yammy 8hp high thrust issue

bcbassfishing

Well to the all knoledgable crew I have an interesting one for ya... Have a Yamaha 8ph high trust kicker on my boat that is a pain to get set to a trolling speed. It has it's own forward controls and when you bump the stick forward it is very difficult to find a sweet spot... usually you have to rev it up then let it settle and hope for the best it lands at a decent rpm or when it does settle down and you're happy it seems like any shifting or wave pounding will change the rpm and you have to start the process over again. Any thoughts on where to start with this?

Id adjust the Well to the all knoledgable crew I have an interesting one for ya... Have a Yamaha 8ph high trust kicker on my boat that is a pain to get set to a trolling speed. It has it's own forward controls and when you bump the stick forward it is very difficult to find a sweet spot... usually you have to rev it up then let it settle and hope for the best it lands at a decent rpm or when it does settle down and you're happy it seems like any shifting or wave pounding will change the rpm and you have to start the process over again. Any thoughts on where to start with this?
I adjusted the idle on mine...turned the screw

I had an iTroll on my F8 and it was awesome. You can adjust as necessary without leaving the helm and it had very fine adjustment capability.

Check the tightness of the clamp that holds the throttle shaft on the underside of the tiller arm. Had to tighten mine after a couple years use

no tiller arm on this unit as it's all forward controls, seems like their's are window where it's next to impossible to adjust the thottle ... seems to jump rpm or back to idle. I've had to over throttle and tune it back but won't stay consistant. Any jarring in the boat will throw the rpms up or down.

The electronic throttle controls work very well and have precise settings without being influenced by cables that flex as you turn the engine to steer. I have a Trollking which was made back in the 90's...still works as new now. I would try a different cable from the motor to the remote box...get a premium quality one and see if that helps your existing issue.

No experience with the system but I'll do some research into it. Thanks guys. It's a real pain playing with the throttle lever all day trying to dial it in and just won't stay put.

I have my Yami remote box at my rear station and the electronic throttle control up front...this so when I get to crawl inside I can make speed adjustments without having to get up and down to the rear station. Great for windy days when you have to bump up the speed or lower it when going into or with the winds.

we covered itroll and others but if your hands on a slip linkage to a RC servo / tester will work and can be done for less than $100

( i run a T8 )
Hardwired !! , wireless remote version , waste of $$$ , batteries die WAY to fast , best thing ive put on my boat in years , fine tune on a dial , LOVE it , right beside my rear helm station , Idle , Resume button , .......ahhhhh
Interesting! I am going about 2 months on one set of batteries with my wireless.

x3 on the wired TrollMaster Pro. YEARS of the "too fast / too slow / too fast" frustration and replacing the throttle cables every couple years due to the excess bends to get to the offset kicker. Now we're loving trolling again.

FD

I went through similar trajectory as others here: try to live with it, adjust cables with barrel adjusters etc, admit defeat and get electronic control package.

X4 for wired Trollmaster! Install was easy, operated well once I realised you have to engage it at idle speed so it has a reference point (all covered in the instruction manual for you rule followers).

I can also see @wildthing concept of doing it with RC parts. The linkages supplied with Trollmaster are just stiff stainless wire. Wouldn't be hard to back engineer one.

Sucks since it had that system on the boat when I bought it and sold it to a fellow member here as I figured I wont use it. Who's got the best deal on the system these days?

Sucks since it had that system on the boat when I bought it and sold it to a fellow member here as I figured I wont use it. Who's got the best deal on the system these days?

I give the forum members 20 percent off on these. Pm me if interested.

As nice as the wireless unit is (when the remote works), I highly recommend the wired version. There is almost a 90 percent failure rate on the wireless remote itself. Wire version is rock solid

I give the forum members 20 percent off on these. Pm me if interested.

As nice as the wireless unit is (when the remote works), I highly recommend the wired version. There is almost a 90 percent failure rate on the wireless remote itself. Wire version is rock solid
Dont' know if I saved your number in my phone... but sounds like a good start.

Back