2012 Halibut trip thread.

That was us. All the practice of safe anchoring techniques paid off for us yesterday and we are still alive.
Here’s what happened: Anchored about 400 yards east of Zero Rock. Drop the lines straight down. A bit lumpy but everything is a perfect scenario.
After about an hour we see a tug pulling two huge barges in tandem coming around from Victoria heading our general direction.
As he gets closer (1km) away we see that he is heading right for the zero rock light beacon. We look and can’t see anyone at the helm. We honk and try call on the radio with no response. He gets closer and closer and we all get a bad feeling. We thought maybe he was possibly going to pass on the other side of Zero Rock where there were no boats at all, hard for us to judge out in the lumps where he was going.
If we wanted to pull up our anchor we would have had to head straight at him for our retrieval to work and we didn’t want to do that as the tug appeared unmanned and he was heading straight for Zero Rock. We would have been in-between him and the rock.
Right before what appeared to be him crashing aground he turns last second straight at us. His bardge that he was pulling way behind him starts a fast drift in the wind right at us.
We fire the engine, pull the emergency release on our side line and off we go. 45 seconds later the barge runs over our scotchman. It happened very fast! We keep our distance and wait for our scotchman to reappear.... and it didn’t.
He barely clears Zero Rock.
After we collect ourselves and I change my underwear... we go back to our GPS mark to see if we can find our top floating line and mini float in case he broke our scotchman off but it is nowhere to be seen. He is dragging it! We would have been pulled under his barge.
We call the coast guard to let them know what happened and to let them know that there is a madman tug driver driving between Sydney Island and James Island dragging 500ft of rope with a Bruce anchor behind him through the infested commercial crab trap line.
They tracked him and his path and gave us his boat name and filed a report with transport Canada which we have to follow up on this Monday.
To top it off we finally get him on the radio after the coast guard contacts and he laughs at us!
We head home with no Hali’s, no anchor system. I get home and Hug my family.
I never thought it would ever have to emergency release as we fish slow currents and we leave ourselves lots of room.
It can happen to anyone I guess. It does not need to be said but.... be careful out there! Keep your knife close to your hand in case your release knot fails.

Nice meeting you Casper! Hopefully we see you again when we are having a better day.

That is nuts man. I would have hugged my family too. The thing I don't get is "it's a big ocean" so there should have been lot's of room for him to go around you. One of the biggest reasons I like to get out on the water is for peace and quite and to get away from automobile traffic on land.

I was my buddies boat today East of Constance and we sat through 15 plus dogs before we got a nice one that taped out at 52 inches. Nice fish! The weight chart says 68 lbs but I'm not so sure....It was thick though. Any fish in the straights is a good fish in my book...

IMG_3867.jpg

Me on the right and I make the fish look a little bigger 'cause I'm only 4'2"....Just kidding....5'7"....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on a boat today East of Constance and we sat through 15 plus dogs before we got a nice one that taped out at 52 inches. Nice fish! The weight chart says 68 lbs but I'm not so sure....It was thick though. Any fish in the straights is a good fish in my book...

That's a dandy killerbee. Congrat's.

who want weigh in and hold money. also biggest salmons this year. should divide into categories of species and go 10 a head for each category is there any we all can trust for this task. was thinking someone a none fisher man and someone we can agree one.

Got out with Bag Juan on friday. First Hali's of the year and first Hali's ever landed in my boat.

I got the chicken and the old master brought in the other. We didn't take any measurements and as I have not caught hali's before I am not going to guess on their weight.

I must have not paid enough attention at the seminar when they were talking about where to harpoon. I caught the fish just on the outside of the gill plate. It was enough to hold it but I hit something hard and it didn't go all the way through. So we had to use the gaffe and while the fish was getting clubbed on the side of the boat it freaked out, got off the gaff, took off, ripped the harpoon out when it hit the end of the line and went back down to the bottom. If you want more fight out of your hali's try the method described above it works!

Attachments

• P1010404.jpg
    P1010404.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 272
  • P1010406hali.jpg
    P1010406hali.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 274
  • P1010405.jpg
    P1010405.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 287
Thank's Scott, to bad I soiled myself lifting it! Thanks again for the trip Jockey, good way to start the year for sure!

Nice fish guys! What do you think about the tides tomorrow out of pedder bay? I'm probably going to launch out of there and try for a hali.

Will be going out of pedder as well. Good tide change not too fast. Ive heard the dogs can be quite bad in that area. I`ll bring lots of bait and see how it goes!

Got out with Bag Juan on friday. First Hali's of the year and first Hali's ever landed in my boat.

I got the chicken and the old master brought in the other. We didn't take any measurements and as I have not caught hali's before I am not going to guess on their weight.

I must have not paid enough attention at the seminar when they were talking about where to harpoon. I caught the fish just on the outside of the gill plate. It was enough to hold it but I hit something hard and it didn't go all the way through. So we had to use the gaffe and while the fish was getting clubbed on the side of the boat it freaked out, got off the gaff, took off, ripped the harpoon out when it hit the end of t
he line and went back down to the bottom. If you want more fight out of your hali's try the method described above it works!

Beauties!

Lorne

I was my buddies boat today East of Constance and we sat through 15 plus dogs before we got a nice one that taped out at 52 inches. Nice fish! The weight chart says 68 lbs but I'm not so sure....It was thick though. Any fish in the straights is a good fish in my book...

Me on the right and I make the fish look a little bigger 'cause I'm only 4'2"....Just kidding....5'7"....

Great trip Guys!
Gotta love the adrenalin rush when those things fire back to the bottom!

Hi all, I cannot seem to find any of he old threads on anchoring for halibut on the south island. I've tried searching and all I can find are link to threads that no longer exist.

If anyone has an old thread bookmarked or can direct me in the right direction it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nerka

Up in the RH top corner of the page there is a 'Advanced Search ' button, click on that ,fill in with 'anchoring' in the section that asks for Keywords. Then hit search and you will find 5 pages and weeks of reading !
Your Welcome ;)

Up in the RH top corner of the page there is a 'Advanced Search ' button, click on that ,fill in with 'anchoring' in the section that asks for Keywords. Then hit search and you will find 5 pages and weeks of reading !
Your Welcome ;)

It's alive!! Might drop by on the way back from Pedder... Want to meet the little shizer

Just trying to help out...LoL :) , A little too rough to fish here today for my condition :(

This weekends looking good for tides/currents - lets hope the insane wind we've being having in Victoria this week mellows out and allows us a chance out there!

I went out this morning to try for a halibut. A little choppy 1-3' waves not to bad. Wind was about 5 knots or so. Got to a spot that I wanted to try and the wind & waves dropped right off. Dropped the gear down and the current was > 1 knot. Everything was going pretty good till I felt the wind shift. Looked off to the west and the horizon just went dark grey and the wind and waves picked up. Decided to call it a day. Got all the gear back on board, (thanks for all the tips with rigging, didn't lose a thing) when things went from lumpy to down right nasty. Waves went about to 5-6' about 3 secs apart with a few bigger ones thrown in for fun. The wife was driving and keeping on station pretty good too I might add, when she says I think it's best we head in soon. I couldn't agree more. She seemed a little surprised that I was so accomodating in agreeing to leave so quickly. I was thinking hmm... this might get a little bad if a guy stayed around too long. It was time to get the hell out of here. Had a few break over the bow and halfway up the windshield when we came out of the lee side of the point. Sure was grateful that I decided to buy the bigger boat with the hardtop. Thought the wife would get a little excited but she was a real good about it. Which suprised the living bejebus out of me. Thought for sure I would be deaf in the left ear by the time I got back. Was extra special when we started approaching Sooke Harbour and got closer to the Spit. Damn waves were big and moving fast. Felt like we on a friggin surf board!! Ahhh fun times. Just lined up the markers and adjusted speed to ride a big wave all the way in. Well maybe not the first big wave. Put on to much gas and went down the foward face of it and stared up at the back of the one in front of that. Eased off on the throttle when the really big wave came in from behind. Decided it might be a plan to stay on top of this one, nicer view. Didn't enjoy the last one that much. Came around the Spit and it was like shutting a door. Slight swell with a little ripple and no wind to speak of. Crazy times. Can't wait to do it again tomorrow. Well, maybe if it's not so windy. Didn't get a fish but it was nice to be out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, got nasty for a bit out there.
Had to move to more sheltered spot and paid off with 20, 20, 40.
Later part of the day was nice out there. Even got some sun.

Tips

Back