9.9 yamaha shift rod adjustment

submerged

I have a 2000 9.9 4 sroke tiller Yamaha kicker that is having trouble staying in forward gear. It is fine at very low rpms, but as soon as much throttle is applied, it repeatedly jumps, like it hit a log. If I hold the shift lever forward it is fine, but as soon as I let go, it starts jumping again. It needs the pressure to keep it in forward gear. Neutral and reverse have no issues.

It seems I should be able to adjust the shifter linkage to a more forward position to fix this, but I can't figure out how. Is there a way to adjust in the tiller arm? Any info is greatly Appreciated.

adjust where the cable goes to the shifter rod inside the cowl by the throttle linkage.

adjust where the cable goes to the shifter rod inside the cowl by the throttle linkage.
Thanks for the reply. I couldn’t however get it to stop skipping out of gear, so it's now at Garside. Hopefully they find the issue and it doesn't hurt too much.

It's the relationship between the barrel nut on either side of the shift rod. Down above the gearcase in the shift shaft area in front of the exhaust housing. You have to split the nut apart while taking the gearcase off. That one

Back