New kicker. I need help

Going to buy a new kicker for a 24 footer. 9.9 high thrust long shaft. Power tilt and control box. Yamaha, merc big foot or suzuki? Who has what and what do you like/dislike about it.

I have a 8 hp high thrust yamaha. I find it hard to start and have talked to others that have the same issue. The trick to it is to neutral throttle even when its warm. It is the only complaint I have because it runs great otherwise.

My 09 9.9 high thrust runs a little rough at the exact trolling speed a like and vibrates through the swim grid and there fore through the boat. I also just spent 800 on a starting cylinoid which sucks as it has pretty low hours. I also wish I went with an extra long on my 24 trophy .

My new 9.9 HT power everything is good for a boat anchor. All the bad reports you have heard are correct. Never again. 9.9 Suzuki vibrates. If I had it to do over I would go with the 20 hp. Waiting to see what the new 20 hp Suzuki is like.

Ya mine is a high thrust only had it since last summer and have had big repair bills already the worst is the down time , hear e tech is offering a high trust 15 which would be a sweet way to go I think.

I had a Honda 8HT XL on 2003 Malibu 182 and it was an awesome little rig. It also came with the pull start which is a nice option if everything goes flat on you. I went with a 9.9 Yamaha HT XL on my current boat in 2008 not because I was unhappy with Honda but it was a weight issue. I would say all in all that the Honda was nicer all around in the kicker department anyways. I haven't however had any issues with the Yamaha but that's just how I feel. I also put a 25hp Yamaha XL on my 15' Silverstreak Runabout in 2010 and it vibrates HUGE........I know its mounted on an aluminum and I have tried to .dampen it with dense rubber and Starboard but I can't imagine the HT being better? Maybe on a bigger heavier boat? Great motor other than that and I'm going to try a few more tricks this summer to fix the problem . Just my two cents!

Last edited by a moderator:
suzuki apparently fixed the vibration issue on the 9.9 power tilt ht models. i owned one a 9.9 on a 22 footer and it was great and had a pile of hours on it with no issues. Tohatsu also makes a very good outboard (one of the oldest outboard manufactures out there) Nissan and most merc kickers are actually tohatsu's. Honda is great but you pay all the way from initial coast to spark plugs(i currently run one). Yammies are dependable you pay for the name and they usually need to be richened up because they come from the factory lean to get emissions passed which leads to hard starting in colder weather.
yammie or tohatsu would be the the two choices from me

side note on those suzukis alot of the complaints came from Arima owners and boats with custom brackets which lead to vibration resinating in the hull.
mine was on a armstrong pod and i never noticed anything.

Yammi 8HT

Have a ('07 or '08) Yammi 8 HT XL on my 22' Aluminum CC 2,000lbs. Gets 5mph max SOG when at highest revs, so a long time returning from anywhere if the main goes down (which has happened once).
Lots of vibration, and have to run at higher revs/louder than I would like, so spent a lot of time trolling on the main (Suzuki 140).
Trolling on the main is silent.

Looking at a new boat, 28' aluminum PHC, 5,000lbs. Recommended is a Yammi 9.9 HT, the boat dealer is a Yammi dealer.
I was thinking maybe a 15 to 25. Yamaha has a 25HT, but isn't available in an XL.

Looking for suggestions.

25 would be good if the main goes down, but that is going to be so much extra weight and cost . 15 high trust would be a
way to go. My friend had a t 9.9 on 28 king fisher and that trolled his hull around nicely.

I have a 2003 8 HT Yamaha and never had a problem starting it. Even when the motor is cold it will often start on the first pull, plus it runs very smoothly and is very econimical

My 2009 Yamaha T8 is also a pig to start - hot or cold. Love my F150, the T8 not so much. I had a Yam 6hp on my last boat and it was an easy to start, smooth running motor so not sure what's going on with the T8.

Went and looked at some outboards today. The honda is looking like the front runner.by the time you get the power tilt and electric start and front controls they are all pricey.no real draw backs i can see.

I have been using a Tohatsu 9.8 electric start/remote throttle for a couple of years. Easy starting, problem free, and it was quite a bit cheaper than the others. I would get it again.

I've got a 8 hp Yamaha high thrust. I bought the elec start remote lift. Never had a problem starting it. Weights 105 lbs and breaths fumes. Dirt cheap to operate. I've had it 4 years (2008 model) and I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

No Issues with My T8 either.. (2006) I believe but bought new in '09 Its elect start and remote

Im buying a new 9.9 or 15 for my new boat... 24ft podded was thinking of moving upto a 15 just because...

Back