B.C. group calls for halt of pipeline construction to protect salmon

Last edited:
Hate to say it again Province MOE is the problem.

If the province wasn't so cheap it would hire its own technical staff. Stop contracting the responsibility out. These projects don't intend to destroy things purposely.

But they only work if people are doing their jobs. It is the Province responsibility when it comes to these projects.

I believe there are more urgent solutions needed to protect our wild salmon than stopping the Trans Mountain Pipeline, like getting Fish Farms out of the ocean and on dry land for instance.
Personally I am in favor of the Trans Mountain Pipeline and suggest those who are not stop complaining about the high cost of gas.

I am surprised of how uniformed some people are reading this on how the Province and Feds work together. MOE and MOM are leads on project. Also there would be subcontractors doing monitoring not DFO. DFO only gets called an the issue is raised. Also I am pretty sure that same regulation exists as far as fish dieing. I can't remember but there are some parameters that are well defined. It isn't zero. You can blame Harper's government for that one.

DFO statement is 100% correct MOE is the lead:

"The federal agency argued its role is less prominent because it did not issue any permits and noted provincial regulators take the lead on field inspections."

Also telling DFO its armed and should go and confront protesters/do testing is kind of silly in my opinion. Easy for NGO groups to make statement like that.

Last edited:
I thought the ENGO's don't like any type of confrontation with law enforcement ? Although I did enjoy some of the Fairy Creek footage on the news.

I was just looking in the new fisheries act and this is the where it gets grey. Big surprise wording was never changed back:
  • 34.1(1) Before recommending to the Governor in Council that a regulation be made in respect of section 34.4, 35 or 35.1 or under subsection 35.2(10), 36(5) or (5.1), paragraph 43(1)(b.2) or subsection 43(5) or before exercising any power under subsection 34.3(2), (3) or (7), paragraph 34.4(2)(b) or (c), subsection 34.4(4), paragraph 35(2)(b) or (c) or subsection 35(4), 35.1(3), 35.2(7) or 36(5.2), or under subsection 37(2) with regard to an offence under subsection 40(1), the Minister, prescribed person or prescribed entity, as the case may be, shall consider the following factors:
    • (a) the contribution to the productivity of relevant fisheries by the fish or fish habitat that is likely to be affected;
    • (b) fisheries management objectives;
    • (c) whether there are measures and standards
      • (i) to avoid the death of fish or to mitigate the extent of their death or offset their death, or
      • (ii) to avoid, mitigate or offset the harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat;
    • (d) the cumulative effects of the carrying on of the work, undertaking or activity referred to in a recommendation or an exercise of power, in combination with other works, undertakings or activities that have been or are being carried on, on fish and fish habitat;
    • (e) any fish habitat banks, as defined in section 42.01, that may be affected;
    • (f) whether any measures and standards to offset the harmful alteration, disruption or destruction of fish habitat give priority to the restoration of degraded fish habitat;
    • (g) Indigenous knowledge of the Indigenous peoples of Canada that has been provided to the Minister; and
    • (h) any other factor that the Minister considers relevant.

I am surprised of how uniformed some people are reading this on how the Province and Feds work together. MOE and MOM are leads on project. Also there would be subcontractors doing monitoring not DFO. DFO only gets called an the issue is raised. Also I am pretty sure that same regulation exists as far as fish dieing. I can't remember but there are some parameters that are well defined. It isn't zero. You can blame Harper's government for that one.

DFO statement is 100% correct MOE is the lead:

"The federal agency argued its role is less prominent because it did not issue any permits and noted provincial regulators take the lead on field inspections."

Also telling DFO its armed and should go and confront protesters/do testing is kind of silly in my opinion. Easy for NGO groups to make statement like that.

I had a similar take and we shouldn’t assume they were welcome their we all no if DFO showed up would just be another gong show.

Reminds me of this summer when DFO set up a road block out the the Katzie reserve to stop illegal salmon buyers and selling. Talked to the chief before hand and he was all good with it.

By the second day the chief walked out to the road black and started screaming at DFO to leave.

Just another dog and pony show for the media

Back