Who to donate money to - SFI or PSF??

Just an idea. Let the paying derby attendee's decide where they would like to see the donation go. Give them 2 or 3 options, at the end of the derby, determine what % voted for each option, and donate funds to each option based on %.

If I was attending, I'd choose local hatchery.

This will be chosen shortly for sponsorship purposes.

My vote would be BCWF

Maybe someone could look into how much the CEO or named person makes per year at the PSF?
Sure would be interesting to know.

Several years ago a person I knew wanted to donate some money to charities. He looked into many and his main question was how much does the head guy make? Most of them were make 6 figures PLUS and upwards.
He ended up donating to the salvation army where the head guy made 60g a year. I am not sure if this is still the case.

Not saying money should be donated there..only to fishy interests but it would be nice to know where the $$ go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an idea. Let the paying derby attendee's decide where they would like to see the donation go. Give them 2 or 3 options, at the end of the derby, determine what % voted for each option, and donate funds to each option based on %.

If I was attending, I'd choose local hatchery.

Or let the SFAB Main Board decide on which option!!! Sorry, I just could not resist. lol

Sounds like most small hatcheries are getting a few bags of fish food for Xmas from DFO this year..

A gift to the local would be probably more than appreciated... If its lots spread the wealth a bit.

Their work in halibut will also help with Tuna, considering DFO has been tossing around the idea of ITQ's for that fishery next.
Can some one touch on the above statement for me? ITQ again is? For TUNA? You have my attention!!!

It is important to note that some hatcheries are not willing to accept outside funding in order to retain the current funding they are getting. I have seen this before so just make sure that you check with that group far prior to donating. Maybe start the TSFDF with some money lol. TUNA SPORT FISHERS DEFENCE FUND, or maybe OFFENSIVE FUND(TSFOF).

I think it is good to ensure some money stays local. I like Holmes post about kids and family's.

Maybe give money to a stream fertilization research program.

Can some one touch on the above statement for me? ITQ again is? For TUNA? You have my attention!!!

The Department really likes ITQ (Individual Transferable Quota) fisheries and has visions of implementing them for all fisheries including Tuna and Sardine. They have shown this card in recent IFMP's (Integrated fishery mgmt plans) which are available online for every fishery. The outcome of the malcolm trial could dictate the future of ITQ's. Anyhow, with ITQ's, there must be an allocation between sectors, an example is the 88/12 now 85/15 split with halibut. So for tuna and sardine, the dept will look at how much each sector has caught historically (according to their numbers), and allocate accordingly. The problem that the rec sector faces, is that the creel survey has all but shut down after august, and DFO has collected very little information on how many Tuna and Sardine the recreational sector has caught. This would mean that if ITQ's were implemented for the commercial Tuna fleet, the rec sector would be assigned an allocation that does not accurately reflect its current usage. So in the end, as the stocks continue to shrink, the insufficient allocation becomes no longer viable, and the sector faces restrictions in order to stay within its allocation. Just like halibut.

Thanks for all the input!!

Civilized nonetheless, good stuff as well.

Thanks Cuba for pointing out that option, I really like it and it's in discussion.

El Capitan your points help draw the circle together in my brain.

Jeff

Again, good on you Jeff for this decision to support our fisheries in the best way possible, and for putting it 'out there' to get some ideas from your fishing Bros'.

The aforementioned causes are indeed worthy of anyone's consideration to support, yet I remain particularly surprised - even dumbfounded - that no one here has given the SVI Anglers Coalition so much as honorable mention as a worthy recipient of a donation.

Yes, we are a fledgling Society, but our objectives are straight & true to the cause of the recreational angler and at the rate we are growing will soon be a force to be reckoned with as we carry the torch for the Peoples fish.

Thanks for the great post and inspiration you've given others.

Fledgling Society is a community for people who want to achieve particular career goals while simultaneously helping others achieve their own goals.

Seems like odd way to put it. A rosy description maybe..... Show me a group that successfully manages its best interests, while at the same time managing the interests of the masses, and I will show you some flying pigs. haha

Why doesn't the Anglers Coalition have a derby of its own. I think you already picked them name LH, "The A.C. Derby". Or does the coalition prefer to piggyback on other events (SFBC, Shootout, ?????) that have already had the organizing end taken care of. A lobbyist in Ottawa would be great, I only hope that by the time they get there, its not to late. Or that person isn't persuaded to lean more towards Ottawa than the West Coast because its not easy being the odd-man out, with a message that will probably get under the skin of a few folks sitting in office.

I'm not sure if Washington state has a lobbyist in D.C., but when I look at the success of their hatchery programs (thank them for our great fishing in june/july last year on the coast). I only wish we could do the same here. I'm not sure if that starts in Ottawa, or our own municipal or provincial levels. But to wait for Ottawa to come through while our local hatcheries are in dire need of support....well I'm not sure about that.

Someone posted putting the proceeds back into the town of Bamfield or the local economy that is holding the shootout. In the infancy of the event I think this is a great idea. Sink it into promotion of the next years event. So that in the following annual years produce more interest, and money. Advertising, airtime, ect....

Back