Winter Harbour 2010

No worrys C.S. I heard that comment before:D Ice machine is hit with the harbour, finally nice to have it locally available.

thanks for the info c.s. i definately tried some deeper stuff this year and had some success. that was us in the loud jets. i was running the blue one and my buddy had the white one. oh by the way prawning was hillarious. seeing my buddies pull traps by hand all week was awesome! we even managed to fool 3 prawns:D:D:D one for each guy in the boat!!!!:D:D:D

Fished 25th and 26th,

Hali were tough but we got all our chickens both days. Easy springs off Lippy in 200-220 with 180 feet of wire on the 25th green label herring in pro troll roto heads and dummy flashers). Took too long to get the Hali on the 26th. Too rough to troll productively when we tried. Found a few coho and kings on the inside at Kains, but nothing to brag about, kinda boring trolling around in the calm after fishing those days outside.

Lots of folks complaining about the wind on the radio, guess I'll chime in and say it was tough. Here's wishing for better weather later this week. For those that noticed sorry about coming into the harbour a bit fast.

Jody

[img=left]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/12747/thumb_xDSC01379.JPG[/img=left]

I don't give up easy especially when I know there are fish there if I can get to them!!! Heading up to WH on Aug 1-4- white and green 24' Orca- ch 6 Spring Fevers the handle-should be at Kain Island by 3 pm give me a call or stop by-we'll exchange info-usually hooked up at Brownings inlet.

Fished kains and cliff on 23-25, had nice springs at cliff all days, running baitrix anchovies in 30ft of water right tight to the kelp bed off the little sandy beach, had to fight thru lots of small lings, but the springs made up for it, biggest was 38lbs

Going to WH on the 31st to the 2nd or 3rd. This will be our first go at WH. We have fished Nootka, Tofino and Bamfield a fair amount but new to WH. Looking for information on good spots to drop the anchor or tie up for the night.

24 Skagit Orca ... name Blackfish

Thanks for the info Phanapa- my favorite spot when they are there. Gives me an out if the wind is howling. Heading up on the first.

How did your trip go spring fever, going to head up on the Aug 6 , hows the hali's this time of year?[8D]

Fished Aug. 1 and 2. We got all our springs and lings, 1/2 our coho and Hali all outside in 2-300 feet. Biggest spring was actualy on a pipe jig while pounding for hali.

Thanks for a great year to all you folks sharing info with me here and in town. Been here a month and had a great time. Headed home soon.

Jody

[img=left]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/12747/thumb_xDSC01379.JPG[/img=left]

Just got back from fishing WH aug 1-4- good news and bad news. The highway was slow- off lippy in 200 -220 feet of water was fairly productive using anchovy with a green head 160 to 180 '. There were some coho there particularly early in the morning-all the usual suspects worked if they were around- The good news is that on the tues morning flood tide the harbour approaches all the way across to the Rowley reefs were red hot for Springs-anchovy worked for me 70 feet down I was looking for Coho and finally called it quits after releasing 3 springs to 20lbs within 20 mins. Yes the water was rough mon and tues-it was fishable if you had a good boat. 3 guys limited on springs to 28lbs released 4 or 5 nice ones and wound up 4 coho short. Cliffe point seemed dead but I would think it could hot-up in a day or so. Saw guys fishing the pinnicles off grants for halis and also the 340 mark straight out off Grants. Heard some pretty happy chatter regarding hali's. Behind Kains was slow. That's it for this trip-Tight lines and smooth waters.

Thanks for the update spring fever, I would liked to get a couple of Hali's this trip. Since I have named my boat Halilogger, I've been cursed. The guys with me have caught a few but I have yet to.
Is there a night bite? gonna go up this afternoon, what do you think Cain's or Cliff.[:eek:)]

quote:Originally posted by Halilogger

Thanks for the update spring fever, I would liked to get a couple of Hali's this trip. Since I have named my boat Halilogger, I've been cursed. The guys with me have caught a few but I have yet to.
Is there a night bite? gonna go up this afternoon, what do you think Cain's or Cliff.[:eek:)]

Halilogger: Try trolling slow with a big herring or strip bait off your DRs along the 120-130 contour east of Kains, banging your downrigger balls on the bottom. This area is always good for a few halis, often some really nice ones if the coho or pinks are thick in the area. Got one there last Friday in less than ten minutes trolling. I use the same technique out on the highway when it is too rough to stop and jig em, you can cover a lot of ground drifting and bangin the bottom with the DR balls, and then fight them on a lighter rod w/o 2 lbs of weight.

May want to correct the typing error of 5lbs to 2 lbs? Good advice about trolling for Halis, but another spot I would also try is trolling out from Grant bay, starting at about 100' to 200'?? ... BB

If I have caught you before you go-definetly off the tip of Kains towards lawn point or Rowley reefs. I'm sure there are springs at Cliffe point late particularly off the sand beach close to the light -tight to the kelp and down the far south end-70/90 feet of wire in 120-140 feet of water-late evening early morning but based on what I saw Tues. my bet would be harbour approaches this evening-depending on what happend tonight I would go there again or up to Lippy in 200-220 ft 160-180 ft wire.

Great trip!
We wanted to get Hali's and got 3,22lbs 27lbs 33lbs, in doing so we missed out on the good fishing for Springs but that's okay. 4 springs 22lbs was the biggest, limit on snapper 1 Lingcod but once again didn't fish them I still have lots in the freezer from the last trip, and I hate to see fish get thrown out.
Coho were every where CRAZY!! caught a 14lbs off of Kains this fish went Bazerk 3 jumps on the surface when it hit 30' off the starboard side raced right across the back ( 35mph ) 40' off the port side jumped twice then raced back across, underneath the middle of my boat ( 40mph )30' feet back out the starboard had to dive my rod under water and under my motors weeve it around the down rigger line. I was then able to net him 3 mins later, had only a 5" spoon no flasher what a rush, entertained a few other boats in the process as well.
Great trip!! thanks for some local knowledge guys, didn't get your post in time springfever, we had to work hard for those 3 hali's off of Grants. would like tried were you said next time. Thanks

Hey Halilogger.

Glad to hear you got your Hali you were after. Nice to meet you and the family last week. I hope your wife is starting to get a little better after her mishap. Sorry I kept missing you in camp, teenagers aren't the easiest to get out of bed early in the AM. My son was happy as he caught a 35 pound Hali while we were trolling after you left camp.

Good to meet you, and I hope to see you again sometime on the Island.

Sounds like you had a good time, thanks for the info I usually log anything that is surprizing for the date so that in future years while not guaranteeing anything it is a good place to start. If you like that coho action sometime after the 15th you should try off of the Mahatta river over into Koprina harbour and as the month progresses into sept they will be up in the basin in front of the narrows and then the other side of the narrows until we have some prolonged rains. Congrats on the Hali's

Back