YOU HAVE BEEN SHAFTED!!!! --Oh ya!!

After speaking with tons of guides, anglers, lodge owners etc in the past day or two, I think this should have been planned better as well...not one person I spoke with or had e-mails from can come down due to work commitments. It at the very least a $200.00 trip to tow a guide sized boat down and back from Nanaimo, Comox Valley, Campbell River, Port Alberni, Port Hardy etc....with the highest concentration of anglers guides etc on the Island in this area there should have been two simultaneous rallies held....one in Victoria and one say in Campbell River....this would have got the whole island on the same page....re-schedule and make it work for all....

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

After speaking with tons of guides, anglers, lodge owners etc in the past day or two, I think this should have been planned better as well...not one person I spoke with or had e-mails from can come down due to work commitments. It at the very least a $200.00 trip to tow a guide sized boat down and back from Nanaimo, Comox Valley, Campbell River, Port Alberni, Port Hardy etc....with the highest concentration of anglers guides etc on the Island in this area there should have been two simultaneous rallies held....one in Victoria and one say in Campbell River....this would have got the whole island on the same page....re-schedule and make it work for all....

Good points. I tend to agree.

My boat is in Campbell River at the moment, but I don't have a trailer or a truck to tow it with. I'm afraid that leaves me out.

Another point I would like to make regarding the use of Friday. Not a good choice. You won't get much coverage in the media. In political circles, Friday is "take out the trash day". It's the day you dump all the media stories into the public arena that you don't want the public to see. It gets lost over the weekend, and by Monday it has been forgotten.

You want to make a media splash, do it on a Monday and follow up during the next few days with media interviews of the movers and shakers in the protest. Draw it out over the entire week.

If you are protesting in Victoria, then the Legislature Buildings are your target, not some non-descript DFO building. Get where the public can see you and you have access to the media. Run the parade past DFO on your way to the Legislature.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I can't believe you guys.(Searun, sushihunter and fishingbc)Someone has committed to actually doing something to raise public awareness and all you can do is whine and ***** about the details. I won't be attending but I sure hope to watch it on TV. In order to move forward you gotta start somewhere. Good on ya Gov, keep it up.BRS PS I think you three should read the Governor's last post again.

Victoria put this together and they are to be praised for doing so.

Those who are being critics have the ability to organize their own rallys.

We will await their rallys and see how it goes for them and the cause.

I can see why people get mad....you get the people that organize and attend....then you have the WHINERS AND COMPLAINERS THAT DO SQUAT...we all need to stand together and do something before it is too late...TAKE A DAY OFF and make stuff happen

There always seems to be numerous excuses

Even if it was done on a MONDAY or ANY OTHER DAY...PEOPLE WOULD STILL COMPLAIN AND FIND A REASON NOT TO ATTEND:(

quote:Originally posted by bigredsnapper

I can't believe you guys.(Searun, sushihunter and fishingbc)Someone has committed to actually doing something to raise public awareness and all you can do is whine and ***** about the details. I won't be attending but I sure hope to watch it on TV. In order to move forward you gotta start somewhere. Good on ya Gov, keep it up.BRS PS I think you three should read the Governor's last post again.

Whoa!

I am not criticizing the people who are putting this protest together.

I am merely pointing out how it could be made better.

If the purpose of this protest is to get a message to the politicians and the public to get a change in the 88/12 Halibut split, then you want to get maximum result from your effort. I simply offered some ideas that would help.

If the purpose is to have a self-congratulatory circle jerk. Then carry on.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

I will most likely be able to take the day off so i can go with my boat. I feel that the fight for hali is good, but this rally should also be about saving the salmon. Stop open pens and stop 'run of river'. I think the 3 issues will be viewed better together by the public, rather than just the hali.My 2 cents.

curious angle, but would it be an advantage to give the unknowing public the heads up by placing a banner up on the Helmcken overpass summarizing the basic issue of 88/12 (simple tag such as '88/12 commercial favoritism, not a conservation issue') with a few notes about sport fishing rights and halibut below??? Just enough to get it in their head maybe a day or two before the rally during morning rushhour!?!? Could even have a note about the following rally?

Not a bad idea Deewar...

Sushi, you are wrong with the newspapers. Mon is the least read paper in fact National Post has just canceled its Mon edition to cut costs because it's the least read edition. For a reason Fri and weekend paper ads are the most expensive...

To the other critics, ther will probably always be a way to make it even better but this may be the best bang we can organize right now. And believe me, if someone gets the message across right it will be Chris Bos as he is an excellent speaker and understands the issue like very few do...

Hey Sushi, the date is already set so if your way of trying to help is to question that then your'e really not helping at all, are you? These guys are just trying to do something maybe you should see what happens THEN come up with some constructive criticism for the next time. BRS

You tube coverage surpasses paper by a long shot. Politicians are more sensitive to the Internet than paper.

Hey Sushi, the date is already set so if your way of trying to help is to question that then your'e really not helping at all, are you? These guys are just trying to do something maybe you should see what happens THEN come up with some constructive criticism for the next time. BRS

I'm not sure why people are jumping all over me on this one. [?] [?] [?]

All I did was offer some ideas on how to improve the project. Which if I am not mistaken, is "CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM".

Let me ask you a question - If I am out fishing and see you in another boat, heading directly at a submerged rock, do I...

1- Alert you to the fact that you will soon hit the rock.

OR

2 - Assume that you know what you are doing and watch until you impact the rock and sink, and THEN offer my advice on rescue efforts?

Keep in mind, I am a political organizer. I do this as a hobby. I just might know something that will help.

I support what is being done here, even if it is against the party I helped elect.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

I am not jumping on anyone just so you know...it always seems to be the same b/s when people try to do thing to help out and take a stand for things....

Would it help to do a protest at other locations? I’m in the Comox Valley and we have a Services Canada (Federal) office and a DFO office. If any are interested here we could meet at zellers and drive a route by both offices. Maybe contact local media to cover the event. GLG

Wow, a little over sensitive and disingenuous. Yes good on those who took the initiative to take some action...my hat is off to those who have the fight in them. Good on you!

All I'm trying to do is give some hopefully constructive ideas on how to avoid a train wreck. My concern is we need to avoid pissing off the court of public opinion by sounding like a bunch of red necks looking to kill the last hali. I think this protest as currently stated and messaged has the potential to do more harm than good, unless we are careful about the messaging.

Big risk in my view of proceeding as planned, but there is time to make adjustments if anyone cares to listen.

quote:Originally posted by OldBlackDog

Victoria put this together and they are to be praised for doing so.

Those who are being critics have the ability to organize their own rallys.

We will await their rallys and see how it goes for them and the cause.
got any good ideas.....thought so....too blind to see the positives in having the whole island participate

got any good ideas.....thought so....too blind to see the positives in having the whole island participate

Hey FishingBC are you up for doing something here in the valley?
GLG

Hey Fishingbc, the date and location have been set and you have been invited to attend and show your support. If you choose not to that's fine and if you don't support the cause that's fine too. This is the first public action taken and it would be nice to coordinate with everyone Island wide and try to make everyone happy but this does not have to be a one shot deal, but a place to start. Don't forget we are all on the same team. The boys in Victoria are going ahead and any ideas on how to make work I'm sure would be gladly taken. Hey Governor I think you should contact Sushi and Searun for their input and expertise. BRS

The Shock and Awe Boat on Trailer Rolling Protest Rally is set to congregate at Victoria's Inner Harbour outside the Legislature at a focus time of 10:00 AM moving at a crawl. The concept has been well thought through by the SVIAC Steering Committee. There will be sufficient time for the media to prepare their story for national evening news even with the country's time difference. In addition to the rolling protest, there will also be a number of boats in the water right there in the harbour conducting a mock protest halibut fishery (there are no halis in the harbour of course). At the centre of the rally there will be a media table and event spokespeople to talk on the ALLOCATION issue. With sufficient boats on tailers in attendance, some will be dispatched to simultainiously protest outside DFO office in Saanich.

We need at least a hundred boats on trailers - that will make a mile long procession. That's a major statement by anyone's measure. That will also make people say WTF has DFO done to get such a response from the normally meek angling community. So it is now up to you to show up. Make this a success by being there and getting involved. After the rally the SVIAC go to Ottawa to ratchet up the pressure. If that isn't successful we plan our next event likely coordinated coastwide.

Here's an idea or two - If you don't have your boat or trailer ready yet, it would be great to jump in your car/truck with your fishing buddies and come on down and join us. The more the merrier. A bunch of anglers on the ground is really good too! That won't cost you $200 bucks in gas as you can split it between you. If you really can't make it down here, then pick a strategic DFO location near you and roll your boat and trailer round their front door for 30 minutes at exactly 10:00 AM and get your friends to join you. This syncs with the Victoria rally.

Sushi, Searun, Fishingbc .... I am sure the Steering Committee appreciate all your constructive ideas and alternate suggestions of other forum members on this post and would welcome your input on the next event. But for now let's ALL get behind making the Shock and Awe Rally a huge success because that will get us heard as one big angry voice!

The message is simple: anglers want the failed Thibault 88/12 thrown out for good, get us back to our historic season and catch limits plus say a huge NOT A CHANCE to this allocation debacle on other species.

THE EVENT STEERING COMMITTEE WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GET AN IDEA OF NUMBERS OF PEOPLE AND BOATS ATTENDING.

Please email sviac@shaw.ca or post here and say "I'm in with my boat on trailer" or "I'm in no boat"
Many thanks and see ya Friday!

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Back