WiseBuys colwood forcefully closed?

Big_Shank

image.jpg I just went there to pick up some hooks and things and the lights are all off, it's locked up solid, and has a notice of lock change on the front door. Anyone know what's going on? I hope they aren't closed for good...

Too bad. I shopped there when out in the Western Communities. They seemed to be having trouble getting stock recently, but good and very helpful guys working there.
It's never good for price or selection when the pool gets shallower.

Too bad. I tried to share my spending between my two favourite shops, Wisebuys being one of them.

unfortunately it's very hard for a small business to survive these days...
the mom and pop stores have all succumbed to the on-line/big box mentality.
one day, it will all change again.

A tremendous loss for those on the Westshore, and for the fishing community in general. Those gents offered ready advice on equipment, techniques, and even locations. Taught my family to catch Hali safely in local waters. Hope they land on their feet quickly.

Very sad indeed, liked shopping there even though I never bought anything big. Heard that they were boycotted by some suppliers which didn't help the product selection. But what they did have was good and useful.

The tackle industry is a hard go from what I have heard from various stores and owners. I applaud them for trying. I did not ever make it into their store but from the posts on this forum it sounded like a great store that catered to the local fisherman. I wish them well with whatever happens next....

This is another case of folks looking for the "best buy" online or through other avenues.

Buy local folks. It supports your local economy. It is good to go talk to people face to face and be social about fishing related topics.

Last edited:
Very sad indeed, liked shopping there even though I never bought anything big. Heard that they were boycotted by some suppliers which didn't help the product selection. But what they did have was good and useful.
I heard that as well. I find it very troubling, if true, that an established tackle store was applying pressure on the suppliers to hold back stock.

It's been my experience that wholesalers will sell to anyone who keeps their accounts current-but fall behind and you're toast.

In theory that works, however it's not unheard of for established retailers to try and eliminate new competition that impacts their bottom line, in fact it's just business.

This can be done by undercutting them until they can't compete or by interrupting their supply of stock. Wholesalers are not likely to sacrafice a good customer who traditionally sends a lot of business their way for an upstart competitor.

Can't say this is what happened, but I can say it's not unusual for it to happen.

Hi everyone, it is unfortunate what happened to the crew at Wise Buys, however your Westshore tackle supply hasn't disappeared. We have purchased their remaining inventory and shelving and will be adding to our store on Millstream Rd to offer similar service. I am not suggesting we will be open earlier at this point, but we look forward to hearing from everyone what we can do to continue the support Wise Buys gave to the fishing community in the Westshore.

Hi everyone, it is unfortunate what happened to the crew at Wise Buys, however your Westshore tackle supply hasn't disappeared. We have purchased their remaining inventory and shelving and will be adding to our store on Millstream Rd to offer similar service. I am not suggesting we will be open earlier at this point, but we look forward to hearing from everyone what we can do to continue the support Wise Buys gave to the fishing community in the Westshore.

That's awesome Aaron ( I assume),
You guys going to stock bait too? Carry on with the SVIAC discounts for bait?

We will miss Wisebuys for its unique 3 characteristics. Location, extremely early hours of operation and lots of easy access in and out parking even with a boat in tow, especially very early in the morning when most other businesses were closed. The location right beside McDonald’s on the main route from Victoria to Sooke was perfect for a very short stop to pick up some breakfast junk food, fill up the thermos with coffee and get some bait and additional tackle all in a few minutes and be back on the road to catch the early bite off Sooke.

My guess is this will not be the first west coast sport fishing dependent business to fail or be damaged now that DFO is kowtowing fully to the Lower Fraser in river commercial level fishing interests. A few years ago we had a six month long Chinook fishing season on south VI, now we are down to a few weeks when you can keep a decent one. The latest slot expansion last summer did a lot of damage.

My guess is this will not be the first west coast sport fishing dependent business to fail or be damaged now that DFO is kowtowing fully to the Lower Fraser in river commercial level fishing interests.

Isn't it written somewhere in the constitution that all Canadians should
have equal access to our fisheries ?
In that case it should be against the law to impose a slot restriction
for one user group only.

Back