Winter fishing in smaller boat

Koho2catch

Hey guys been reading this site (which is pretty awesome)for awhile and decided to post something that I am hoping to get some of your vertern perspectives on . I have a smaller welded aluminum that I have fished mostly west van isl and lots here (local van, fraser, lakes) during summer. I finally have time to start up now earlier in the season and wanted some safety advice. I would mostly be in the sound/harbour fishing only good wind days but being in a smaller boat during the cold temps should I get some mustang immersion gear? With a little family at home my perspective on personal safety has changed quite a bit. And any other safety tips are much appreciated.

I like a mustang cruiser suit in the wintet, not sure you need an immersion suit. I plan to never ever get wet while out fishing. Common sense, environmental knowledge and full safety gear and you will be fine. I think my portable, waterproof floating VHS radio is the most important piece of safety gear I have other than a off. I fish out of a 14 ft Lund all around South Vancouver Island. If is all apersonal choice. Good luck if you do get out.

I fish out of a kayak so Cap'n N Crew wear wet-suits past the harbor mouth. :)
Mind you we are slower getting back inside when the weather changes than you will be. :(

In a small boat keep your eye's peeled at all times at the changing water, the harbour and sound can produce some of the
worst waters, coast guard has said the water going out under the lions gate is one of the strongest currents around, it flips
boats, pretty amazing to see how large the waves peak, on a really low out going tide with a westerly perfect recipe for some
TSUNAMI waves.

Cell phone in the pocket just incase you fall over when fishing solo and your boat is gonna go catch fish without you *16 is Coast Guard
on the cell

Hand held in my bib

Mustang suites are way to hot above 0 degrees, sweat your chops off, if i'm going far i'll keep it on the boat just incase something
go's wrong, hit by weather change or get stuck in a white knuckling Northerly gale force out flow wind that is trying to lift your
boat aka the THE DUST DEVIL IT'S POWERFULL!!!! in Howe Sound

I put 2 bilge pumps on my boat 2200 and a 1200 GPH because i take chance and making sure i have some good back up.

most accurate wind report i go with for the harbour is ..... http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=1

Watch that guy with the new BIG!! boat throwing his wake around ;):eek: slow down!!! chicken!

Last edited:
In a small boat keep your eye's peeled at all times at the changing water, the harbour and sound can produce some of the
worst waters, coast guard has said the water going out under the lions gate is one of the strongest currents around, it flips
boats, pretty amazing to see how large the waves peak, on a really low out going tide with a westerly perfect recipe for some
TSUNAMI waves

I have a 26 footer....heading east with a following westerly and good sized swell and an outgoing tide.

Ugly. One of the scariest 5 mins of boating I’ve experienced.

I carry a waterproof, floating vhf. Your phone and on board vhf won’t do much if you end up in the water. It happens very fast.

I have one of the cobras. Bought from Harbour Chandler. Cheap considering what it provides.

https://www.harbourchandler.ca/product-category/electronics-and-navigation/vhf-ais/vhf-handhelds/

I'm in the same boat as you and you can fish year round no problem. No such this as bad weather, just bad preparation, so layer up. Long johns, pants, bibs on the bottom. Long johns, shirt, sweatshirt, jacket on top. I also wear a neck gaiter & toque. It's always cold running out, but it's nice to just take off a layer if you're too hot. Cotton sucks so stick with synthetics. I've used mustang floater jackets & bibs, but I'll only use the bibs on cold winter days. No need for an immersion suit. Other things that help is a thermos of hot coffee/tea, hand warmers. It's not really any more different than fishing in the summer. Same level of attentiveness, preparation, etc.

I'm in the same boat as you and you can fish year round no problem. No such this as bad weather, just bad preparation, so layer up. Long johns, pants, bibs on the bottom. Long johns, shirt, sweatshirt, jacket on top. I also wear a neck gaiter & toque. It's always cold running out, but it's nice to just take off a layer if you're too hot. Cotton sucks so stick with synthetics. I've used mustang floater jackets & bibs, but I'll only use the bibs on cold winter days. No need for an immersion suit. Other things that help is a thermos of hot coffee/tea, hand warmers. It's not really any more different than fishing in the summer. Same level of attentiveness, preparation, etc.
I just learned about the hand warmers. Total game changer. Shake em, drop them in your jacket pockets and they stay warm for many hours!
31E9F888-7F2A-4326-8ACB-EC8CED408F0D.jpeg

Wow thanks for all the replies, I have a hand held VHF and supposedly water proof phone haha, I think I will just get a floater coat then and a back up bilge which is a great idea!! Totally agree that these waters do blow up, had a crazy day last August that came out of nowhere. Those hand warmers look like a great idea especially for steelheading. Thanks again and will post any reports from days I venture out.

Try these Zippo Hand Warmers they use lighter fluid and create catalytic heat. I use them for Steelhead season and have tucked one in my jacket before during cold boating days. Very simple to use and easy to refill.

Priced around $40 at Mountain Equipment Coop but you can find them on eBay and other online retailers for around $20 USD

232C9415-A371-4259-A110-5EF21119E770.png

I have a 16’ welded boat and like has been said above, pick your weather and BE PREPARED. I grew up salmon fishing out of small aluminums and they are great if you respect the ocean. I am slightly smarter than i was when I was younger, and more financially able to afford a safer/ reliable boat but there is no excuse for going out in poor weather or without the proper safety gear or a boat that is unreliable. In my opinion larger boats are over rated unless you want to go offshore ,want the comforts or need to impress clients. Look at most boats that fish lodges run they are smaller welded boats or whalers that are efficient and open for fishing. Doesn’t really matter the size of the boat you can only effectively fish 2 riggers/ rods at a time.

That vhf is your lifeline. Know where you are at all times and know how to use your radio. Obviously, you cant go wrong being warm, dry and comfortable but when all that fails and you need help your vhf may save your life.... or epirb or cell phone. Once those bases are covered it's all about having fun! I love winter fishing! Fewer people around and so many beautiful, high pressure, blue bird days! Good luck out there!
Pastafarian

I have a 17.5 mirage viking. My boat has a cuddy . Semi deep v and a bimini top that's it. When I winter fish, Im basically wearing my snowboarding stuff. Goggles too. It can be cold but a little buddy heater helps and a large thermos of coffee. Some of the calmest days are in the winter. No nw winds. Have fun and layer up.
Oh ya I have a handheld vhf as well.
One thing I need is a manual or auto pfd.
Chris

I fished out of my Lund ssv-14 for years before I got 10 foot-itis a few years back. I went everywhere with that thing, around Victoria, off Sooke, clayoquot sound, broughtons, etc... That boat caught many times it's weight in salmon and halibut. But safety was always top of mind. I had shorter 24 inch downrigger booms so that if one got hung up it would not flip the boat. They got tangled more because they were closer together but I always made it home safely. I had a floating handheld standard horizon vhf, a spot satellite beacon in my pocket all the time and of course all the flares and other things too. I bought a mustang integrity HX suit right at the start that I wore all the time even in summer. The water temp in jdf strait is basically the same summer or winter. I got really good at reading weather charts and wind maps and never had any problems. Basically I lived by the rule know your boat's limit and play within it. Man I miss that fuel economy.....

I have a 17.5 mirage viking. My boat has a cuddy . Semi deep v and a bimini top that's it. When I winter fish, Im basically wearing my snowboarding stuff. Goggles too. It can be cold but a little buddy heater helps and a large thermos of coffee. Some of the calmest days are in the winter. No nw winds. Have fun and layer up.
Oh ya I have a handheld vhf as well.
One thing I need is a manual or auto pfd.
Chris

Great reply. Winter has some of the calmest seas for salmon fishing. No booze on my boat during the winter fishing days. Just the hand warmer and more layers. A fellow showed me how to use the warm water from the engine's pee hole to wash your hand. I haven't figured that out on my new boat but when you have that, you don't need to worry about cleaning your hands after touching crabs/fish/bait/etc.

Just enjoy the peaceful winter fishery while it lasts. No one knows what DFO has in plans for our spring and summer fishing.:confused:

Back