2012 Halibut trip thread.

Well done Scott, you and your fishing partner must have been pretty stoked to get that in the boat. We would have liked a little more of a exiciting story about harpooning and landing it tho' - Did ya bleed it before ya wieghed it?

Well done Scott, you and your fishing partner must have been pretty stoked to get that in the boat. We would have liked a little more of a exiciting story about harpooning and landing it tho' - Did ya bleed it before ya wieghed it?

It took about 1/2 hour to get it to the boat, the first 20mins it wouldn't budge off the bottom
I can't imagine what a 150-200 lb'er would be like to deal with ???
it was getting pretty rough, so we decided to run for home after we boated it.
It bled out a lot through the gut shot, i'm not sure if that really changes the weight much anyway ?

426993_393518107343106_111860752175511_1409654_1259734383_n.jpg

Nice fish Scott! Nothing like starting the season with a fish like that!

Im so happy for you scott and good placement on the poon glad it turned out for you this time way to go!!!!!!! way better feeling isnt it......

Wolf

Well I didn't get a 104 lber like rs did (nice fish by the way) I did mange to get my first halibut today. Well maybe not my first one but the first one on my own in my own boat that I was allowed to keep. It weighed in at 27lbs 9 ozs. Caught about a 50 maybe 60 last year but had to let it go as the season had closed a few days before. Got the bug then and couldn't wait till this season started. Got a lot of good pointers from here and spent many hours going over charts and current atlas's. Started the day off trolling for salmon till there was a good current window. Didn't get any salmon but within an hour of dropping the pick I did get one on board. Learned a lot too. Kept in mind all the advice about getting too close to other boats. Sure was a pile of fun. Had a great day and the fish was just a nice bonus. Had an awesome meal of fish & chips tonight. Thanks again for all the pointers sure do appreciate it.

Anchor test was a success today. First time using the anchor system - off Albert Head (closer to Witty's) - and I got my first halibut to boot. Little guy (13/lbs) but what the hey, I'm stoked. Thanks to buddy Ray for taking me out. Beauty day; good to be back on the water. Crappy pic... but buddy never professed to be a photographer. Gotta' get my boat fixed soon.

1st. Halibut 13-lbs. 004.jpg

Did you still know which way to hold a fishing pole, LH? Lol Enjoy the meal! Hope to read a few more stories from you soon!

Anchor test was a success today. First time using the anchor system - off Albert Head (closer to Witty's) - and I got my first halibut to boot. Little guy (13/lbs) but what the hey, I'm stoked. Thanks to buddy Ray for taking me out. Beauty day; good to be back on the water. Crappy pic... but buddy never professed to be a photographer. Gotta' get my boat fixed soon.

View attachment 3487

Nice work Terry! probably a good thing that it wasn't 60, might have straightened out that clip.

Can't tell for sure but it looks like mono coming from the bottom end, to the ball I assume?? Guess the upside down spreader bar is a little hidden trick lol. Great first fish though, congrats!

Back