Parking and launch to access Hornby Island

jcon12

Hi all,

We are heading to Hornby this coming weekend for 7 days. I have a slip on the island and will be trailering my 17' boat from Vancouver.

My plan is to skip the ferry from the Island to denman/hornby and just launch my boat around deep bay or French creek.

Any recommendations on where to launch and park my truck/trailer on the island? I read deep bay is a very shallow launch and limited parking. I then also read that french creek is extremely busy and expensive to parking for 7 days.

We arrive Saturday around 11am.

Any info is appreciated!

Deep bay should be fine for your 17’. Parking is up the road wherever you can find space, wasn't a big deal last time I was there mid summer for a few nights. French creek is great but as you said expensive for 7 days.

Deep bay should be fine for your 17’. Parking is up the road wherever you can find space, wasn't a big deal last time I was there mid summer for a few nights. French creek is great but as you said expensive for 7 days.
thanks tannerc.

I just realized i'll have to make it work at fairly low tides when launching and returning. Would deep bay still work at a 2-4' low tide..

2 ft ..? maybe. 4 ft-- if you are careful. And DONT cut left tight after you launch. Go straight to the boats along the wharf, and then follow along until you get to the end finger. There is only a very narrow dredged slot at low tide.

They are currently doing road widening along that whole road, so parking might be affected.

For me it would depend on weather. Probably a bit more sheltered from Deep Bay. From French creek it’s very open.

It took me about 30-40 min with my Campion 185 flat calm seas. From French creek to Tribune Bay. Quicker then driving to Deep Bay and boating over.

Union Bay is a decent, sheltered launch for a small boat for only $5. It's shallow at low tide, though. I don't think there is a parking fee but for boat launch questions, contact Rick Weaver at 778-427-3119

Is there any reason I shouldn’t take my boat to
Hornby and use the boat launch on the island?

thanks for all the responses

Cost & availabilty of room on the ferries. Complicates things a lot. I trailed to cortes once, just made the trip harder.

The Hornby Ferry is small. Count on one or two sailing wait to get off the island. Especially on weekends.
As well there is a big MTB race there this Saturday that may add to the ferry.

The Hornby Ferry is small. Count on one or two sailing wait to get off the island. Especially on weekends.
As well there is a big MTB race there this Saturday that may add to the ferry.
More sailing waits nowadays, since Transport Can. reduced the ferry's carrying capacity. Summertime, especially on weekends, you used to count on several ferry waits,, either direction. With the reduced loads, I've heard 5 or 6 ferry waits are expected in summer.
Read this:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-immediate-upgrade-on-hornby-island-1.6395575

Big bike race? Oh! I had to go check my cabin during a summer bike fest; just a day trip. I waited 6 hours to get off Hornby.
Head's up; I hope you have accommodations reserved on Hornby before you go.
If you don't catch any fish, there used to be a great fish 'n chips truck at Ford Cove. It might still be there. The store at the cove also served great pizza.

Have you considered trailering to secret cove, launching at bucaneer and heading from there. Pretty nice boat ride if the weather co-operates and the ferry price is much cheaper. (Only pay one direction)

Back