2012 TUNA trips

I have not calibrated the thermometer but it did read 52F at the Neah Bay Marina and in the straits near Neah which is consistent with both how it felt to me and with the NOAA charts. I too was surprised by how warm the water was in the canyon. It was even 61F on the Prairie. I'll put another thermometer in the water next time I'm out to check.

Thanks for that. Given all your info I doubt that you are far off. I have seen some very warm water down there on the charts in the recent past. Wish I could find that up here.

And those rapX magnum 20's: got em, cant wait to try them!
IMGP1222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya There wasn't much left when I was done. Some 30's and 15's and one or two 20's. Method marine in tofino is ordering in some 20's in the blue sardine and dorado and mackerel. But only a dozen or so. I can post when they show or save some for you. Maybe I should get them to get some of the purple ones.

Ya There wasn't much left when I was done. Some 30's and 15's and one or two 20's. Method marine in tofino is ordering in some 20's in the blue sardine and dorado and mackerel. But only a dozen or so. I can post when they show or save some for you. Maybe I should get them to get some of the purple ones.

I'm heading down to Seattle Marine and the Defiance store this coming weekend so I'll be picking up some down there as well as some Qcove spreader bars and cedar plugs. I'll be ok so don't worry about saving any for me. I was just trying to figure out who bought out WSS lol. If you need anything from down South PM me:cool:.

OMG look at that pilcharch one!!!! Anyone try these out back on a top rod for salmon or on the downrigger?

I was thinking the same thing. I will try it VERY soon.

There will do a big GULP when I pinch the barbs because I like those barbs for tuna.

The purple one in the top of the image above is what I used. I ran 4 identical ones. On Sunday I did run a green 10ft diver on the top for coho on the Canadian side of Swiftsure. I took off one hook and pinched the barb on the other. I picked up two wild coho on it but it wasn't as good as a cut plug or herring rotator.

What do you Guys use for leader with those plugs?

I'm thinking 3' of 80# mono-or do you just use a straight tie to your mainline?

Great question. I was thinking the same thing. I have been trying to find a good knot for 80#braid to 80# mono. I would like to go strait braid though.

Since tuna have big eyes and some claim they can be leader shy, I used 40lb mono. I used about 6-7' and tied a bead swivel on the line end and a coastlock on the end towards the plug. It's basically the same setup I use for Tomic plugs for kings. All 6 that we hooked had the front of the plug sticking well out of their mouth and the leader was never even nicked. That said, I'm not sure I believe the leader shy crap as it seems to me these fish will eat anything when they're hungry.

I m usually using 80# on my reel and rod setups and 200# on my handlines and there never seams to be a definite divide between the two as far as the number of takes. It does seem a bit odd but its what I have noticed. I worry about having canon balls down 10 or 20 feet. The one day we were fishing by buddy asked me if I was getting them only on the far back lines and I said no, I was getting them close and far. He had his down riggers in. I am very wishy washy about the cannon balls and try not to use them. This is the beauty of running the XRaps. I can be fishing deep and if they are the only thing working then I may start using the down riggers.

Finally some clear shots on Terrafin. Water is nice and warm now, just gotta find the blue stuff.

I have been wanting to try the xraps off the downrigger. With a downrigger out 40-50ft and running an x20 back 40-50ft this should get the hook down there. A couple of more x20s straight back of the boat and you have a much more three dimensional lure spread. Might help bring the fish up from deep and still be able to troll 7mph.

I'll be out the this coming Friday. Should be someplace near the end of Juan de Fuca canyon. I may try a couple of X-raps off the down riggers. From the chlorophyll images, it looks like blue water should be around the 3000' contour lines.

Thinking about a trip tomorrow. Temps looks good. Chloro, mmmm... so so.

A short time later:

Got called to work, tuna fishing is off:(

Someone should go!

Uke Aug 14-20 tuna?

Hey all. Thanks for all the great information here!

We are long time tuna dreamers (and board lurkers.) We (me, my son, and my buddy) will be in Uke on our Gulfstream 232 for our annual Salmon pilgrimage Aug 14-20th. If anyone would be willing to let us tag along a trip out to the blue water, we would be eternally grateful and willing to show appreciation in whatever way is appropriate (beer? boat-wash?...) We have appropriate gear (radar etc.) and experience for offshore safety, and have accumulated lures, rods, etc.in hope of making it out to the tuna.

Every year we just find ourselves having too much fun on salmon to break away, but this year we'd really love to go if conditions permit someone would be willing to take us under their wing a bit on our maiden attempt.

Anyone around then, and willing?

Thinking about a trip tomorrow. Temps looks good. Chloro, mmmm... so so.

A short time later:

Got called to work, tuna fishing is off:(

Someone should go!

I feel the pain..................
868.png

Today and tomorrow look like perfect ocean conditions for a long run tuna trip. 2-3' swells at 8-16s period. Unfortunately, I can't get out until Friday when the conditions look a lot worse. Still, I plan to give it a go on Friday and Sat. If it's too nasty, you'll see me on the other side of the line out at Swiftsure.

Back