0rca-Humpback wars

Saw that last year up in the Gwaii-Dixon Entrance to be exact -a pod of transient Orcas were taking on a Humpback who was protecting her calf and in the end she won.

No video though as it just would not have been cool to approach the scene at full speed in a skiff that said QUEEN CHARLOTTE LODGE on the side -those days are gone.

Watching from shore by Otter Point as several orcas are attacking humpbacks in one-on-one battles. One sportie out there in the middle of it. Hopefully he's rolling the vids...unreal!
Ignorant admin alert! Watching the humpbacks feed at much closer range today, and they seem to breach and then roll as they feed, causing their flukes to appear like orca dorsal fins right behind them...so what I thought were battles are really just exhuberant diners in action. Maybe an honest mistake as I was watching through binoculars from a couple of miles away....

Ignorant admin alert! Watching the humpbacks feed at much closer range today, and they seem to breach and then roll as they feed, causing their flukes to appear like orca dorsal fins right behind them...so what I thought were battles are really just exhuberant diners in action. Maybe an honest mistake as I was watching through binoculars from a couple of miles away....
That’s too bad . Would of been a cool video to watch

Saw one humpback from WAY to close today off the bluffs: he came up off our starboard quarter and then slid right underneath the boat, we could see him sliding underneath us!

I could see the headlines............... "Orcas turn to pinnipeds due to lack of Salmon"
Everyone would cheer for that one! Surely with all our technology now there is some way to facilitate a training clinic where transients teach J pod how to hunt and eat those sealion b*stards?

Back