2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Fished thrasher today and landed two 12 pounders and a 19 . Lost 2 good hits one on a spatter back teaser above daisy chain and one on blue spatter back plastic and green spatter back took the ones landed. hits were between 115 and 160. May try howe sound or west van tomorrow as other side is to far.

Got out about 6pm did a couple of passes in West Van and trolled over towards Bell Buoy till high tide 8:30.
No action saw a couple of other boats out and no nets seen.....nice evening though .....the better half joined me and we enjoyed a nice picnic dinner .

Fished thrasher today and landed two 12 pounders and a 19 . Lost 2 good hits one on a spatter back teaser above daisy chain and one on blue spatter back plastic and green spatter back took the ones landed. hits were between 115 and 160. May try howe sound or west van tomorrow as other side is to far.

Nice work dmurph! You did way better than I have my past few trips.

Where did you find all the action; were you in close to the reefs or out in deep water? Also what do you mean by daisy chain? Multiple flashers?

we have been out a few times this juneuary ,
on tuesday we tried , red can , lighthouse , and westvan shore ,
had all the killer worms hanging out there......for nada.
i was born and raised here and never have seen soooooo dead.
will wait a couple weeks before wasting fuel or go around Bowen to Hut island and better colour water.
a few ratty little coho in the cap , but think they are taking a direct route under the Frazer brown and down deep or running along the beach ....dont want to catch those mutants anyways.
hopefully things change with the next few set of tides.

We came out of Van harbour last weekend , saw a boat with a name that kinda rang my bell "TONGA" looks like they were coming out of mosquito creek marina.
My fishing partner , says "is'nt that the shitheads who are robbing all the traps?"
We were in a hurry to make a appoinment but we looked back with glasses and they were very busy around Siwash rock to Tea house pulling traps.....
We got a close up of faces with zoom as we passed , but not sure how to post pics here yet?

By the sounds of it maybe I did book a good time to head to Saskatchewan to fish walleye with the BRO for two weeks. Hey , if u haven't eaten walkeye you haven't lived, trust me its better than Hali !!!
Good luck to all of ya and I expect to see some major changes in the Salmon catches reported when I get back ... GO GETEM BOYS !!!

GL
Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir-vivor, try finding something called "shore lunch". Get the origional version. It is the best coating for pickerel ever! It is like a super-mild version of KFC (very very mild version), it still allows the pickerel flavor to come thru but is awesome. Good luck and try not to rip the lips off the first few when you go to set the hook :)

By the sounds of it maybe I did book a good time to head to Saskatchewan to fish walleye with the BRO for two weeks. Hey , if u haven't eaten walkeye you haven't lived, trust me its better than Hali !!!
Good luck to all of ya and I expect to see some major changes in the Salmon catches reported when I get back ... GO GETEM BOYS !!!

GL
Clint

LOST AT THRASHER ROCK

While fishing in fairly rough conditions at Thrasher Rock on Friday and while endeavouring to net a 12lb-ish Chinook, my rod slipped out of my hand into the sea which I was not able to recover.:mad:

The rod is carbon-kevlar 12’ in length and obviously custom-built by Custom Rodbuilders Inc of Victoria. It is equipped with a black Islander M3 reel, left-hand wind with paddle handles and loaded with Spiderwire braided line.

On the off-chance that it may turn-up, washed up somewhere or entangled with someone's downrigger, I would be very grateful for its return.

LOST AT THRASHER ROCK

While fishing in fairly rough conditions at Thrasher Rock on Friday and while endeavouring to net a 12lb-ish Chinook, my rod slipped out of my hand into the sea which I was not able to recover.:mad:

The rod is carbon-kevlar 12’ in length and obviously custom-built by Custom Rodbuilders Inc of Victoria. It is equipped with a black Islander M3 reel, left-hand wind with paddle handles and loaded with Spiderwire braided line.

On the off-chance that it may turn-up, washed up somewhere or entangled with someone's downrigger, I would be very grateful for its return.

Oh man that is painful, I recently snapped an expensive rod in half and felt sick cause I won't be getting another one. :(

Fished Ambleside for the the morning, only one hit on a spatter back hootchie behind a chartreuse green plaid flasher at 40ft. Had anchovies out on the other rod and tried some spoons as well. Did see one boat net a fish. Crab catch was down for obvious reasons. Speaking with the Creel guy at the launch he pretty much mimicked the board, fish are being caught a thrasher, really slow at ambleside,

And I almost forgot, I did land my very first sea cucumber!

Very best,

Ian

Fished Ambleside for the the morning, only one hit on a spatter back hootchie behind a chartreuse green plaid flasher at 40ft. Had anchovies out on the other rod and tried some spoons as well. Did see one boat net a fish. Crab catch was down for obvious reasons. Speaking with the Creel guy at the launch he pretty much mimicked the board, fish are being caught a thrasher, really slow at ambleside,

And I almost forgot, I did land my very first sea cucumber!

Very best,

Ian

Congrates on the Cucumber Ian !!! :)

Fished thrasher yesterday, we released 1 just undersize on splaterback hootchie, missed 1 on irish creme 3.0 spoon and managed a couple lings for ourselves
fished beside Dave on the predator for a while and seen 3 boated, lots of nets going up around us when the bite did come on
around 12:30ish I think it was.
on another note it was the first trip over with the new garmin TR-1 installed man what a pleasure to fish with now, I plotted a route along a contour line on my HDS10 hit start and gps track on the TR-1 and probably never touched the wheel for a half hour then turned around and fished it in reverse order,
man was that cool and seemed to keep up when the wind picked up a little too
usually I'm all over the steering in the wind, probably the best thing I've added since buying the boat, almost handsfree fishing lol
Oh and Ian I got a cucumber too:D maybe we need a cucumber reports thread
Tim

Fished thrasher yesterday, we released 1 just undersize on splaterback hootchie, missed 1 on irish creme 3.0 spoon and managed a couple lings for ourselves
fished beside Dave on the predator for a while and seen 3 boated, lots of nets going up around us when the bite did come on
on another note it was the first trip over with the new garmin TR-1 installed man what a pleasure to fish with now, I plotted a route along a contour line on my HDS10 hit start and gps track on the TR-1 and probably never touched the wheel for a half hour then turned around and fished it in reverse order,
usually I'm all over the steering in the wind, probably the best thing I've added since buying the boat, almost handsfree fishing lol
Tim

Thanks for posting the report, confirms no fish in Howe Sound or elsewhere local.

Tim

Gidyup
My trip to Thrasher on Sunday was almost a carbon copy of yours.
One shaker on a splatterback hoochie and a popoff on an Irish creme spoon.
My usual companions were busy so I ended up running over alone and spent a few hours...mostly offshore.
I guess I was offshore by when the bite was happening.
Very liitle chatter on 88a
That TR-1 sounds interesting

Just a FYI, all the top guide boats are no longer on the radio. They are texting each other back and forth. Quite radio doesn't mean quiet fishing! I am told that most of the fish are being caught on smaller spoons. Try a 3 or 3.5 these days. Thrasher on the ebb and grande on the flood.
I am hoping we get a local fishery soon but I think we are a few weeks away with all the rain and snow runoff. Not having a boat of my own is KILLING me. I also hear that there are much lower expectations this year for the sockeye run, hope thats wrong.

Gidyup
My trip to Thrasher on Sunday was almost a carbon copy of yours.
One shaker on a splatterback hoochie and a popoff on an Irish creme spoon.
My usual companions were busy so I ended up running over alone and spent a few hours...mostly offshore.
I guess I was offshore by when the bite was happening.
Very liitle chatter on 88a
That TR-1 sounds interesting

when smaller spoons are working, nothing has beat my TKO's. Something about the action is irrisistable. I hate the stock hooks though, so I cut the welded, add a 40lb split ring, add a small swivel and attach your hook. Hits increased considerably. Go lighter with the hook to counteract the added wieght of the swivel. Carryed this technique over from FD's recommendations for coho killers and it seems to produce better than before. Adding a molded eye seems to help. went 3-0 this weekend with identical lures, except one had eyes....

Garmin TR1- Gold Autopilot

Tim

I've had the TR1-Gold fitted on my kicker for the last 18 months and I find it indispensable. I fish mainly solo and I really could not think of fishing without it. As you say, the GPS track steering function is excellent.

Question for you:- Does your TR1 with HDS10 perform the Special GPS Steering Functions of Orbit Waypoint, 3-Leaf Clover and Search? The reason I ask is that my TR1 hooked-up to a HDS7 does not and it seems to be the GPS messaging from the HDS that is the problem. I have been in touch with Lowrance without any resolution. What happens for me with Orbit Waypoint, for example, is that it starts off satisfactorily enough but when a position is reached on the orbit parallel with the waypoint (or 90 degrees of the required 360 degrees) the message appears on the HDS 'Destination Reached - Stop or Continue' by which time the GPS track with the TR1 has been dropped. This is ridiculous because it is obvious on the screen that the waypoint has not been reached. Through another forum, I know of one other TR1 owner having the same problem hooked to a Garmin GPS but have heard that others with Lowrance HDS apparently are not having this problem, or maybe they have not tested the special steering functions.

Off to Thrasher tomorrow - hopefully I will not lose anything this time.

Buddy got 27 lb off gower point in gibsons and also a couple off north side of Keats . The water is not too dirty there. He was fishin In 150 ft of water. I tried same area and marked lots of fish and bait but was unable to hook up. Only had couple hours tho

I've had the TR1-Gold fitted on my kicker for the last 18 months and I find it indispensable. I fish mainly solo and I really could not think of fishing without it. As you say, the GPS track steering function is excellent.

Question for you:- Does your TR1 with HDS10 perform the Special GPS Steering Functions of Orbit Waypoint, 3-Leaf Clover and Search? The reason I ask is that my TR1 hooked-up to a HDS7 does not and it seems to be the GPS messaging from the HDS that is the problem. I have been in touch with Lowrance without any resolution. What happens for me with Orbit Waypoint, for example, is that it starts off satisfactorily enough but when a position is reached on the orbit parallel with the waypoint (or 90 degrees of the required 360 degrees) the message appears on the HDS 'Destination Reached - Stop or Continue' by which time the GPS track with the TR1 has been dropped. This is ridiculous because it is obvious on the screen that the waypoint has not been reached. Through another forum, I know of one other TR1 owner having the same problem hooked to a Garmin GPS but have heard that others with Lowrance HDS apparently are not having this problem, or maybe they have not tested the special steering functions.

Off to Thrasher tomorrow - hopefully I will not lose anything this time.
Honestly I never even tried those functions out, was too excited about not having to grab on and correct the boat to even
think about using them, plus there was way to many boats in the area we were fishing to try a cloverleaf pattern or an orbit,
but I'm not sure why the hds would have anything to do with the special functions as they come from the TR-1 brain and not the HDS???
weird unless there your using the hds to navigate to a waypoint at the same time I guess it could effect it then

Back