2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

Copied Scouse and ran the gauntlet tonight of 3' all the way to sangster. Wish I hadn't. Very few showing and very lumpy and no hits. 6:30-8pm Propably some ho's upin top 30' just haven't targeted them yet this year. seemed to be targets on the sounder now and then. Talked to a few back at the dock. Word was fairly good ho' fishing on spoons at 60' right out front of marina.

Coho's are saving the day. Not sure where the springs went. Had one Ho nail my cop car right on the surface as I was clipping the line on my release. All the way down to 200'. Not much in the way of bait in the stomachs, but lots of krill. Put 4 in the bag this morning and 3 Thurs day. Great for tourists.

Right on, I'm a be a tourist there in a week. See ya at Sangster.

Out last night in front of F.C for less than 2 hours. Non stop action on the rods during the tide change. Up high; 40'-50' Kitchen sink hot spot 4" . Took home one ho and released one undersize 60cm spring on a army truck at 180'.

Out off F.Creek today doing the magical misery tour from noon 'til about 7pm.

Ended up with a 7lb and 11lb Chinook (white) and a 4lb. Coho......Geez, I'm starting to sound like a broken record......same catch every time out........

"Jack Smith" hoochy with an added pink stripe worked........also Green/White/Pink stripe hoochy....and Green Splatterback needlefish hoochy.

Caught a lot of small undersize stuff.......and dinker Coho......

River's Inlet it ain't..........

The cold beer when I got home was excellent........

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: my last post:- This is a Jack Smith hoochy with an added pink stripe......it got a lot of interest yesterday...even though the fish that were hitting it weren't exactly Titans....

The only permanent marker I have found that comes out as this hue of pink is made by STAPLES and the cap on the pen is DARK purple. When you put it on, it goes on Purple.....but next day you wash the Purple off and what will be left is this bright Pink.

Sharpie pink,orange and red markers will not turn out this way on vinyl. (They tend to change color) The STAPLES brand is the absolute best for marking hoochies and turning out this pink color.

002.jpg

Just read on the Fishtactics site that NastyBoy spoons are working pretty good off F.C. yesterday also Green Splatterback hooch and that some nice fish came from Lasqueti yesterday as well.

Just what I read..........

Green splatterback regular hoochy wasn't working for me yesterday.......needlefish version was though.....

Fished French Creek last night with lots of fish marking and lots of hits at 150' on green splatterback spoon. One coho landed, thinking the hits were small fish?
Heard good reviews from those fishing Sangster, and with it being this calm on the water, you could almost walk over there!
Would like to know if anyone has had success fishing sockeye on the east side of Texada when they are running/open?

Fished French Creek last night with lots of fish marking and lots of hits at 150' on green splatterback spoon. One coho landed, thinking the hits were small fish?
Heard good reviews from those fishing Sangster, and with it being this calm on the water, you could almost walk over there!
Would like to know if anyone has had success fishing sockeye on the east side of Texada when they are running/open?

Seined them there years ago. Quite a few funnel through Sabine. Worth a try, especially around Aug 15-30 if its open.

Update from other thread. Sabine not open yet for sockeyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what the story is off F.C. lately........

According to the local paper and also French Creek store:----it is "epic" with fish in the 30's and 40's, tons of Coho and lots of bigger Chinook.

None of the people I know are catching anything like this.......

Maybe the ZipperLip Club is doing well.....

Flora Islets is a ways from F.C.......I know they get fish there.

Just talked to a buddy today who bonked 4 over 20 and limits of Ho out in front Wednesday. The 30's are coming in from Sangster and Youngs Point as well as out front. Orcas moved through lately as well. Marked some nice Bait balls today. Managed a couple of nice cohoes on the low today. They are getting bigger......

Ramp is paved and is in excellent shape. A really low tide can be nasty. Also some weekends line ups to get out can be long and entertaining.

Back