Winter shopping list

JustFishing

Hey all,

I haven’t been posting on the forum for a few years now even though I’ve been checking it out here and there every once in a while.

Anyways this last summer I upgraded to a 206 double eagle hardtop from my 15.5 Hourston. I spent a few days on her from July to September and took her out for 1 trip to renfrew.

The boat came with very basic equipment and I’m looking to upgrade electronics , get trimtabs installed and possibly do a roof mounted rocket launcher setup. I was hopeing to plan this strategically in the offseason to get good deals on everything . The plan for now is a 3G radar setup with display unit , the 9x12 electric trimtabs . Does anyone have any other suggestions ? For the rocket launchers I’m in sooke and would appreciate some recommendations as well

Thanks

One thing I did on my Striper was buy 2 SS rod holders that were rail mounted. I put one on each side close to the cockpit and liked it for holding the net and a gaff or boat hook for traps on the other side. An easy addition for less than $200.00 that got a lot of use. You can never have too many rod holders even once you build a roof mounted rocket launcher set . Nice ride!

Congrats, that’s a wicked boat!

Sounds like you’re on the right track. Go for high quality stuff. I cut some corners on electronics and now I’m already looking to upgrade and I’m out money for it. Lowrance radar and HDS 12 gen 3 will suit that boat nicely. @ReelSlim is right about the rocket launchers. They are functional and they look cool too! Just watch the height you put them at,
You want to be able to reach them all

Reelslim, I agree. I did buy one of those rail mounted ones for the net and will probably add one to the other side.

Stizzla, For electronics I was looking at this combo, seems ok for the price although I think I would prefer the lowrance.
271D394C-D58E-4F96-B65E-4883D7CD4177.png
-JF

I was in HC on Friday and had a good chat with them about electronics. They are having their Black Friday sale in a few weeks. It sounds like the Lowrance HDS 12 is going to be a pretty good deal...imo. But that is a lot of the bases covered in one package that you posted.

I am going to wait and watch the flyer for Black Friday . Hopefully get a good deal on transducer , display and radar. I think the HDS 12 with radar would be over 5k regular price.

I would get one of the local welding shops to weld you up a stainless arch for all your rods, net and future electronics.

If you dont have highpower scotty downriggers. Get them. Best addition to my boat last season. Will never go back lol.

Pro Fisher I was on the fence with mounting the radar right up to the hardtop vs on an arch . Might be better long term to mount it to the arch . Do you have any recommendations for welding shops in town here ?

Big reel, I have the 2106 and they are awesome as long as you have a spare counter with you, they seem to quit at the worst time.

Thanks,
-JF

I sold an identical boat to yours in June this year.I don't think there was room for a 12" screen near the dash.It's actually cheaper to go with 2- 7" screens if that fits better and can be handy if you want to run radar,charts and sounder at the same time.I would recommend the Simrad EVO2 or the new Evo3 and have your radar overlay the chart,I had that setup and it was great.Harbour Chandler can set it up for you,should be a lot less than a 12" screen.The electric trim tabs are good,a must have with that boat."Strait Metal" in Sidney does nice stainless work,but it won't be cheap.

Also not too familiar with the cuddy arrangement in the DE but I'm assuming it is similar to my old Striper. If so this was an upgrade I did adding 8 tackle storage bins to the space under the seats that was just wasted space. Other than adding a head it was probably my most useful upgrade that I made.

Attachments

• Holder.JPG
    Holder.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Tackle.JPG
    Tackle.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 113
  • View.JPG
    View.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Rayvon, I saw the pictures of the boat you sold . Looked like a beauty really well equipped . The dash area probably wouldn’t fit a HDS 12 but maybe a 9. I will look into having two 7 inch screen now that you mention it, it would probably be better than doing split screen.

The cuddy on the double eagle is similar in size but does not have that type of storage below the seats . Those storage boxes look great. I think the only thing I’m going to do in the cuddy is put overhead rod storage holders to keep them out of the way .

-JF

Awesome boat choice - love the DE's in that configuration. Consider a through hull transducer and the 4G radar from Simrad. Also a washdown pump if you don't one already. I also just added an EPIRB to my boat. Enjoy the shopping.

Last edited:
With some of the SIMARD plotters you can also add a module and run music through Bluetooth so consider speakers and the sound module. We really enjoyed this when fishing last summer - just used Spotify downloaded playlists and had lots of choices all day.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think A wash down pump would be a good addition. Is the 4G radar really worth the extra ponies over the 3G? I defenately wouldn’t be using radar often mostly just for the foggy days when I’m on WCVI.

Any one have any retailer advice for trim tabs and switch online? looking at the Bennett 1212 bolt tabs and want to make sure i get the best deal.

Any one have any retailer advice for trim tabs and switch online? looking at the Bennett 1212 bolt tabs and want to make sure i get the best deal.

Call around to a bunch of shops. I just picked up a set of bennets this week. Some shops wanted $1150 others $950.

I ended up getting them at the 5th place I called for $815... with the boat show around the corner there’s deals to be had!

i found a dealer on Ebay and the 1212 Bolt's with led indicator switch came to 983$ after shipping and duties... Does that sound like a good price? Some Canadian retailers want 400-500 for the switch alone.

Not familiar with the bolts as I went with hydrolic.

I would call independent marine in parksville and then the harbour chandler and ask them for there pricing. I believe most places will ship as well.

Back