2012 Halibut trip thread.

After some minor meltdowns, tantrums and delays:mad:, we managed to get the little gal out of bed and on the water. Short fish, but so Worth It! Best part is she even scrubs the deck after the attack dog subdues the Hali.

Awesome..
Good on ya for taking the little one out to get her addicted to fishing..
I think I started that way at about that age!

Well I headed out this morning and enjoyed the day on the water, but couldn't find any. BUT back at the dock, chatting with a couple nice guys and they let me have at the scraps on the carcass of 35lbr. What a really nice way to finish off a skunking. Got to eat fresh halibut for dinner after all. Big thanks if you read this man!

416830_10151340985180133_630230132_23033431_867467646_n.jpg

64935_10151343224860133_630230132_23040930_1215671751_n.jpg

431131_10151343254190133_630230132_23040937_858445926_n.jpg

LC...... Its been a day man.....

Nice scratchy pics Dave... I missed the blood one though...
emo-coffee.gif

Went out for first trip of the year. Got 3 in short order, 50 20 15. Was nice to get the boat back out getting dirty! Had about 12 dogs, only at slack tide. Back at the dock by 11

Tough day for us.... Started at cattle point when we tried to launch only to find that the commercial boys blocked the ramp with cement dividers... Sure was lumpy out there today! Still better than working though!

The Oak Bay Muni boys were called to move them. They couldn't lift them, so they dragged them out of the way. There was a sign attach saying something about sporties.

Tough day for us.... Started at cattle point when we tried to launch only to find that the commercial boys blocked the ramp with cement dividers... Sure was lumpy out there today! Still better than working though!

wow, are they that concerned about a few rec boats going fishing ?:eek:

Maybe the Oak Bay crew could find a commercial boat needing some extra ballast!!!

Phone the cops have them charged with obstruction..comi-intervention another blatant disregard for our public resource/property!!!

1 landed one lost. first Hali ever between 40 and 50 lbs. the only way is to anchor thanks tor tak for rigging up the anchor. will post pic when figure out how.

Went to Pedder Bay first thing this morning only to see the wind pick up 25-30 didn't even put the boat in the water. 4-5 guys waiting to see what to do. We all turn around and head to Sidney. Fished Zero Rock till noon, till the wind picked up there .So we moved the the back side of Sidney Island to get out of the wind. All that and still no halibut. Had a tug pull a barge right over a guys anchor set-up and almost pull the guy under. He had to cut away his anchor set-up or go under. Very close call, the barge cut off his scotchman so he lost everything. It turned out that it was one of the guys that was at Pedder Bay. Talked to him later and he told me he filed a report with coast guard. Very lucky guy good thing they had there wits about them and they came out safe

Went to Pedder Bay first thing this morning only to see the wind pick up 25-30 didn't even put the boat in the water. 4-5 guys waiting to see what to do. We all turn around and head to Sidney. Fished Zero Rock till noon, till the wind picked up there .So we moved the the back side of Sidney Island to get out of the wind. All that and still no halibut. Had a tug pull a barge right over a guys anchor set-up and almost pull the guy under. He had to cut away his anchor set-up or go under. Very close call, the barge cut off his scotchman so he lost everything. It turned out that it was one of the guys that was at Pedder Bay. Talked to him later and he told me he filed a report with coast guard. Very lucky guy good thing they had there wits about them and they came out safe

That was us. All the practice of safe anchoring techniques paid off for us yesterday and we are still alive.
Here’s what happened: Anchored about 400 yards east of Zero Rock. Drop the lines straight down. A bit lumpy but everything is a perfect scenario.
After about an hour we see a tug pulling two huge barges in tandem coming around from Victoria heading our general direction.
As he gets closer (1km) away we see that he is heading right for the zero rock light beacon. We look and can’t see anyone at the helm. We honk and try call on the radio with no response. He gets closer and closer and we all get a bad feeling. We thought maybe he was possibly going to pass on the other side of Zero Rock where there were no boats at all, hard for us to judge out in the lumps where he was going.
If we wanted to pull up our anchor we would have had to head straight at him for our retrieval to work and we didn’t want to do that as the tug appeared unmanned and he was heading straight for Zero Rock. We would have been in-between him and the rock.
Right before what appeared to be him crashing aground he turns last second straight at us. His bardge that he was pulling way behind him starts a fast drift in the wind right at us.
We fire the engine, pull the emergency release on our side line and off we go. 45 seconds later the barge runs over our scotchman. It happened very fast! We keep our distance and wait for our scotchman to reappear.... and it didn’t.
He barely clears Zero Rock.
After we collect ourselves and I change my underwear... we go back to our GPS mark to see if we can find our top floating line and mini float in case he broke our scotchman off but it is nowhere to be seen. He is dragging it! We would have been pulled under his barge.
We call the coast guard to let them know what happened and to let them know that there is a madman tug driver driving between Sydney Island and James Island dragging 500ft of rope with a Bruce anchor behind him through the infested commercial crab trap line.
They tracked him and his path and gave us his boat name and filed a report with transport Canada which we have to follow up on this Monday.
To top it off we finally get him on the radio after the coast guard contacts and he laughs at us!
We head home with no Hali’s, no anchor system. I get home and Hug my family.
I never thought it would ever have to emergency release as we fish slow currents and we leave ourselves lots of room.
It can happen to anyone I guess. It does not need to be said but.... be careful out there! Keep your knife close to your hand in case your release knot fails.

Nice meeting you Casper! Hopefully we see you again when we are having a better day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back