WOT: Gun it or Easy Up?

I'm running a Volvo D3 diesel. The technical advice was to warm up to 170 degrees before exceeding about 1200 rpm. Once done I power up quickly to get on the plane -- and the boat gets up much faster than the original V8 gas engine -- the aluminum block is 500 lbs lighter, and the duoprop gives a lot of lift, so it pops up pretty quickly. No advice about running wide open throttle but it has been known to happen.

I'm running a Volvo D3 diesel. The technical advice was to warm up to 170 degrees before exceeding about 1200 rpm. Once done I power up quickly to get on the plane -- and the boat gets up much faster than the original V8 gas engine -- the aluminum block is 500 lbs lighter, and the duoprop gives a lot of lift, so it pops up pretty quickly. No advice about running wide open throttle but it has been known to happen.
I was told my 41s don't like more than 30 seconds at WOT

go slowly until its at temp then slide smoothly forward until on plane and back down to cruise. theres no need to slam it or do it excessively slowly either. everything in moderation. be sure to do 5 min of WOT 5800rpm end of the day though.
I really like the idea of a 5 minute, 50mph sprint to finish my day. However I am going to take a pass.

I really like the idea of a 5 minute, 50mph sprint to finish my day. However I am going to take a pas
go slowly until its at temp then slide smoothly forward until on plane and back down to cruise. theres no need to slam it or do it excessively slowly either. everything in moderation. be sure to do 5 min of WOT 5800rpm end of the day though.
There are actually some really good mechanical reasons for going for a high power jaunt back to the dock, specifically in 4 stroke engines because of the wet oil sump and crankcase configuration . My Verado owners manual recommends something similar especially in instances where prolonged idling or trolling on the main(s) has occurred. The reason behind it, is to aid in decarbonizing, burn off any moisture accrued during operation and most importantly ............fuel in the oil! The 180F oil temperature can be difficult to maintain with our cold seawater. In my particular situation boost also helps seal the rings so having the lever up can be a very good thing, according to the owners/operators manual.

I would recommend gunning it after your out the dock and you warm it up. Get it on plane. Then you cruise and highly recommend cruising. a lot of optimax crowd say to run them full out and I wouldnt be suprised if it made any difference. You will use up a lot of oil going throttle down as well it. Goes from 400:1 oil and the Manual says 44:1 at wot but its more than that more like 30:1.

This is exactly why I would never buy an inboard used as they spend most of their life over 5000rpm. but having owned the optimax I believe it when they say you can run the wot and it wont hurt them but its infact better for them. Just its gona run you like $120-150 worth of oil lol

I would recommend gunning it after your out the dock and you warm it up. Get it on plane. Then you cruise and highly recommend cruising. a lot of optimax crowd say to run them full out and I wouldnt be suprised if it made any difference. You will use up a lot of oil going throttle down as well it. Goes from 400:1 oil and the Manual says 44:1 at wot but its more than that more like 30:1.

This is exactly why I would never buy an inboard used as they spend most of their life over 5000rpm. but having owned the optimax I believe it when they say you can run the wot and it wont hurt them but its infact better for them. Just its gona run you like $120-150 worth of oil lol
What inboard is spending its life over 5000rpm?

My inboard, a 4.3L V6 would not even get to 5,000rpm when running on plane. I run it at 3200-3500, it may top out at 4,000rpm. Inboards might be ok for you now ;)

What inboard is spending its life over 5000rpm?
I am always a skeptic as weather proper maintenance has been done. with in boards you have to change the manifolds reach around with a hose to drain the engine oil. Seen a lot of boats new engine or rebuilt. even had one guy try to sell me a bad one in a sea ray. Proper maintenance sure but I just would be willing to trust an ob over and inboard for that very reason

Back