2012 TUNA trips

you run from Neah Bay or La Push?

Cheers,

Today and tomorrow look like perfect ocean conditions for a long run tuna trip. 2-3' swells at 8-16s period. Unfortunately, I can't get out until Friday when the conditions look a lot worse. Still, I plan to give it a go on Friday and Sat. If it's too nasty, you'll see me on the other side of the line out at Swiftsure.

Anyone been outside of Winter Harbour yet? Pisces Canyon or Banjo? All I got were the leftover Xraps from Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo...But they are all I need! I usually make a couple trips near the end of the month and cannot wait!!

Anyone been outside of Winter Harbour yet? Pisces Canyon or Banjo? All I got were the leftover Xraps from Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo...But they are all I need! I usually make a couple trips near the end of the month and cannot wait!!

I'd like to know as well. There have been quite a few days where the shots on Terrafin looked awesome up there and close in!

Anyone heading down to Bamfield or Ukee this weekend with the intention of a tuna run? I'm heading down to the cabin on saturday afternoon and planning to make a run for the warm stuff at first light Sunday if the weather doesn't get too carried away. Have two boats, would love to work with a few others....

Cheers,

If there is an opening in the weather I will be going out of Tuff.

I will be going out on Saturday or Sunday depending on weather. Going on a friends boat out of Ukee, pretty exciting. I don't have all the details just yet.

Tuna this weekend is doable for some boats but it doesn't look like it will be fun. Swells of 5-6' at 5-7s = washing machine. Plus we'll have winds in the 12-20kt range (highest in the evening/night). I'll take a look at it on Friday AM but I have a feeling I'm going to be fishing salmon in the Strait of Juan de fuca.

Not sure if you have fished the Canyon there? It is the 1000 fathom gulley about 23 miles straight offshore from Topknot point. If you see a good temp break in the 58 to 60 degree range with a solid warm pool outside of it...It should be good. The last 2 years I have fished the Banjo bank 55 miles off of Topknot, but my friends did just as well at Pisces.

Looks like my online order isn't going to make it before the weekend. Anyone have any spare outrigger release clips they would sell. Or know somewhere on the island to buy?

Have you checked the weather forecast?

I doubt you'll be going in 30 kn winds. I sure as heck wouldn't

You are likely right. But I would rather be fishing in Barkley sound with tuna gear at the ready then cursing NOAA and their brutal forecasting..

yeah our plan is to head down saturday afternoon and see what sunday morning brings. would love to have my outriggers ready to fish though incase the weather holds out. a lot can happen between now and sunday.

I have been wanting to try the xraps off the downrigger. With a downrigger out 40-50ft and running an x20 back 40-50ft this should get the hook down there. A couple of more x20s straight back of the boat and you have a much more three dimensional lure spread. Might help bring the fish up from deep and still be able to troll 7mph.

I don't think the lipped plugs work well with a release of any sort and I've tried many times. The release seems to pop on the hit and there isn't enough tension on the lure for long enough to set the hook immediately. The fish quickly spits the unnatural hard body of the plug before you can wind tight. If you want to get deeper, running a 16 or 32 oz cigar shaped lead in front of the plug with a 30 ft leader of 80lb mono between plug and lead seems to work well. Not exactly great for fish fighting but it can help put fish in the box.

I don't think the lipped plugs work well with a release of any sort and I've tried many times. The release seems to pop on the hit and there isn't enough tension on the lure for long enough to set the hook immediately. The fish quickly spits the unnatural hard body of the plug before you can wind tight. If you want to get deeper, running a 16 or 32 oz cigar shaped lead in front of the plug with a 30 ft leader of 80lb mono between plug and lead seems to work well. Not exactly great for fish fighting but it can help put fish in the box.

Interesting because on the day I went 15 for 17 I only had one hit on an out rigger(planner board) scotty clip and it got away. I did not see the hit so I can not prove it but it was not a piece of kelp either. I will be trying to make the scotty clips as stiff as possible but since the clip run off a line to the board it may not be enough no matter what. I can see some big advantages to poles now. Given this, maybe my best bet would be to: a) get the clips as stiff as possible and B) fish stuff right behind the planer board where it will have a more ridged clip position. The problem still remains that once the clip lets go there is all that slack that has to be taken up. If a fish is still on after all that them maybe there will finally be decent hook set.

Hmmmmm.

I wouldn't run the lipped plugs off the outrigger either as there's dropback there. Straight back off a flat line they work fine but even off a flat line clip at the transom I've had no luck getting the hook to set. The flatline clip puts maybe 3 feet of slack in there but it's just too much IMHO. The softer lures work okay from the riggers because they have a more natural feel IMHO.

On any hard plug I like to swap out the back treble hook for a large single hook but leave the front treble. Just as good hookup ratio for me and much easier unhooking.

Windon leaders (50-150 feet of fluorocarbon inside a dacron or superbraid loop) are pretty standard down in FL for targeting tuna. No swivels just run the leader through the lure and tie / crimp on the hook. Great at the boat too because you can wind right down to the fish. Seems like no one up there is trying them?

Downriggering for halibut and for springs over 250 feet deep I have run 2 scotty clips on the same line. Another trick is a heavy ealstic band wrapped over the front (line end) of the clip. Either of these will hold the line tight and only pull loose on a hard hit.

Barkley Canyon is looking really good on the charts right now. Yesterdays sst's and chloro's look sweet. The weather looks decent for a few days too!

I am new to reading these charts and need some input on how to predict the warm water with the currents etc. Anyone have any pointers for looking at the currents and trying to predict where the warm water will be that day or the next? Most of the shots are from the day before unless your up at midnight lol.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I commercial buddy of mine says the water does not move much that far off shore. So if you do not have a chart to read one from 24 hours ago is still pretty good.

If the weather is nice I am on it this weekend too.

Back