O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Looks to me like its a pink along with 3 others in that pic. Tiny tiny scales that come off really easily, look at the missing scales by the tail. Pink in the boat = lots of tiny scales on the floor. Anyone else with me?

Thanks very much! It is indeed a pink. Scales give it away 100%. I've been fishing my whole life with my dad and have absolutely no problems identifying my species. The fish is in my freezer now and I'll be happy to show it to anyone who wants to try and prove me otherwise.
I guess jealousy can be a stinky cologne.

Aye, lets be a little more helpful and btw congrats on the catch...or its a huge tub and a 70cm pink beside it. Meanwhile, here is what has helped me in the early days, once you get it you can tell while they are in the water...and coho aren't confusing, white gums and only spots on the top of the tail.

Pink salmon:
View attachment 13501View attachment 13502

Spring (Chinook) salmon:
View attachment 13503View attachment 13504

NOW, back to the fishing reports....anyone spending time out at sand heads? The whales playing around there?

That 70cm pink you mention is a much larger coho. As mentioned. 3 pinks, 2 coho in the tub.

not sure what all the bickering is about? FM posted the truth,
pretty easy to tub out with limited effort right now

BACK TO REPORTS ......

Was great out there today, Sandheads to Iona Jetty and T 10 . Tough conditions at times with challenging winds making for the tidal push on the rigger lines constant work and was tough to fish got 10 . Went to North Arm and finished up with our limits.

Lots of fish ......boxed of 12 Sox, lost a ton , numerous other strikes ...... 7:30 to 2:30, 1 small spring set free, 1 coho set free, 40 to 75 feet. Mini Pink Hootch, glo head, 24 inch leader, good Ol Red and Silver Hot Spot Flashers, 4 dummies in tandem per side. Lots of multiple hookups including several triples and a Quad, just a gas with good friends !

Get out there. Good luck

BACK TO REPORTS ......

Was great out there today, Sandheads to Iona Jetty and T 10 . Tough conditions at times with challenging winds making for the tidal push on the rigger lines constant work and was tough to fish got 10 . Went to North Arm and finished up with our limits.

Lots of fish ......boxed of 12 Sox, lost a ton , numerous other strikes ...... 7:30 to 2:30, 1 small spring set free, 1 coho set free, 40 to 75 feet. Mini Pink Hootch, glo head, 24 inch leader, good Ol Red and Silver Hot Spot Flashers, 4 dummies in tandem per side. Lots of multiple hookups including several triples and a Quad, just a gas with good friends !

Get out there. Good luck

Thanks for a real report. Good to hear you did well. My 1st trip out will be Friday... was busy with family back in SK boating lots of Walleye and Pike to 12lb's. Have walleye tomorrow night for dinner.

Cheers

High tide your on fire !! ... Nice , that rigger you sold me has some of your good luck :p...

image.jpg
BACK TO REPORTS ......

Get out there. Good luck

What do you mean when you said your dummy flashers were in tandem? We worked hard for a couple today and most boats out there never dipped their nets today. View attachment 13528

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much! It is indeed a pink. Scales give it away 100%. I've been fishing my whole life with my dad and have absolutely no problems identifying my species. The fish is in my freezer now and I'll be happy to show it to anyone who wants to try and prove me otherwise.
I guess jealousy can be a stinky cologne.

I'm sure if you are able to ID your fish well it is a Pink. Some will no doubt still question it though as this is not a Pink salmon year in these waters.

Good catching in any case.

Tight lines!

On to reports. A little sloppy at T10 and the north arm this morn but managed to get close to limits once we found a nice school of biters. Took us time to find the sockeye however. Not huge schools showing up on the sounder even when the bite was on. Could have had to do with the sounder not working great in 400 ft of water which is where we found our fish.

Most hit at 70-80 ft for is today. 1 quad and a bunch of doubles. Iona / just south of north arm seemed to be the hot spot from 10am til noon today.

Sigh......Ok so typically small chinook have small scales and they can fall off with only light handling so that's not a reliable method of identification . I was just calling it how I saw it. I have seen a fair number of chinook in my life and that is a jack nookie, 100% sure.

View attachment 13530

What do you mean when you said your dummy flashers were in tandem? We worked hard for a couple today and most boats out there never dipped their nets today. View attachment 13528

Tightlines, I use gang troll like attractors off the ball, then above that I use regular flasher hooked in tandem, (together), eight feet off the cable, eight feet apart spacing on the cable. It was shown earlier on this thread or saltwater Sox thread. have a search. Works good for me.

HT

i think he means stacked, rather than tandem, i assume some people are thinking you are running your flashers in a single line off the cable and are a little confused on your wording. I use a similar set up, I run a cone zone off each cannon ball, then stack my dummies above it, about 6' apart with 6' leaders, I start with just the kone zone and if slow add dummies till I produce. also the schools aren't as big, yet, (probably due to the whales) and the water seems murkier than usual so the glow flashers will also help.

i think he means stacked, rather than tandem, i assume some people are thinking you are running your flashers in a single line off the cable and are a little confused on your wording. I use a similar set up, I run a cone zone off each cannon ball, then stack my dummies above it, about 6' apart with 6' leaders, I start with just the kone zone and if slow add dummies till I produce. also the schools aren't as big, yet, (probably due to the whales) and the water seems murkier than usual so the glow flashers will also help.

I may be wrong, but I think he means in tandem. Meaning two flashers attached together as one dummy rig off of his cable.

It is similar to a cone zone being multiple agitators, except it's two flashers together.

I have heard a number of people say that they use this technique.

Cheers.

Thinking of heading out tomorrow...anyone with any reports from today? Just deciding whether to catch the end of the first high tide at 9am and then the drop or wait and head out around 3pm for the full incoming tide late in the day? Any advice.

image.jpg
Thinking of heading out tomorrow...anyone with any reports from today? Just deciding whether to catch the end of the first high tide at 9am and then the drop or wait and head out around 3pm for the full incoming tide late in the day? Any advice.

I would suggest going any time and just put the hours in. Today we fished noon to 4 and landed 5 for 6. Would have been 6 in however last two were a double header and last fish couldn't wait for a net. View attachment 13535Not a lot of nets out at south arm however saw a few fish landed.

Removed by request. Lol

Back