2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

Grace UnderFire:---

ramp is paved....and....it's theoretically 4 lanes.....

but:-

Both outside lanes have no extension on them.....so better suited for tinnies and smaller boats.....no dock to tie up to.

Inner dock extension is good......but one side of it has the pilings on the outside of the dock, which can possibly create issues with scratching/damage etc.

So everybody with a bigger fibreglass boat prefers the north side of the dock if they can get it.(no pilings and its easy to back down to).

Somedays the Lasqueti freight barge is there (weekday)...and they will take up one entire side of ramp.

And you have the Lasqueti ferry coming in and out at certain times...although that's not a big issue really.......

Out off F.C. today with wifey looking for the elusive 32lb'er from 1:30pm until about 7:30pm......

Didn't find the 32 but did get a few fish.......

Old school T-Rex Needlefish hoochy behind a Green/glow/Prism flasher and also a Green Haze flasher did all the damage....also Green splatterback needlefish hoochy but not as good as the T-rex.

Lots of Pinks around it seems....and one of the Chinooks was pretty dark with a hook nose....a spawner for sure (but it's only August 4th!!!!)......

Tried different depths and places....but anywhere from 130ft to the bottom in 200ft of water seemed to produce best.

043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Out off F.C. today with wifey looking for the elusive 32lb'er from 1:30pm until about 7:30pm......

Didn't find the 32 but did get a few fish.......

Old school T-Rex Needlefish hoochy behind a Green/glow/Prism flasher and also a Green Haze flasher did all the damage....also Green splatterback needlefish hoochy but not as good as the T-rex.

Lots of Pinks around it seems....and one of the Chinooks was pretty dark with a hook nose....a spawner for sure (but it's only August 4th!!!!)......

Tried different depths and places....but anywhere from 130ft to the bottom in 200ft of water seemed to produce best.

View attachment 13383

Nice job! Just wondering if you bleed out your fish after bonking them?

Fishtofino........

that one was the first fish we caught oddly enough.....nowhere near a river (except maybe French Creek itself)......straight out front of FC in 200ft of water, lure down right near bottom....about 2:15 pm....

BGM.......wife likes to keep the guts and stuff for the garden.....so no surgery onboard......although I know it would be better if they were bled out/gutted.

They go in a big cooler that is packed with freezer packs........

Nothing in the Chinook's stomachs at all....

Coho had very very tiny miniscule yellowy crabby/shrimp-type larvae in them....

I'll try that next time out.......

The spoon in this pic got a pretty solid hefty hit.....but fish spit the hook.....

It's made by Brian Francis (Magic Lure) in port Alberni........FC store sells B.Francis spoons

The other two hoochies are what I was using.......001.jpg

Was out on Sat and Monday morning. Crashed out through the NW swell and chop both mornings to fish bottom end of Sangster. Got 3 springs 9-14 lbs and 3 coho 5-6 lbs. My go to hootchie has been a small squirt that has a rainbow trout type colouration. It has out fished everything else, including the splatterbacks and usual assortment of spoons. Depth has generally been 120-130'. Feed is quite small so I'm trying to match the hatch :).

On the down side I lost one rod and reel (my favourite) on Sat and broke another on Monday. In all my years of fishing, I've never lost a rod and never had one break, very strange. I lost the rod after a fish hit. I picked the rod out of the holder and hit the auto on the rigger. The rod felt a little loose in my hand and I think i bumped it on the rigger and then gone.....aaaarrrrggghhhh :). The rod that broke was strange as well. Had the rigger set at 130 in 200' of water when something tripped the release. My buddy was reeling but it was nothing but dead weight, real heavy. I started thinking i needed to bring the other rigger in then I hear "****" and then turn around, the rod is broken in half.....aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh :) He continues to slowly reel in then nothing. Bring the line up everything is intact, no bent hook, nothing.

PNT can hardly wait for my next visit, which will be soon.

i feel your pain i lost a nice setup couple years ago due to a hali knocking it over almost cried lol, also do you have the code for those hooch's ?

Hey Mike........that's terrible about the rods.......ouch!!

Got a pic of that little bait hoochy?.....been to PNT in times gone by to get one and they never seem to have them......

Good fishing at French creek today.
Limited out on springs and 1 ho.
Was deep for them spoons worked.
Was out for 3 hours. 3-6.

Stopped by FC tonite. Saw a couple of guys coming in with a couple springs and a lingcod :) Need to get out there an give it a shot one of these nights. Never fished out of FC. Is the morning or nite bite better ?

I find the slack tides no matter what time of day are good....just after the low slack when it starts to flood is good.....

If you get a high or low slack that happens to co-incide with a time frame of inbetween 6pm to dusk that can be pretty good too...

Some guys often seem to do quite well when it's getting pretty late and late dusk.

These two plugs are reported to be hot hot off F.C. right now....these are 5inch tubby's....heard same in 6 inch was good too...

green:- RVP2 118ii

pearl........CRVP2 341ii

get at PNT Parksville....

fish them on the bottom.......003.jpg

My "Nog's" arrived yesterday...can't wait to try those off French Creek.....

and...not shilling for PNT...but....the other day the T-Rex needlefish was working good for me......turns out Silver Horde makes a T-Rex spoon (which I didn't know about but Rob showed then to me so I bought a couple from him)........that is the spoon in this pic.......looks good......glows like crazy......(I changed the hooks out though)........want to give that one a bath too.........004.jpg

I find the slack tides no matter what time of day are good....just after the low slack when it starts to flood is good.....

If you get a high or low slack that happens to co-incide with a time frame of inbetween 6pm to dusk that can be pretty good too...

Some guys often seem to do quite well when it's getting pretty late and late dusk.

These two plugs are reported to be hot hot off F.C. right now....these are 5inch tubby's....heard same in 6 inch was good too...

green:- RVP2 118ii

pearl........CRVP2 341ii

get at PNT Parksville....

fish them on the bottom.......View attachment 13440

So...I guess we met at the cleaning table thurs pm?

Back