Winter Springs - To Keep or to Release?

likwit

Hey All

As the last of the coho's run through the straight, winter spring fishing is just around the corner. Truly we are blessed to be able to fish for salmon year round like we can. Living in Victoria, it is so awesome to be able to head out whenever the weather is nice and know that there is a salmon fishery in season all the time.

To my point: I have some concerns about the way the winter spring fishery is approached by us sportsfisherman. I remember hearing reports of people catching 20, 30, 40 or more winters in a day, in search of a few good "keepers". What I guess gets me is people reeling in and then throwing back so many young fish which IMO do not have a good chance at survival after the fact. Obviously if the fish is under the size limit than it has to go back, but i believe there are alot of fish that are legal, but because they are only 3 or 4 pounds they get sent back.

To me the winter fishery shouldn't be about size. Sure we all want to catch a nice 12 pound winter, but guys, we should all be happy to get 2 keepers and go home. I seriously think that the year round pressure being applied has a significant impact on the local fishery... i don't think its a coincidence that over the last two years the fishery is really good in december, good in january, ok in february, and so on. These are not migratory fish, but 'our own'.

This winter, I am asking that people at least consider this notion as they wade through fish trying to get one big enough ( i know i sound like a wildlide conservation commercial! ;)). I am not trying to step on anyones toes, and i am certainly not exempt from doing similar stuff in the past, but one has to start somewhere. I think we can make a difference (wildlife commerical again).

Any Comments?

I made my first trip to Becher bay last winter to try the fishery
and was amazed at the number of 3-4lb springs there were.
My winter fishing is usually done along the Victoria waterfront,
and while you get the odd undersize fish, most are in the 6-12 lb range.
With the odd big boy up to 20lbs.
I agree that wading through shaker's to get a decent fish
is not the greatest idea.

I made my first trip to Becher bay last winter to try the fishery
and was amazed at the number of 3-4lb springs there were.
My winter fishing is usually done along the Victoria waterfront,
and while you get the odd undersize fish, most are in the 6-12 lb range.
With the odd big boy up to 20lbs.
I agree that wading through shaker's to get a decent fish
is not the greatest idea.

Likwit
I'm thinking along those lines, right now I have a deep freeze full of salmon from the summer, although it would be fun to go out for some winters, I'm just going to eat what I've got right now, and when I'm out I'll go try to get more, I'll probably just be prawning and crabbing this winter,

Likwit
I'm thinking along those lines, right now I have a deep freeze full of salmon from the summer, although it would be fun to go out for some winters, I'm just going to eat what I've got right now, and when I'm out I'll go try to get more, I'll probably just be prawning and crabbing this winter,

well mortality on those small chinooks is anywhere from 12-35% depending on which study you read.

That's 3-10 dead fish on a 30 fish day, not including the actual keepers. Its not for me, but if your conscious is ok with it then its totally legal.

well mortality on those small chinooks is anywhere from 12-35% depending on which study you read.

That's 3-10 dead fish on a 30 fish day, not including the actual keepers. Its not for me, but if your conscious is ok with it then its totally legal.

I've also given this matter some thought. If someone is willing to freeze their nuts off to catch a couple of fish I won't knock them.Lets look at the big picture and the people that are doing the most damage to the stocks. How many people winter fish besides a few guides ?

I've also given this matter some thought. If someone is willing to freeze their nuts off to catch a couple of fish I won't knock them.Lets look at the big picture and the people that are doing the most damage to the stocks. How many people winter fish besides a few guides ?

Winter fishing isnt all done in winter like conditions sure its cold but most people just get a little chilled.I winter fish off the waterfront and find it to be way better fishing then in the summer.

Winter fishing isnt all done in winter like conditions sure its cold but most people just get a little chilled.I winter fish off the waterfront and find it to be way better fishing then in the summer.

I agree with respecting the winter fishery, although, I wonder about the salmon fishery in the context that most of the fishing pressure occurs when it's late in the summer targeting mature salmon who have survived almost to the point of spawning.

I agree with respecting the winter fishery, although, I wonder about the salmon fishery in the context that most of the fishing pressure occurs when it's late in the summer targeting mature salmon who have survived almost to the point of spawning.

This topic will always incite lots of debate.
Im glad its been brought up, for it lets everyone throw in their 'holier than thou' attitudes.
It's funny because there's never any mention of all the Sockeye, or wild Coho that we have to throw back every year, just to keep the ones we're allowed.
Fisheries also see's an absolutley miniscule amount of Chinook return to spawn then what leaves the river. Therefore maybe it does make sense not to target late season adult fish that have survived the dangers of 4-5 years at sea only to become trophy fish only a month away from spwning.
Nor is there any mention of the 'REAL' problems endangering our fish stocks.
-Storm water runoff damaging sesitive fish spawning/rearing creeks
-Poor logging practices in steep slope watersheds wiping out fish spawing habitat
-Hydro electric dams interupting the flow of natural fish watercourses
-Poor DFO management practices (and of course cuts in funding)
Here's a great example from 2006 http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/03/10/bc_salmon20060310.html
-Sporties and guides are also still being caught using barbed hooks
So we might aswell all stop fishing now and start lobbying our government to make some changes to how we deal with Salmon/Trout conservation.
Or we could each just do our own part, to help, to educate, and to conserve when we feel we can and see what the future holds.
I've worked on a fisheries restoration project for the last 6 years, I've abided by DFO's STUPID catch and release policies and I've never abused the annual Chinook limit on my license
BUT
Yes i've had 30-40 fish winter spring days. I can probably only count those days on 1 hand. And in the whole scheme of things i personally dont feel bad about it.
I'll keep doing what i feel is right for me.

This topic will always incite lots of debate.
Im glad its been brought up, for it lets everyone throw in their 'holier than thou' attitudes.
It's funny because there's never any mention of all the Sockeye, or wild Coho that we have to throw back every year, just to keep the ones we're allowed.
Fisheries also see's an absolutley miniscule amount of Chinook return to spawn then what leaves the river. Therefore maybe it does make sense not to target late season adult fish that have survived the dangers of 4-5 years at sea only to become trophy fish only a month away from spwning.
Nor is there any mention of the 'REAL' problems endangering our fish stocks.
-Storm water runoff damaging sesitive fish spawning/rearing creeks
-Poor logging practices in steep slope watersheds wiping out fish spawing habitat
-Hydro electric dams interupting the flow of natural fish watercourses
-Poor DFO management practices (and of course cuts in funding)
Here's a great example from 2006 http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/03/10/bc_salmon20060310.html
-Sporties and guides are also still being caught using barbed hooks
So we might aswell all stop fishing now and start lobbying our government to make some changes to how we deal with Salmon/Trout conservation.
Or we could each just do our own part, to help, to educate, and to conserve when we feel we can and see what the future holds.
I've worked on a fisheries restoration project for the last 6 years, I've abided by DFO's STUPID catch and release policies and I've never abused the annual Chinook limit on my license
BUT
Yes i've had 30-40 fish winter spring days. I can probably only count those days on 1 hand. And in the whole scheme of things i personally dont feel bad about it.
I'll keep doing what i feel is right for me.

Sorry Likwit, but I have to disagree with you on the migratory part. Many of the feeder springs we get around here are American fish from Puget Sound. This area around here is their "rearing ground", just like the Cowichan River fish rear around Campbell River. Our winter fishery is fantastic due to the high hatchery output from them. I have the pin information to prove it.

Sorry Likwit, but I have to disagree with you on the migratory part. Many of the feeder springs we get around here are American fish from Puget Sound. This area around here is their "rearing ground", just like the Cowichan River fish rear around Campbell River. Our winter fishery is fantastic due to the high hatchery output from them. I have the pin information to prove it.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

From what I would see on the commercail boat I would have to say that would be a percentage geared a little more towards coho survival rates..... those feeder springs are incredibly tough and would have to be soaking unnoticed for a while to have some harm done

Back