Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2016....

My favorite thread each year too:)

It inspired me to row with a friend last year on the Big Qualicum. No fish but a terrific evening of conversation and a bit of sweat equity.

Thanks Dave

Hey Everybody, the Tyee Clubhouse is open to the public! If you are in CR, wander through the gate, see the memorabilia, buy a hat and ask Bob (weighmaster) some questions. There is a campfire at the club most nights, swing by and grab a seat, and listen to some superb tyee BS of the finest quality.

Further up this thread, someone was asking about a rowboat "charter". Bob has half a dozen+ cards from capable fishing guides who do rowing charters. Ask him for his recommendations. You may get one of the old dogs, who are experienced fishers, with lots of tyee experience and stories.

How many Peso's would a feller need to hire one of these row-row-row your boaters? Or is that just gauche?

A family man needs to budget before fulfilling his dreams of a Tyee Pin!

OLAY!

Painters $199 + tax for a tide. Private guys....... ??? probably right in there, maybe slightly less.

How many $$$ needed to get a pin? (Dave and any other rowers will laugh here).

How much golf do you need to play to get a hole in one?

I started when I was 12yrs old, caught my first Tyee at age 45, my wife got her Tyee on her second tide ever (but she had a better guide!)

Rowed a couple of really nice young fellows from Ontario tonite with the full knowledge it's a couple of weeks early to have any real expectations but the exercise is needed and the evening was pleasant, notwithstanding the usual First Nations fellows flouting the laws by motoring through the pool and the one boat that both motored and down-riggered through just before dark.

Not sure why, after 94 years of little to none of this nonsense, a few locals seem to have it in for the Tyee Club, but nothing good will come of this methinks.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to rowing another member from here tomorrow nite and will report back after that.

Until then.....

Take care.

Dave
Perhaps the FN guys that trolled trough with riggers were fishing like in the old days without modern electronics - just lost out there. Not all First Nations people are lost. However the few lost FN guys sure does mke it uncomfortabe for everyone.
Keep up the great work!
Stosh

It's all a learning experience when it comes to Tyee fishing and last night my first-time rod-holder and I learned something new, and sadly, a discouraging bit of fact indeed.

This relates to why was the date July 15 chosen as opening day for Tyee rowing when so few Tyee are caught in July??

So, after explaining to the two young men I rowed two nights ago as well as Alan last night that the chances were extremely slim we'd actually encounter a fish, we posed the question to Bob, the Weighmaster.
He replied that a couple other guys had had the same question recently so sat down and went through all the records of the Tyee Club since day One and discovered the following:

In the history of the Tyee Club there have been only 11 Tyee registered in the month of July.

11!!!

I think he mentioned that even in a year when nearly 275 Tyee were registered (pre-dam on Campbell) not one was caught in July.

This was news to me but didn't stop me going out and enjoying the company of new people in my boat, which I truly did.

Here's my crew from Sunday evening, and a couple of fine young men indeed. One is heading into first year University and the other is in Grade 10.
We saw whales blowing and enjoyed the ambience of the whole evening and I'm hoping they can come back some time more into the season when we have a real chance.

Here's my rookie rod-holder from Alberta who turned out to be a natural and handled the rod and boat really well.
I was impressed.

So, any rowing done in the month of July is strictly for exercise it appears.

But August is getting here soon. lol

Take care.

Hey Dave,
What sort of depth of water is the Tyee Pool? And what sort of depth do you think you are getting with your presentation, and how much line do you guys typically have out? Do you use counters on your reels? I remember you said something about a weight last year - how many ounces? Love the thread...

Hey Dave,
What sort of depth of water is the Tyee Pool? And what sort of depth do you think you are getting with your presentation, and how much line do you guys typically have out? Do you use counters on your reels? I remember you said something about a weight last year - how many ounces? Love the thread...

Depth ranges somewhat with the tides but I think 30 to 40 feet mostly. I've yet to check the depth with my sounder so that's just a guess and you can't use a sounder when fishing.

As to how much line one has out, well that varies with whether you're fishing a plug or a spoon but generally between 40 and 60 feet of line out in total, although I rowed a 45 pounder which we nailed in 20 feet of water with but 25' of line out back in 2013, so you never know. Most guys like 24 feet or so out before attaching the weight then another 24-30 feet after that.
Weights must be no more than 6 oz. in the pool with most people using 4 oz on plugs and 2 oz on spoons. I used 1 oz when we got the 45.

Don't know anyone who uses "counters" on their reel. We use the term "pulls", as in "Give me 16 pulls please."
On my outfit one pull equals about 18 inches so 16 good pulls should be 24 feet or so.

Got my sister and my old step-brother visiting so might give them the $2.00 tour around the estuary in the rowboat tonight.

No sense fishing.

Take care.

Thank you again Dave, it was a great experience even though the odds were strongly against us I really enjoyed it and enjoyed your company. I will be following the thread this year so keep us posted. On a happy note I did catch some salmon and ling today before I left so that was good but no worries they were not tyees! Will stay in touch and see you next August!

Depth ranges somewhat with the tides but I think 30 to 40 feet mostly. I've yet to check the depth with my sounder so that's just a guess and you can't use a sounder when fishing.

As to how much line one has out, well that varies with whether you're fishing a plug or a spoon but generally between 40 and 60 feet of line out in total, although I rowed a 45 pounder which we nailed in 20 feet of water with but 25' of line out back in 2013, so you never know. Most guys like 24 feet or so out before attaching the weight then another 24-30 feet after that.
Weights must be no more than 6 oz. in the pool with most people using 4 oz on plugs and 2 oz on spoons. I used 1 oz when we got the 45.

Don't know anyone who uses "counters" on their reel. We use the term "pulls", as in "Give me 16 pulls please."
On my outfit one pull equals about 18 inches so 16 good pulls should be 24 feet or so.

Got my sister and my old step-brother visiting so might give them the $2.00 tour around the estuary in the rowboat tonight.

No sense fishing.

Take care.

Wow - thanks for the response. I had no idea that all the action was that shallow. It sounds like your gear is being pulled super shallow - like 10' - 20' shallow. Do you guys get many coho as bycatch?

Wow - thanks for the response. I had no idea that all the action was that shallow. It sounds like your gear is being pulled super shallow - like 10' - 20' shallow. Do you guys get many coho as bycatch?

Shallow fishing and no coho as bycatch as they normally aren't here when we are fishing Tyee.

Take care.

Sorry for the interruption from south of the border, but I noticed 4 mint Lucky Louie plugs in pink pearl on the E auction site. Plastic, not wood, but I am sure they may be an item of interest up your way.

4", two 4-1/2" and one 5-1/2". From the 1960's. In original boxes with paperwork.

Plus they are in Vernon, B.C.

Go the bay and search Lucky Louie.

upload_2016-7-27_11-1-39.png

Time for a bit of an update and this morning gave me the opportunity as we had some excitement off the Spit, none related to Tyee fishing however.

Here's a pic of the boat and crew that made a slight miscalculation regarding the actual channels location.

Can you say: Oooops!

The small boat tried to hook up and pull them free and just as I left to retrieve my poor waterlogged dog the small Coast Guard boat arrived to assist.

Seems they managed to get off ok as they were gone when I returned.

Shortly thereafter one of the sea-planes got all revved up attempting to take off when there was a very loud BANG and the engine quit instantly.

A couple of minutes later the engine flashed up and the plane slowly taxied back inside the Spit.
Don't know what caused all that but glad it happened before they got airborne.

Been windy here the past few days and no rowboat activity to speak of.

This coming week should see an increase in effort should the winds allow as we're getting closer to actually having fish in the Pool.

Finally, here's what my next boat is going to look like.
Just need to save up a bit more.

Take care.

Time for a bit of an update and this morning gave me the opportunity as we had some excitement off the Spit, none related to Tyee fishing however.

Here's a pic of the boat and crew that made a slight miscalculation regarding the actual channels location.

Can you say: Oooops!

The small boat tried to hook up and pull them free and just as I left to retrieve my poor waterlogged dog the small Coast Guard boat arrived to assist.

Seems they managed to get off ok as they were gone when I returned.

Shortly thereafter one of the sea-planes got all revved up attempting to take off when there was a very loud BANG and the engine quit instantly.

A couple of minutes later the engine flashed up and the plane slowly taxied back inside the Spit.
Don't know what caused all that but glad it happened before they got airborne.

Been windy here the past few days and no rowboat activity to speak of.

This coming week should see an increase in effort should the winds allow as we're getting closer to actually having fish in the Pool.

Finally, here's what my next boat is going to look like.
Just need to save up a bit more.

Take care.
Thanks for the report.
Good luck with the savings!
Stosh

Planning to fish the pool for the first time in August. Would appreciate any info on the best part of the tides to fish. I'm assuming first and last light would be worth fishing regardless of where the tides at?

Lucky Louie plugs in pink pearl on the E auction site

Y'all old salts have me wondering about these here lucky louies... Could a feller reproduce them on a 3d printer? Or is there something that is magical about the plastic and plug that makes it impossible to duplicate?!

Planning to fish the pool for the first time in August. Would appreciate any info on the best part of the tides to fish. I'm assuming first and last light would be worth fishing regardless of where the tides at?

Early morning at first light is popular although not necessarily the most productive time.

An hour or so after the midday flood starts can produce too and there are a few guys who always work that time hanging spoons off the corner of the bar.

The evening time is most popular and when the "bite" comes on it can be pretty exciting with several hook-ups happening in a short period.

You can always go to the Tyee Club website and check the catch records page to see what times the fish were caught too, if that's any help.

http://www.tyeeclub.org/catch-records/catch-records-history/

Good luck when you get out.

Take care.

Y'all old salts have me wondering about these here lucky louies... Could a feller reproduce them on a 3d printer? Or is there something that is magical about the plastic and plug that makes it impossible to duplicate?!

I'd love to have someone make one on a 3D printer to see how it turns out.

Like all lures, some work better than others and we all have our "magical" plug, but in reality there is nothing magical about them other than we use them and they sometimes catch fish.

Truth be told all kinds of plugs catch Tyee. It's just a matter of sticking it in the face of a biter.

Take care.

Back