Written off vehicles

An example of a good write off I saw... A brand new Ford Diesel that fell off a hoist, onto the corner of the cab and totally messed up the box. It was white. It went through the ICBC auction, and a friend won the bid. Within a week he found a never used white box from the same year truck from one of the utility companies that replace the boxes with their own utility versions. So it was a simple re and re no painting of the box. Just had to repair and repaint the roof of the cab.

some policies allow for full replacement if the vehicle is no more then 2 years old I believe so you might get away with
little damage there,
but I believe a total loss from icbc results from more then 60%-70% of the vehicles worth in damage +/-
at least thats what it used to be when I worked in the industry so a 20,000 dollar truck would have to have more then 12000 in damages?
hope that puts a little more perspective on it, oh and any vehicle thats been in salt water is written off due to long term effects on electrical,
may come out of the water and look perfect but.......
I do believe most of those would be sold as dismantle only tho

I have bought a write off or three in my 35 year career in the auto industry......

They are like buying anything used....you need to know what to look for and what to know!

An ICBC "write-off" covers a huge area......vehicles stolen, then recovered after ICBC has paid off get sold as a "write-off"..... an older (insert vehicle model) is involved in a rear end collison, hit a higher vehicle, grill, hood, fenders done, writen off, all cosmetic, new (used) parts found, painted and a great vehicle! A vehicle sumerged to a certain degree in fresh water will be repaired, salt or brackish water and if water gets a foot deep in the cab, write off time.....and with these there will be years of problems if any attempt to repair!

A vehicle that has been written off should sell for 60-70% of what a normal vehicle in the same condition would sell for. Anyone who buys a write off should be doing it with the thought in mind of driving it for several years, or until they think they have got their monies worth out of it.

Like anything else, get it checked, even go as far as having a government inspection done ($200-250.) by a local shop, can put a bit of "pressure" on the inspector this way since if something does show up fairly quickly, the inspecting shop is on the hook for part of repairs.....

Many people will not like this comment, but, buy off a dealer!!!

Buying off a registered dealer (not a corner lot that name changes every week!) gives the public protection! The VSA was set up as a consumer (and dealer ) tool to arbitrate any problems after a sale.......works great! Best part is dealers have to stand behind the vehicles they sell!!!

Many people ***** about dealer pricing on used vehicles.....sticker price is asking price! As with any large investment, no one pays list price! Another thing to remember with a dealer, the vehicle you are looking at (unless quite old) has been serviced, inspected, repaired if required, detailed and comes with a three month, 5,000 km warranty on major components.....not buyer beware like a private sale!

We just bought a used vehicle from Metro Toyota.
standard warranty is 30 days on drive train.
anything over and above costs you extra

Back