2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

FM, dmurph,gidyup, whats happening around town guy's...looking to get out this weekend...finally, just curious whats going on, been pretty quiet.

Getbent

FM, dmurph,gidyup, whats happening around town guy's...looking to get out this weekend...finally, just curious whats going on, been pretty quiet.

Getbent
Havent been out for a couple weeks, but should be out this weekend,
FM and Murph are probably too busy boxing fish to post.

Back at work, I could post some photos of trees being felled or excavators building jumps, but thats it. No I actually went on a sick trip from Vancouver to Ukee, fishing Renfrew on the way. I am working on a long post I will put up here for entertainment. Epic trip.

sounds great murph can't wait, thats the trip I want to do with the family, not with this boat tho,
hoping to find a 28-30' GW marlin in the not to distant future

Heading out around 3 today, stuck in the office till then.. Going the give the cap/west van shoreline a go!! Will report back!

What is happeninig bell bouy, west van and howe sound??? I fished 4 days last weekend and hit fish on sunday along west van... 2 coho and a 12 lb red spring. The 3 other days were pretty much nil! Marked some fish around Roger Curtis and had 1 pop off there. coho were hit at 20 and 35 feet and the spring at 55 on a peachy 3/12" apex. All had herring in the belly. TR

Fished the cap from 7 to about noon. Got nothing and saw 1 coho taken. Picked up and went to Bowen. Don't know the area at all, so not exactly sure if I fished in a good area, but the gps that came with my boat was loaded with marks there. Fished in 250 to 350 feet of water, off the cliff. Cowan I think is what my gps said. Got a 85 cm chinook. Don't know what it weighed. Maybe 17? jellyfish uv flasher and a cop car spoon @ 161'. Was 1 other boat there.

548415_10151076857661327_401217335_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I finally made it to the coast to fish and I had the best fishing trip of my life. My friend Mac called me Friday and said to be ready in 2 hours, we are leaving Vancouver and heading to Ukee. I had groceries and coolers of ice ready to go before he even hung up the phone. Mac, his fishy friend Jeff and myself were on route for the coast in his 33' blackfin by 5pm. We were cooking steaks in a sick house that Mac set up in East Sooke by 9pm. Pretty sure we went right by Wolf's place if your in East Sooke, looked like your rig. I barely slept that night as I WAS SO STOKED for fishing the west coast . We decided to make a run for swiftsure in the morning as the conditions were like glass. Not going to lie, the swell and fog did have me feeling a little woozy by the time we hit the bank, which was concerning as the boys said it was actually pretty sweet conditions. They had a good cure for the sickness and we were slaying fish in no time. We had fish on before we even had a line down. The ho's were savage off the bank, easy limits of good size hatchery coho and a couple good size springs. Didn't matter what you put down, by the end we were just running big plugs and spoons down deep but the ho's were still all over it. We switched up to to try for hali during the slack and this was exciting for me as I had never caught one . We got lucky, all three of us had one in the boat in short order. Biggest was 30 which is physically bigger then I imagined. Watching Jeff gaff the halis and wrestle them down was entertaining to say the least. Power bait worked for the halibut doing drifts. Pretty easy to fish halibut without the anchor set up. After limiting out on the hali we made a run for Bamfield to fuel up the beast and grab some supplies . We trolled into Bamfield as we had a spot left for a big spring but only released small ones. Cool place to fish , lots of different areas to hit. Pretty sure I saw Osama at the general store in bamfield but you left before I had a chance to say Hello. Turtle Island was the end of the line for day one of fishing. What a sweet place to drop the hook. Morning came quick after eating and then processing fish and Ukee banks were up next. South bank was the first stop and the seas were big, 1 something swell with 5 foot wind chop on top . I felt good day 2 as Renfrew primed me I guess. The fishing was very productive with lots of wild coho and pretty good for springs. Jeff put 2 in the boat around 25 pounds and lost a big heavy brute that spit the hook at us after a long fight. Pretty funny playing fish looking up at them in the swell. All the big springs came on a glo hoochie with a flap on the head. We broke that off and didn't get any more big ones. Small ones were hitting everything I put down, including daisy chain with flasher and bait above it. Pretty much had our limit on day one off inner south bank. My wife and baby Nakai made the drive from the mainland to join us for dinner at a friend of Mac's and Jeff's. It was nice to meet some of the friendly people of Ukee. My wife, boy and I slept on the boat and it was pretty cool seeing the fleet heading out in the morning, got me pretty stoked. The pouring rain on the other hand had us going onto land to grab breakfast and lunch. The Blue Room was the first pace we saw open and I say it was pretty tasty. The locals told us they did good off light house bank the day before so that was our first destination . The wife really wanted to bottom fish. That bank was pretty slow for us but the wife did get her hali using power bait again. We made a couple of location change ups, including south bank again and finished off at a spot called big bear in close ? Must say fishing was much slower, we had to work for them and did't get our limits. Didn't matter, already had an amazing trip . I would have to say swiftsure had the most explosive fishing and south bank was next. Can't wait to visit every one these places again. I am border line thinking of a career change to switch locations from Whistler to the coast lol. White hoochie was overall top producer. The bigger springs came between 130 and 80 feet but we were getting them from 180 to 30 out of ukee and everywhere the first day off swift sure. Fun watching coho attack the gear sitting on the water waiting to be set to the rigger. Can't wait for the next trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished West Van Shoreline 7 - 11 today, quite slow for us, nothing other than a brief fight with what im guessing was a coho that we dropped into first thing this morning, hit at 35' on a cop car spoon behind a purple haze uv flasher.

Hey D murph

Isn't the west coast rugged and wild I've been fishing there for 24 years every summer and cannot get enough !!!!
Sounds like you had the full experience big water,fog and seeing the chinooks ripping through the swells behind the boat.Glad to hear you had a fantastic trip I'm sure you'll be back!!'

Tight lines
Billydoo

I'm going to try these at West Van area sometime this week, well tied.
003-67.jpg

Fished Cap mouth today, started at the crack of 9:30 had a nice hatch coho by 9:40 on a green/white coho killer at 32'
rods were stacked whit hootchie at 57' and coho killer up 25' from there,
we ran a small green/white squirt and chovie on the other side a little deeper but no luck on that,
hung around the area for another hour or so and nothing, heard of some fish up at fisheries so packed up and ran up there, marked tons of bait and fish
but could not entice them for nothing, other boats had some luck tho, left there around 1:00 made the troll all the way back to the cap with no additional luck,
well did have a large stick try to steal my spoon but it lost that battle;) lots of crap in the water,
just as we were heading in we heard of a couple double headers......figures!
wont be back out for 2 weeks now, gonna go hunt some kokanees and big lakers
have at her and have fun boys.
Tim

How big are those blackmax, 4"? I made some up last year simular to that.
they were 3.5" and were killer for coho... green/blue seemed to be the ticket.

How big are those blackmax, 4"? I made some up last year simular to that.
they were 3.5" and were killer for coho... green/blue seemed to be the ticket.

These are 3.5 inch as well, I got them at Nikka's today. I believe they just came in and they look hot, the name on the bag is "Ross".

Back