Trophy Tyee QR handle fix

firelight

OK so now I know what people have been saying about the handles coming off these reels. I now have one with no handles and the other reel has one.

Where are people getting replacement handles? do the replacements have the same threads ? I like the idea of putting the paddle style handles on, where are these coming from?

Firelight,

I retrofitted the "old" shimano paddles and fished them hard for a season with no problem. Simple fix, take off old handle, just drill out the set screw hole of the new handle another 1/8" or so so the screw will bite the threads and locktight the screw back into place of course with the new handle on. If you are in Victoria I am happy to show you. Pick up the parts at I.O. or Tortac in Vic, Harbour chandler in nanaimo. Love them, although I may change out the drag spring for an Islander, another inexpensive easy mod.

I have extra handles if you want them or can swich them out to islander paddles If you search for the tjread I put up pics on how to do it but since then found a tool which works better for grinding it out. let me know what you want and ill try and help you I live in sooke though

Wolf

Ok I'll search out the thread with instructions. I have the old handles but the threads in the reel are buggered so I need to have a bigger handle screw to replace them. I thought the paddles might be nice and was hoping the have bigger screws.

Checked out your other post wolf and ill do the islander handles, need to order some up. Maybe should get some drag springs too.

If you need a hand let me know come by have it done in no time ive done about 15 reels or so now.

good luck

Anyone know a source for Shimano moocher handles? I have 3 reels I need to do.

Gee kelly ur just hard on everything LOL LOL

Anyone know a source for Shimano moocher handles? I have 3 reels I need to do.

See post a few hours before...

Firelight,

I retrofitted the "old" shimano paddles and fished them hard for a season with no problem. Simple fix, take off old handle, just drill out the set screw hole of the new handle another 1/8" or so so the screw will bite the threads and locktight the screw back into place of course with the new handle on. If you are in Victoria I am happy to show you. Pick up the parts at I.O. or Trotac in Vic, Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo. Love them, although I may change out the drag spring for an Islander, another inexpensive easy mod.

I'm not sure which method to use;
1) Drill out the Shimano 4000 plastic handles (this seems reel SIMPLE), or
2) Take a dremmel to the anodized aluminun on the inside and outside of the QR reel (this seems reel SCARY)

I'm also interested in the Islander drag spring. Does anybody have detailed info on this procedure, outcome, and successes?

Thanks,
F D

See post a few hours before...

I'm not sure which method to use;
1) Drill out the Shimano 4000 plastic handles (this seems reel SIMPLE), or
2) Take a dremmel to the anodized aluminun on the inside and outside of the QR reel (this seems reel SCARY)

I'm also interested in the Islander drag spring. Does anybody have detailed info on this procedure, outcome, and successes?

Thanks,
F D

1. With my reels I can't do the shimano handles because its the holes for the handle post in the reel that's buggered. I need to go with the islander handle and post that screws in from behind.

Shimano handles $2.00 and islander handle with post $21.00 at trotac. Forgot to ask about the spring.

1. With my reels I can't do the shimano handles because its the holes for the handle post in the reel that's buggered. I need to go with the islander handle and post that screws in from behind.

Shimano handles $2.00 and islander handle with post $21.00 at trotac. Forgot to ask about the spring.

FL, what did you do to your threads?! Can you not retap? I believe Burnsy has done the spring mod. If I have time I will look into it today and report back but I recall its an easy fix just a re & re.

FL, what did you do to your threads?! Can you not retap? I believe Burnsy has done the spring mod. If I have time I will look into it today and report back but I recall its an easy fix just a re & re.

well it wasn't me. couple weeks ago out coho fishing in renfrew, buddy picks up my second rod cause I was busy and he's reeling in this coho and the handle comes off, and theres only one handle on the reel. he's asking me for a screwdriver, then just jams the handle in the hole and keeps reeling, it comes out a couple times and he just keeps jamming and reeling. any way you get the picture, he got the fish in the passed me the rod and said I need a new handle. I can't recall but it was probably wild too.

well it wasn't me. couple weeks ago out coho fishing in renfrew, buddy picks up my second rod cause I was busy and he's reeling in this coho and the handle comes off, and theres only one handle on the reel. he's asking me for a screwdriver, then just jams the handle in the hole and keeps reeling, it comes out a couple times and he just keeps jamming and reeling. any way you get the picture, he got the fish in the passed me the rod and said I need a new handle. I can't recall but it was probably wild too.

had the same thing happen to me at Nootka last summer, it was a 40 pounder! We managed to get it though. Damn low quality ****.. :(

Doesn't matter Islander or Trophy, any aluminum is soft and that would happen to any make. However, it sounds like those who keep the original handles would be better off to at least use locktight on the stock handles or at the very least watch who uses your rods and consider breaking out the 4000's.

loctite wont help. The threaded holes are waay too small. At least with the Islander handles, they are fitted with the screw going through from the inside, and countersunk.

Back