2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Hey Blackmax,

Taking a kid fishing is a part of what it is all about for me, I just make sure they are prepared with one of the options to prevent them from getting sick. WDon't get me wrong, I as well have a lot invested and my time is important on the water but showing others the wealth that we have at our doorstep is pretty cool.
Nothing like getting a kid into their first or biggest fish, alot of times they are easier to teach than an adult when it comes to playing and landing a fish.

I suppose I could take out the neighbour and his son, spend $100 on fuel for boat $40.00 for truck fuel and $50.00 for launch and tackle. Then for giggles watch the kid lose the only fish we hook, but I choose not to. Last time I did this there just wasn't any warm and fuzzy feeling.

Warm and fuzzy feeling comes when Dad reimburses your expenses and the rest of the evenings tab is on him

I flat out say no to kids coming, buy your own boat and take the kid fishing. I got too much invested and too few times I can get out for that crap.

"Daddy, I want to go fishing you with!"
"No problem!! First, I need you to get a job so you can chip in on fuel."
"But Daaaad, I'm only 10!"
"Too bad, this is the real world. Gas ain't cheap. And neither is my time, so you better not waste EITHER!. Speaking of which, go buy some rods and tackle, and learn to tie some knots. 'Cuz it's pretty obvious I don't have the time or gear to teach you. Now leave me alone...I'm going fishing, by my crusty old self..."

I hear ya BM
Kids eh....waste of time they are!! Not like they grow into adults that will likely support or crush the sport we love...

Booooo!

I agree as well, I go hardcore and then it is just the boys that can handle the game. Spent two stints of 10 days in bamfield and there is no wa my 11 year old is ready yet for that. I have had my daughters out since they have been small and now one of them I would put toe to toe with anybody when it comes to it, at 20 she is a monster on the rod. Pretty proud poppa when I see her jump on it, set and let it run.

I do understand that there isnt always room for kids when the game is on but an afternoon or morning at the cap, no problem....

Getbent

"Daddy, I want to go fishing you with!"
"No problem!! First, I need you to get a job so you can chip in on fuel."
"But Daaaad, I'm only 10!"
"Too bad, this is the real world. Gas ain't cheap. And neither is my time, so you better not waste EITHER!. Speaking of which, go buy some rods and tackle, and learn to tie some knots. 'Cuz it's pretty obvious I don't have the time or gear to teach you. Now leave me alone...I'm going fishing, by my crusty old self..."

I hear ya BM
Kids eh....waste of time they are!! Not like they grow into adults that will likely support or crush the sport we love...

Booooo!

LOL , wasn't ever talking about MY kids. I was talking about neighbours and friends that want to bring their 7 year olds across to Thrasher etc., I tell them straight up "file that under not going to happen". And I am getting crustier every season. :mad:

Hey Blackmax,

Taking a kid fishing is a part of what it is all about for me, I just make sure they are prepared with one of the options to prevent them from getting sick. Don't get me wrong, I as well have a lot invested and my time is important on the water but showing others the wealth that we have at our doorstep is pretty cool.
Nothing like getting a kid into their first or biggest fish, alot of times they are easier to teach than an adult when it comes to playing and landing a fish.

I suppose I could take out the neighbour and his son, spend $100 on fuel for boat $40.00 for truck fuel and $50.00 for launch and tackle. Then for giggles watch the kid lose the only fish we hook, but I choose not to. Last time I did this there just wasn't any warm and fuzzy feeling.

Funny but oh so true.:) Thanks for taking the heat on this one BM (you crusty old *******). LOL

I think it really comes down to whether the kid is ready or not and that's something the guardian needs to know or find out on their own. Take them out on a lake or something and see how long they're good for.

i had one guy ask me if i would take him out a while back and he wanted to bring along 3 or 4 of his kids and there all like under 10. "They can play games on their IPODS if they get bored" he tells me. Ya that'll work, i could have had 3 sick kids on board and at that point, yup I would have gone in, dropped them everybody including dad off on the dock with a quarter to phone a ride.

It's a whole lot different being stuck in a boat bored or being down at the river and being able to flip over stones to see what's underneath while grandpa keeps casting for some. I think i need to put in an age restriction for friend's kids of like 15 or 16 and pack some gravol or whatever that stuff is.

when i'm going fishing, I'm going fishing. It's not childcare. Guessin I'm a little crusty too.

lol I don't know many kids, nor have any myself...but should the oppertunity arise where a kid wants to give it a go, I'd hope you would find a suitable day. If the kid can't handle it, well you have good reason to turn down the next request. If someone wanted to bring there kid because the wife said he had to if he wanted to go fishing...id be inclined to say, go to the park. But aside from that, if someone didn't take me fishing I'm not sure I would be doing it, and its become one of the things I love doing most. I pretty much have those people to thank. It's not your job to ferry the nieghborhood though. Crust away :) lol

My father did not have a boat and he took me fishing to the Fraser, Ross Lake, Buntzen lake where we would cast off shore, heck I remember catching big lings at Lighthouse Park off the rocks. Most parents are too busy or flat out lazy to do this type of thing with the kids and look for the easy way out. I treasure all the memories of small trout or even the countless 5lb sucker fish we released. My dad did finally buy a 20ft. Double Eagle and I was 15 so we pretty much just argued after that,sadly he took fishing so seriously it was never the same.

Sure can tell that the fishing is not hot right now eh?
Good stuff though...
Hopefully my boat is repowered and finally ready to go so I can post some reports of my daughter and I whacking and stacking em ;)

here here! on with the reports! i just like to stir the pot anyways :p

curious if anyone has tried prawning around south bowen recently??...was thinking of heading out with a buddy for a try to see if we can drum up some for the bbq...

Finished business, giver a try! South bowen alwase seems to have prawns hangin around, just try a little bit deeper this time of the yr 300+ ft, 350-400 even better

Coho schooling up/chasing bait off Stanley Park on the flood and Seals tearing them up-just like the Old Days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished business, giver a try! South bowen alwase seems to have prawns hangin around, just try a little bit deeper this time of the yr 300+ ft, 350-400 even better

May give er a go this weekend...got some custom traps made that im dying to sink...

I noticed the commi's fishing deep a couple months ago..had a friend who still got a couple dozen spots for his efforts in 200' ish well after the commi opening...I think there will be enough catch for the Q...

Coho schooling up/chasing bait off Stanley Park on the flood and Seals tearinging them up-just like the Old Days!

Hmmm.....when "bad habits" hits the water DogB I mayyy give you a ring...could use some of that 'old days' experience ;) would be great if there was some Ho's around Stanley Park this weekend...I don't want to wander to far off me traps..

Time to net some bait and pop a 1/0 through their schnib and dumb em down 15 pulls with 1.5 banana sounds like

Met a guy today who fished beside me yesterday and picked up 3 Springs over 21lbs, I'm heading out for the evening bite , maybe one more out there for me.

Back