winter springs in Nanaimo?

albernifisher

Got a little bit of cabin fever,any winter springs off Nanaimo? Boat is in the driveway calling my name and I don't feel like dragging it up to Port Alberni untill the poets nook derby

Hit and miss at the moment, there have been some caught for sure tho. In between neck and the fingers and north towards rocky point, and icarus

Cabin fever here too...with this nice weather coming might get time to start building my new hard top to replace the Bimini the f'n snow destroyed before Christmas...should be some winters around somewhere.

I run small spoons. One side with a flasher and one just a spoon. I run the gear just off the bottom. Good Luck

I agree with fishing just off the bottom. I always use a white hootchie with a black or green stripe (sometimes a bit of orange mixed in) on at least one side when I fish out front. Doesn't matter what time of year. It's been my most productive local lure.
Dave

Irish Cream spoon, on the bottom..
Even a green "Apex" Hotspot green/clear no flasher..
Small Tomic's with a Purple stripe can produce decent...

Coyote's
The Trapper
Army truck spoon and Hootchie is great in the winter..
Purple Haze Hootchie

Purple / Glow Hotspot Flashers

I like to pick the speed up 2.0-2.5 and scrape the bottom

And we usually fish, the Gabriola shore line, Halfway down and towards the Flat Tops / Grande area... 130-180ft..
Good Prawning this time of year too... Totally worth it..

Did anyone make it out today?

We're going to give it a whirl tomorrow. The weather is outstanding!

Thanks for all the lure suggestions. Just getting stuff ready now.

boats all ready to go, leaving the house around the crack of 10. Me,my wife and four 11 year old girls...should be interesting

Did anyone make it out today?

We're going to give it a whirl tomorrow. The weather is outstanding!

Thanks for all the lure suggestions. Just getting stuff ready now.

Hey John, I'm going to be out there with a buddy tomorrow, maiden voyage for his new boat. We were thinking of trying Gabriola. Where will you guys be?

Hey John, I'm going to be out there with a buddy tomorrow, maiden voyage for his new boat. We were thinking of trying Gabriola. Where will you guys be?

Not sure yet. Either over there or Neck Pt. area. What kind of boat are you in? I'll keep an eye out for you.

nothing for us,fished between the fingers and neck point.Saw one small bait ball and marked a few fish,just as we were leaving the boat behind us pick one up.Damn cold out there but on the plus side I found a forgetten 40pounder of rye in the boat

Beauty day on the water. Found a few bugs to work out and other maintenance issues. That's what I like about winter time and early spring trips. Get all the little things out of the way and ready for summer.

No salmon for us. One little sole who went back home. 5 keeper dungees though which will make for a nice dinner.

I heard about the one caught 1/2 hour after we left. It was the HC guys Kevin and Steve. Nicely done fella's. Nice find there Gary!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back