Wild salmon council calls for immediate actions to increase B.C. stocks

Awesome, remember that the Province was responsible for Steelhead. Look at how that went.

One wonders what behind the scenes discussions transpire between the various players on the provincial fisheries front. Short days after the much publicized shot across the fed's bow by the province's Deputy Minister of the Environment (Mark Zacharias) over DFO spin doctoring of the scientists' recommendation for conservation of Interior Fraser Steelhead we have the Premier, his Minister of Agriculture and the minority Green Party's MLA Olsen at the podium. DM Zacharias who boldly and justifiably took the feds to task and that other Minister, Doug Donaldson, who owns the steelhead portfolio were nowhere to be seen.

And, what were the podium owners announcing? The same old same old - we'll throw money at fixing the unfixable and engage community groups to crank up hatchery production to "save" endangered stocks like Thompson steelhead. Nary a word about the most obvious and immediate conservation measure that could and should be taken - start managing the harvest of fish by all user groups with non-lethal means that will actually achieve conservation and rebuilding objectives.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know what Premier Horgan and Minister Popham had to say about DM Zacharias' entirely legitimate blast on behalf of a resource Minister Donaldson is on record (multiple times) as claiming responsibility for.

Bob Hooton

Wow BC wildlife federation not even in support of a selective cull.

https://biv.com/article/2019/03/wild-salmon-plan-panned-conservation-groups

"BC Wildlife Federation is concerned that, if the government adopts recommendations of the Wild Salmon Advisory Council, B.C. may follow Alaska on an over-reliance on hatchery production – something which itself may be one of the problems contributing to decreases of certain wild stock species."

"It also fears that the report appears to support selective culling of seals and sea lions."

Wild salmon plan panned by conservation groups

Wow BC wildlife federation not even in support of a selective cull.

https://biv.com/article/2019/03/wild-salmon-plan-panned-conservation-groups

"BC Wildlife Federation is concerned that, if the government adopts recommendations of the Wild Salmon Advisory Council, B.C. may follow Alaska on an over-reliance on hatchery production – something which itself may be one of the problems contributing to decreases of certain wild stock species."

"It also fears that the report appears to support selective culling of seals and sea lions."

Wild salmon plan panned by conservation groups

What a train wreck! Conservation groups coming up with a wild salmon plan? Total conflict of interest when you consider the amount of US funding controlling the pulse of certain conservation groups in Canada. Its no wonder why Canadian politicians are considering ending this type of funding and I feel that currently it is a good idea.

What a train wreck! Conservation groups coming up with a wild salmon plan? Total conflict of interest when you consider the amount of US funding controlling the pulse of certain conservation groups in Canada. Its no wonder why Canadian politicians are considering ending this type of funding and I feel that currently it is a good idea.

Are you talking about the wild salmon councils? Beacause it was made up mostly of industry nemwbers not ENGO. They’d why most of the ENGOs are upset with the recommendation because they focus on salmon production and they talk about selective harvest of seals.

What surprised me is the BCWF is against these recommendations.

Are you talking about the wild salmon councils? Beacause it was made up mostly of industry nemwbers not ENGO. They’d why most of the ENGOs are upset with the recommendation because they focus on salmon production and they talk about selective harvest of seals.

What surprised me is the BCWF is against these recommendations.

It appears I have to retract my post as incorrect. There are Zero NGO's on the Wild Salmon Council. And NGO's Dont like it...no surprise there.

https://www.watershed-watch.org/201...sory-council-ignores-science-and-communities/

Back