2014 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

This area (or the thread) has been awfully quiet these days...thought I would break the ice...

Have a good friend fishing with Pacific Rim Charters out of Ukee for the last couple of days. Had good luck with hali @ big bank yesterday, and today bumped into a few nice slabs on the inside, including this purdy Tyee.

Tipped em at 35 lbs.
Couldn't get the finer details out of him but they are getting them inshore. Not crazy action but the bumps have been worth it when they come.

I'm sitting in the Black Rock parking lot using their internet. Rain gear is on, but I came here rather than to the boat. Blowing and raining hard SE but is supposed to die down this afternoon. Yesterday was the same. Thursday and Friday were good for weather and fishing. I got a 26 lb fish at adipose Thursday, two low twenties just west of Red Can on Friday. Shook them all yesterday- lots of unders and cohos. Easy trolling for chickens near the yellow buoy on Lightouse bank. Loads of Lings in certain spots.
I would guess that FB's buddy got his fish close to shore rather than in Barkley, between Red Can and Long Beach. Few guides are even bothering to head to Big Bank yet. A bit of a different year maybe. Squid, sticklebacks, small herring( no needlefish) in bellies. Gal at the fish/ice plant says pilchards are looking like a bust again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ukee is on FIRE!! Easy limits of springs and coho. Springs are all nice size close to shore yesterday 8 springs at a 20 plus pound average with 2 over 30 in an hour and a half. Coho are thick after a quick limit of those rest of the time shacking them off and some nice sized hali's as well. A buddy of mine pulled in a 43lb spring a couple days ago fish are just stuffed with squid ( Follow the birds ) This action has been going on for a bit.

Ukee is on FIRE!! Easy limits of springs and coho. Springs are all nice size close to shore yesterday 8 springs at a 20 plus pound average with 2 over 30 in an hour and a half. Coho are thick after a quick limit of those rest of the time shacking them off and some nice sized hali's as well. A buddy of mine pulled in a 43lb spring a couple days ago fish are just stuffed with squid ( Follow the birds ) This action has been going on for a bit.

Where have the hot places been to fish the last couple??

just got back from 8 days there, florencia was super hit or miss and the best bite was within about 1-2 hours of first light aka. leaving the dock about 4:45. used jumbo white hoochies or all white spoons and got a few if they were in there, but they were filling up on the squid pretty quick in the morning.

Had unbelievable fishing at 'black rock' and the 'red can' though from about 9-2, good bite and lots of high teens and low twentys with the odd tyee mixed in. also did lots of late trips after 6pm and had just as much success as the morning bite. great bear was great for a late fish. did really good on a #4 clown-car spoon there trolled fast and decent on a #4 or #5 emerald spoon and a #5 black pearl. the 3.5 and 4 silver/blue and silver/green coyote spoons were a hot ticket too i heard from others on the dock.

all the fish i cleaned had 5" herring or squid in there bellys so anything that looks like those works greats.

no need to goto the bank less ur in need of some white meat, rats nose is loaded with good sized halibut

Great report Sea owl, heading over myself next week to try my luck, is there somewhere in Ukee you can get ice on the water?

Great report Sea owl, heading over myself next week to try my luck, is there somewhere in Ukee you can get ice on the water?

The fuel dock usually has salt ice in bags and Neptune Ice is right next door. I just tie up (if no commercial boats are out front) and climb the ladder and talk to someone. They are great people with good service and reasonable prices :).

neptune is the only one i know of if u dont mind ladders and there no commercials. most of the time when i try the fuel dock there out.

i have found the easiest and close to the cheapest at 'fish-ful thinking', 5 bucks for a 5 gal bucket, 4 buckets filled my 110gal cooler to the top and lasted me 4 days on the boat packing fish non-stop. there right by the boat basin

Thanks for ice info, anyone have any tips on a good spot this time of year if seas are rough?
How's Swale Rock these days?

Trying to plan a trip to ukie next week with the family as Disney trip fell through. Any tips on campsites or hotels with boat launch/moorage or close to those? Thanks in advance!

Just back from Ukee & had awesome fishing nice & close . South bank & Rats nose were dead for Salmon. Did get our 4 Hali at the rat & came back into just inside surf line . Some Northern coho up to 15 lbs showing up last few days with a nice mix of mature springs . White hoochi & fast troll worked very well . No need to go further than surf line for awesome Salmon fishing !!! Good luck boys ! Slick

I'm in the same boat as deejay plans fell through gonna head up to ukee or tofino with a 20 ft aluminum with offshore bracket any help with a location to stay with a boat launch not looking to head out super far for coho springs amd Hali gonna be with the family thanks in advance guys.

big swells coming. Island West in Ukee has camping, launch, marina. You could also camp elsewhere, use the free launch near the seaplane area, and moor at the gov't dock.

Thanks for ice info, anyone have any tips on a good spot this time of year if seas are rough?
How's Swale Rock these days?

Fished Swale on friday afternoon the 11th. Only undersized for us, did not see anyone catch anything of note.

Just back from Ukee & had awesome fishing nice & close . South bank & Rats nose were dead for Salmon. Did get our 4 Hali at the rat & came back into just inside surf line . Some Northern coho up to 15 lbs showing up last few days with a nice mix of mature springs . White hoochi & fast troll worked very well . No need to go further than surf line for awesome Salmon fishing !!! Good luck boys ! Slick

Things haven't changed all that much from Slick report a week ago, lots of fish along the surf line. Squid still in their bellies and white hootchies still working (but not everywhere). Ukee harbour mouth has been good the last few days. Fished Longbeach one day, good for Hali's but salmon was only ok. We got the majority of our fish either along the 'rocks' or dragging a sandy bottom in less than 100ft.

So many boats fishing Ukee & no reports ???? Come on boys let some reports out good or bad . It was slowing down a week ago but a few buddies & other members are getting a few & not posting ?????:confused:
Waiting !!!!!!! ???????

gonna guess the ease of social media and texting is keepin most at bay , lock jaw lol ,

fishin is just not good enough in most popular, well known areas right now , to support hundreds of boats,
all hammering one or 2 areas cause of a public report , hundreds if not thousands read the Uki and Bam reports here daily,
based on the messages im getting , its slow for most , but are finding areas holding a few fish in the Sound , keepin er on the low ,
i dont blame them !!
today was much better inshore , on the South East side of the Sound !!

i will say , i know the top rods in the Bam area are doin very well , ive seen the pics !!
so they are out there , just a matter of putting some effort and time in MOVING AROUND !!!
20 mins , nothing ! move !!

my guess is big bank or Swiftsure is where most consistant catches are comin from ,
Souththbank to South east 7-10 mile was dead last week , as well as Tofino area from the guys i talked to

Patience , it will get better , much better , very soon !

i know this doesnt help much , but.......
doesnt help that alot of good guys that use ta post reports here alot ,
are no longer posting , again ,i dont blame them !!!

gd lk

fd
m2b

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the fish had lockjaw yesterday for the most part but are biting best in the afternoons in our offshore areas lately.......they are preferring the small ebb tide.

I will say that one of our boats had a nice 35 lber

Thank's for reports guy's !!!! Stuck at work for 3 weeks until next trip. Hopefully I timed it right again . A slow day of fishing beat's working any day !!! Reports help get through the day !!!! LoL ! Maybe those Tuna will be in reach of Ukee soon too .

Back