyway..........

I was wondering why I couldn't find Wi-Fi out there???

Guys.....I am with you 200%. I can't imagine running out there without EVERY base covered. I was in awe when out there but was very aware that we were a LONG way from home.

Hell.....I have a ditch kit for fishing off Kyuquot read to roll. Whilst running the boat I have a top end VHF on my chest.....kit is within arms reach at all times. "But I took swimming lessons" is the funniest thing I have heard for a greenhorn. "Ya.....dude I went to University on a swimming scholarship at U of M, but the pool was MUCH warmer AND calmer than out here". :p

Good laugh's is what it is all about really. As long as we do it safely is all I'm trying to get across. Trying......

That unit is as it say's on the cover FB. RESCUE. It seems to be all rubber and plastic. Can't see it corroding any time soon.

FB......thanks for the new Avatar. ;)

FunHog will take a break........I am now the pink greenhorn. :p

I give up :rolleyes:. Have a safe tuna season folks. Please read previous threads and post's about safety.

Hope to see you out there.

Cheers,
Sculpin

I give up :rolleyes:. Have a safe tuna season folks. Please read previous threads and post's about safety.

Hope to see you out there.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Johnny!

Sorry about the hijack......if even that. I chatted about tuna and reminisced about my tuna trip.!!!

I follow these threads to the T........I love fighting a big spring but tuna fishing is where I found a new love in fishing.

Growing up in MB......fishing pickerel, pike, speckel trout, lake trout...and splake in northern Ontario......I couldn't care less for those fish anymore. I fell in love with salmon/hali/bottom dweller fish pretty quick. I love having a big spring on the line that get's to the point it's kinda......pissing you off as you've been standing there with a net for 15 minutes saying "GET YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THE REEL!!!!".

But tuna fishing is such a huge deal......as a prairie boy having left them 19 years ago.....I could not imagine the crazy fun I had 50 miles offshore.

This IS a tuna "adventure" thread right? Or did I miss something? :p

Anyway..........

Back to the safety stuff. That Rescue pack could come in handy for myself and anyone else within radio range that needs help.

I know DAK had the sat phone out there and that was pretty cool to talk to him via email when I was on land. I don't know if anyone else has sat phone's out there?

I'm just letting folks know what I have on my vessel for this year's season. I have all kinds of spare parts from electrical, plumbing, etc. on board.

Some folks that have been on my boat ask why do I have so much extra **** on board? I ask why not? **** happens and you have to be prepared. Like some of the first threads......get your **** together and have it wrapped tight :cool:.

Well, i for one am glad to see guys taking safety on the tuna grounds seriously. I've said before that my greatest fear is a disaster way out there due to carelessness and overconfidence which will put a black mark on our emerging fishery. That's a great idea getting that power pack for your boat, buddy.

I'll remember to not try and get you on "Facecrack" if i need your help, lol.

Speaking of tuna.....are commercial guys fishing for them now? My supply is empty and with my Dad in town from MB next week I was thinking of what to cook. Saw albacore at the market the other day and was wondering if it truly was "fresh"?

Back