Spear fisherman catches… himself

Sushihunter

http://www.champions365.com/blog/view/id/332

Spear fisherman catches… himself
Posted 2009-01-12 10:43:56

797.jpg

Aussie spear fisherman Greg Robertson is recovering in hospital after a freak accident in which he speared himself in the groin with a speargun. Yep, that bit made me cross my legs too.

Robertson was pushed onto the speargun after it was washed out of his hands by a wave. The two metre long spear “pierced his inside upper thigh, just millimetres from his genitals and femoral artery, and lodged several centimetres under the skin.”

It was his first time spear fishing. And his last, no doubt.

The drama unfolded off the rocks at Point Perry about 3.30pm when the 25 year old was pushed onto the speargun, which had been washed out of his hands by a wave.

The two metre long spear pierced his inside upper thigh, just millimetres from his genitals and femoral artery, and lodged several centimetres under the skin.

The first time spear fisherman had been enjoying a day at the beach with his girlfriend Jacinta Fisher and mates Casey Jensen and her fiance, who unscrewed the spear from the gun when the accident happened.

It remained lodged in place and sticking out from his body as paramedics gave pain relief and packed around the wound.

"A big wave knocked him into the rocks, he lost his spear and the spear rebounded off one of the rocks and got him right near the groin," Casey said.

"The spear's barbed on the end, so it's locked in there. He got up and said 'It's in me, it's in me!

"He's ok now. He's still conscious and talking.

The Energex Community Rescue Helicopter dropped off two crew on the nearby rocks and then performed a winch rescue in front of hundreds of onlookers who had gathered for the spectacle.

Those who had stationed themselves right on the Point Perry lookout tower had the best view, as the chopper hovered right at their eyeline for the winch.

"The challenge for the crew was how to remove the two metre long spear to something that was manageable," Energex crew member Dan King said.

"They stabilised the bit that was lodged in his leg and unscrewed the long pole so there was only six or seven inches sticking out.

"He certainly could have come off a lot worse than he did. Initially he did say that he thought he got washed into another rock, but when the wave drew back he realised, 'Oh dear, there's a big metal thing stuck in my leg'.

"Hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

"And I asked him if he caught any fish and he didn't. But if you are going to have one bump a year, you may as well get it out of the way of the first day of the year."

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Back