2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Honestly I never even tried those functions out, was too excited about not having to grab on and correct the boat to even
think about using them, plus there was way to many boats in the area we were fishing to try a cloverleaf pattern or an orbit,
but I'm not sure why the hds would have anything to do with the special functions as they come from the TR-1 brain and not the HDS???
weird unless there your using the hds to navigate to a waypoint at the same time I guess it could effect it then

What appears to happen is that when the HDS thinks it has reached a waypoint it stops sending NMEA 0183 information and on the TR1 handset the GPS Track light starts blinking which indicates that receipt of GPS information has ceased and the manouvre ceases to continue. Yes - it is the TR1 brain that commands the actual pattern steering but it needs continuing GPS information from the HDS of a waypoint to do so. When you have the opportunity, try an Orbit and let me know.

What appears to happen is that when the HDS thinks it has reached a waypoint it stops sending NMEA 0183 information and on the TR1 handset the GPS Track light starts blinking which indicates that receipt of GPS information has ceased and the manouvre ceases to continue. Yes - it is the TR1 brain that commands the actual pattern steering but it needs continuing GPS information from the HDS of a waypoint to do so. When you have the opportunity, try an Orbit and let me know.
ok will do

My buddy was the one who used the plug behind the flasher. I told him he's crazy. Then he caught a fish. Made me look pretty stupid. I've usually fished them with no flasher.

I'll shorten my leaders up a bit. I've been using Tomic and Coyote spoons in multiple patterns. Mostly the 3"-3.5" size. And a Silver Hoarde double glow, white spoon ( was told it's one of the hot colors ). Trying to stay in the bottom 25% of the water column at all times. Maybe I just need to put in more time. Going out on Friday, so I'll try shorter leaders with the spoons.

Would the rainy, stormy weather had an effect on the fishing? I come from fishing stillwater exclusively, and some of my best days were during some terrible weather. I figured salmon fishing might be the same.

It might just be me but I find freshwater fishing is great in the rain but on the saltchuck , I never have luck in the rain so I usually stay off the saltchuck on a rainy day.
But that's just me , maybe others will chim in on this .

You need lots of fog for the best fishing. ;)

Honestly I never even tried those functions out, was too excited about not having to grab on and correct the boat to even
think about using them, plus there was way to many boats in the area we were fishing to try a cloverleaf pattern or an orbit,
but I'm not sure why the hds would have anything to do with the special functions as they come from the TR-1 brain and not the HDS???
weird unless there your using the hds to navigate to a waypoint at the same time I guess it could effect it then

I have a friend with one of these and he just ploughs through the other boats cutting them off etc. regardless of right of way. It broke down a couple of years ago thank god. lol :eek:

I hope we get some reports soon as well.

hopefully my boat is up and running soon with a new mill in it...this has been rough, knowing that I would be posting reports
:)

How is the fishing and where should someone go now at this time of year......Thanks Guys

Fished at Gabriola for the evening yesterday. Caught a few undersized and one barely legal. Hits were on Spoons and hoochies 67-140 ft.

Hayday Crabbing off Jericho

Wont be seeing traps like this until next season...now that the commi's have a crack at it...

may 2012

Attachments

• P4250085.jpg
    P4250085.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 172
Was over at Thrasher, Grande etc from Tues pm until late this afternoon. Thrasher produced 3 for me to just under 14lb Tues but was too rough properly to fish most of Weds. Took 4 to 14lbs Weds from Grande to Waterfall and off around Flat Tops. This morning seas glassy and several boats along with mine out off Thrasher first thing but nothing doing. Some more boats off and around Thrasher for high slack but did not stay long so I guess the same. I took 1 about 10lb north of Waterfall in the am but in the afternoon had a purple patch off Flat Tops with seven takes in just under 2 hours boating 4 to just over 14lbs. All fish took 3.5" spoons. Weather forecast had me scuttling back across the Strait as the fog seemed to close-in around 4pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
we where out wed eve around gower point down to camp byng but tug and log boom where pulling through
so went back to gower point lots of sticks and run off in the water with nothing doing done the last couple of hours at salmon rock and picked up a 16lber first troll in on green /glow hootchie 60 ft down
fish showing 60-80' on the sounder
where staying on 88A so keep ears open

Ill be out tomorrow afternoon on BREWSKI (yest a ski boat outfitted for fishing:) Going to stay local and maybe target some ho's. Maybe some fish too..lol. Anyone have a preference for west van shoreling mid flood tide?

I like suicide bend. Just East of the fisheries. I will be at Thrasher tomorrow.

dropped a fish this eve on salmon rock
65' on Irish creme glow spoon
seamed to be a little'un
still got boat issue's so will be staying local

After a good Sunday last weekend at Thrasher (doubleheader in the first 20 minutes with 22lb and 9lb springs followed by a quick 17 lb ling), tomorrow will be a quick West Van coho run ... Will report back if it goes well. Will likely start west of the fisheries.

Thrasher Friday nite

Dropped lines about 7:45pm NE of lite around structure. Green splaterback and coko killer glowgreen
Nothing doing for about an hour. Change up hootchie to 3.5" cookies and cream. Hit chinook 15 mins later at 100'. Boxed 13 lber. Circled back but that was it for evening. No other boats out. ????

Out again Saturday.

Cheers
Eastpoint

We went to Thrasher yesterday. We boxed a scrappy 15lb white at 8:30 in 650ft at 101 on the rigger on a cookies and cream. My nephew's first spring and biggest fish of his life. That made the trip over worthwhile right there. We moved closer in for the flood and of all things picked up a small halibut and another decent scrappy spring i lost a few feet away from the boat. We were bouncing bottom in 150' of water when the halibut took an irish cream. I couldn't believe it when i saw it. The other spring was on the cookies and cream right after we reset the lines at 2:30. It wasn't real busy for us and some pretty good downpours but after a month and a half off the water all in all it was great getting back out.:)

We went to Thrasher yesterday. We boxed a scrappy 15lb white at 8:30 in 650ft at 101 on the rigger on a cookies and cream. My nephew's first spring and biggest fish of his life. That made the trip over worthwhile right there. We moved closer in for the flood and of all things picked up a small halibut and another decent scrappy spring i lost a few feet away from the boat. We were bouncing bottom in 150' of water when the halibut took an irish cream. I couldn't believe it when i saw it. The other spring was on the cookies and cream right after we reset the lines at 2:30. It wasn't real busy for us and some pretty good downpours but after a month and a half off the water all in all it was great getting back out.:)

Sounds like a great day thanks for sharing. :)

Was at Thrasher saturday went 1 for 4 with a 16 lb marble in the box 140 in 600 ft on a 3 inch kitchen sink spoon
Very soggy day...almost november like....on the way back found ourselves in the middle of a large pod of white sided
Porpoises who were very playful ......zooming around the boat .....riding the bow wave etc
Returned to Thrasher today ...a bit of a late start ....... went 0 for 1

Back