2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Done...did I say done!

After 3 months of grief with my insurance company, my boat is finally repowered and ready to go, what a nitemare this has been.
Thanks to Lucky Strikes and Git Er Done for two awesome trips to Bamfield but nothing like being behind the helm of your own boat.

She's dirty and needs some work to get er back into the game but I don't care as I am going fishing this weekend in my local waters, time to give her a good clean later.

see you on the water boys...tight lines.

Getbent

May give er a go this weekend...got some custom traps made that im dying to sink...

I noticed the commi's fishing deep a couple months ago..had a friend who still got a couple dozen spots for his efforts in 200' ish well after the commi opening...I think there will be enough catch for the Q...

Commie?
I really dont understand this red neck name for commercial fishermen?
if they are commie's do they give to the state store and share catch or are the opposite and work hard , and make money for thier own family bank accounts?
GEEEEZ!!!

Commie?
I really dont understand this red neck name for commercial fishermen?
if they are commie's do they give to the state store and share catch or are the opposite and work hard , and make money for thier own family bank accounts?
GEEEEZ!!!

Not meant as an insult, just a coincidence that the terms are similar but have separate meanings. Kind of like "there, their and they're". or "wear, ware, and where" similar sounding words...different meaning...

No different than calling a sport fisherman a "sporty"

so forgive me most pious Capt Hook for abbreviating 'commercial fisherman', make that, 'commercial fisherperson'...next time I will be sure to write the long form for JUST your sake...LOL

unbunch your panties fella!

-FB-

no problem FB ,
i,m from a 100yr. historic commercial fishing family and kinda get tired of the constant slagging on here of guys who are just trying to make a living at a honest job.
i,m retired now and still love fishing of all kinds.
I,,m here to help anyone that needs help or advice , on fishing or boats, weather etc.
Fishing has sucked so far this season , but lets go get these chinooks while they are here ,
tight lines everyone.

was out this afternoon, EPIC day. Bite was on for both coho's in the morning and nookies in the afternoon. I got a 25 but details tomorrow. Tight lines.

P.S. they are FINALLY HERE!!!!

was out this afternoon, EPIC day. Bite was on for both coho's in the morning and nookies in the afternoon. I got a 25 but details tomorrow. Tight lines.

P.S. they are FINALLY HERE!!!!

Great, but wasnt it blowing out there today ??

I didnt go out because in Richmond it was really blowing the tree tops , so I didnt go ???

Clint
PS; Going outside to kick the crap out of the dog (just a second I dont have a dog, damn it .......)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, but wasnt it blowing out there today ??

I didnt go out because in Richmond it was really blowing the tree tops , so I didnt go ???

Clint
PS; Going outside to kick the crap out of the dog (just a second I dont have a dog, damn it .......)

Just kidding , I would never kick the dog , the mailman yes but never the dog LOL

Went out for the evening fish tonight with the old man. Great time! Landed a 28# white spring and a 16# red. Had another screamer on that straightened out my #2 gammie treble! What size and make hooks do you guys use? Two fish were caught at 70' and one that got off at 55' using bait. Didn't see anyone else catch any although we were fishing a little ways away from the other boats. Nice way to spend the evening.

Those gammies should be good man, that is what i run and they are tough and sharp...

Where were you fishing? Running out the South arm on Sat, sounds like they are here....

Getbent

I've had some gammie trebles straighten on me too and remember some others on here talking about that as well. I use Owner hooks now, kind of expensive but not loosing a fish is worth it to me. Heard of some other guys talking about some of the Mustads being prettty tough too. I like my owners, sticky sharp as well.

317ae046.jpg

Fish was caught around the red bell. Cheers

It was windy yesterday, a little lumpy too but manageable. All the guide boates had fish on board and had also lost some good screamers. One friend caught a 35#. I landed a 25# red, but it was part of a TRIPLE header with just 2 of us on the boat and lump swells :) fun for sure. The bite was all over from 2pm-? we left around 5:15 and high slack was 6:11?? If it got better at tide change..wow. Great average size and good density. Most fish beig caught 50-65.

Nice fish, really like the picture. With the sun, cigar, and 'gotchya' grin, not to mention the city in the background...the shot really sums up that day on the water. Thanks for posting...

317ae046.jpg

Fish was caught around the red bell. Cheers

Congrats! I remember fishing with a guy that had a cigar in his mouth while plying a huge spring on the Fraser. He pulled up on the rod close to his body and the line touched his cigar,it was all over. :eek:

Might head out there again this saturday. How is the t-10 area for springs?

Stones93, were you out around the red bell?

T-10 can be great for springs...the whole are can hold fish depending on tides and currents...
I will be out Saturday in the area as well

Getbent

Might head out there again this saturday. How is the t-10 area for springs?

Stones93, were you out around the red bell?

Did not make it to T10. Was too windy and lumpy. I wouldn't have moved anyways as we saw lots of fish caught and lots on the sounder. My hit was very close to the mile marker.

fishing at T10

We had a great day out on the water. It was so calm and sunny, and despite not catching any fish we had a very fun day. We fished at the red bell buoy for a few hours and saw three fish come in to other boats. There were about 15 boats fishing within a close proximity to the bell buoy and I was so surprised to see two massive cabin cruisers with displacement hulls burn through the group at 20 knots leaving their four foot wakes to bowl over the people in the boat behind them. Why do that?

Later in the afternoon we headed over to tthe T10 buoy located between the north and south arms of the Fraser and fished into the evening. There were about eight boats fishing there and although we couldn't make it happen on our boat, another boat brought in two on anchovies.

Why does it seem that fishing around Vancouver is so difficult?

Not as many runs cruising by like the coast, and they get fussy the later into the season we go is my guess. Presentation has to be bang on around here. Its funny coho off WCVI attack anything and everything and here certain not so much.

Back