Winter Project: 14' Skiff

nedarb2

So after selling the big boat in the fall to replace with a smaller boat, priorities changed quickly once a house was put on the table for myself.
So rather than go boat-less, i picked up a small skiff from family friends to play with over the winter and get me onto the water.

Here she is on day 1:
day 1 - inside.jpgday 1 - interior.jpgday 1 - logo.JPGday 1 - motor.jpgday 1.jpg

The intentions: To build an economical, quality fishing boat to last me 1-2 seasons until i can again upgrade. Also to rebuild/restore the boat and learn whats involved with that.

The Build Plan:
1. Clean out the boat
2. Remove motor
3. Replace interior of boat. needs a new floor, and i think a transom. *Looking for interior layout ideas!*
4. Do spray-in bedliner for the interior.
5. Flip boat over and re-furbish the outside of the hull. (including new paint)
6. Go over the trailer when the boats off it, as you can see its a little small so i dont know if i can move the winch stand up right almost to the ball and get away with it and extend the bunks or sell and replace with a larger one all together.
7. install toys/electronics/name/go fish!

Interior Ideas:

I want the interior to be well layed out for fishing and comfort. My ideas so far are along these lines:

1. Install 2 boxes at the rear that flip open for storage. On the starboard box, i would mount my seat.
2. Enclose the bow area for storage. Either the first 3 feet for only storage, or the first 5 or so and have barely enough room to squeeze inside if a small friend wants to get the fetal position. OR enclose the bow for storage and then also build 2 boxes and put 2 seats on these ( similar to rear boxes).
3. Rather than install 2 seats towards the front of the boat, build a marine cooler into the floor ( in the center of the floor have a 6" well to drop a marine cooler into) and use that for the seat.

any other neat ideas to play with?? first pic is enclosed bow. 2nd pic is showing the type of boxes i would want at the stern for me. third is obviously the cooler(s) i would build the floor around.
DSC_0948.jpggfdgzdfg.jpgSlide11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
#3 looks the most practical and you would tend to have that bigger boat room.

#3 I think looks like a winner to me. Just add a swivel in the rear on one side and all the electronics on the other side. Good luck on your boat reno.

I had a 15' Skiff built at Silverstreak in Sooke a few years ago. I had to decide on a few layout options at the time of the build as well. If you go to their "Open" section on their website they have sveral pictures of possible layouts for tiller style boats. And 'NO' I don't work there! lol I just thought some of the pictures might spark a few possible ideas? Looks like a fun project......good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back