2012 Halibut trip thread.

Forgot to add....... If anyone finds a full anchor system between Sydney and Vancouver A call would be really really appreciated. Our hali season just took a serious hit
Our name is on it and we will show our appreciation.

Forgot to add....... If anyone finds a full anchor system between Sydney and Vancouver A call would be really really appreciated. Our hali season just took a serious hit

What happened? Did you cut loose and chase a fish, to have the tide pull it undeR? If that is the case, it will probably be right where you left it.. Anchors do not go far, they go under, but usually come up darn close to where you left them..

Wow. At least not all tug boat captains are like that one. I was out prawning the other day and had a tug captain hail me on the radio as he wanted to take shelter in a bay that I was prawning in front of. I asked if he wanted both strings pulled and he replied that he thought one would be enough room. I watched him manoever his boom to within 50' of my second string. After he was in I moved both strings out of his way. This captain was very courteous and professional. Very nice to see.

That was us. All the practice of safe anchoring techniques paid off for us yesterday and we are still alive.
Here’s what happened: Anchored about 400 yards east of Zero Rock. Drop the lines straight down. A bit lumpy but everything is a perfect scenario.
After about an hour we see a tug pulling two huge barges in tandem coming around from Victoria heading our general direction.
As he gets closer (1km) away we see that he is heading right for the zero rock light beacon. We look and can’t see anyone at the helm. We honk and try call on the radio with no response. He gets closer and closer and we all get a bad feeling. We thought maybe he was possibly going to pass on the other side of Zero Rock where there were no boats at all, hard for us to judge out in the lumps where he was going.
If we wanted to pull up our anchor we would have had to head straight at him for our retrieval to work and we didn’t want to do that as the tug appeared unmanned and he was heading straight for Zero Rock. We would have been in-between him and the rock.
Right before what appeared to be him crashing aground he turns last second straight at us. His bardge that he was pulling way behind him starts a fast drift in the wind right at us.
We fire the engine, pull the emergency release on our side line and off we go. 45 seconds later the barge runs over our scotchman. It happened very fast! We keep our distance and wait for our scotchman to reappear.... and it didn’t.
He barely clears Zero Rock.
After we collect ourselves and I change my underwear... we go back to our GPS mark to see if we can find our top floating line and mini float in case he broke our scotchman off but it is nowhere to be seen. He is dragging it! We would have been pulled under his barge.
We call the coast guard to let them know what happened and to let them know that there is a madman tug driver driving between Sydney Island and James Island dragging 500ft of rope with a Bruce anchor behind him through the infested commercial crab trap line.
They tracked him and his path and gave us his boat name and filed a report with transport Canada which we have to follow up on this Monday.
To top it off we finally get him on the radio after the coast guard contacts and he laughs at us!
We head home with no Hali’s, no anchor system. I get home and Hug my family.
I never thought it would ever have to emergency release as we fish slow currents and we leave ourselves lots of room.
It can happen to anyone I guess. It does not need to be said but.... be careful out there! Keep your knife close to your hand in case your release knot fails.

Nice meeting you Casper! Hopefully we see you again when we are having a better day.
I'm so glad everything turned out well, so to speak. It's strange that there we were trying to be safe at Pedder Bay and go out to Sidney where it was safer to fish and then that happens. After that I think I would have gone home and hugged my family too. I looked for your scotsman on the way back but didn't see it. I think I would have lit him up with all my flares on my boat and I've got a bunch of them.

What happened? Did you cut loose and chase a fish, to have the tide pull it undeR? If that is the case, it will probably be right where you left it.. Anchors do not go far, they go under, but usually come up darn close to where you left them..

Hi Lastchance, Please see my previous post . The barge that ran over our scotchman dragged the whole system away. Must of snagged on something underneath

I'm so glad everything turned out well, so to speak. It's strange that there we were trying to be safe at Pedder Bay and go out to Sidney where it was safer to fish and then that happens. After that I think I would have gone home and hugged my family too. I looked for your scotsman on the way back but didn't see it. I think I would have lit him up with all my flares on my boat and I've got a bunch of them.

LOL. Wish you were on our boat shootin for us

One for us today of victoria, had to work hard for it. Was great to get out, my new bruce anchor is sooo much better then my old danforth set up of last season, holds well and lifts right off.

If you can find out his name, why not take him to small claims court.

Worked east constance today from 8am - 2pm on the pick. Not a single Hali bite. Tried a variety of baits and generally every little trick I have but nothin' worked today. Oh well; it happens!

Didn't pay much attention to the big blue freighter that was anchored almost in the middle of the bank, but as I was lifting my anchor I noticed him heading our way; I was fishing by some guys in a Trophy and I honestly thought that thing had hit them! Man it seemed close. Drove by the guys afterwords and they said they had the knife ready!

P.S. Anybodys thoughts on when enough is enough; time to try another spot? I'm generally under the impression that the longer I stay somewhere my scent will eventually attract something but do others have a general rule of when to move? Felt like today I should have headed towards Race because I generally catch my Hali in that area; I always have **** luch at the bank but I want to work it more and learn the ins and outs!

Stick and stay is always a good idea! Especially if you're on a spot that's produced in the past. That's my 2 cents anyways.

I'll stick in a spot rite through a tide. Slow down , swing and the all important speed up!

Once you get to know your spots really well you will notice some spots fish better at certain points in the tide so you can move around to hit those spots when there fishing there best! That way you might hit a few different bites in the same day .

Thanks for the advice guys!

I only get into a few dogs today so I didn't necessarily feel the need to move, and that's a good point LC - you never know if that lure you're pulling up was almost in range of a closing hali! It makes sense that if you've picked an appropriate spot for the conditions - you stick and stay and make it pay!

Back